1.7

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser:

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Owner Comments

Apr 092014

FJ Cruiser 6-cyl

I recently purchased a 2007 Toyota Fj cruiser with 95K miles on it. All was fine for about a month until I started experiencing unexplained accelerating and RPM surging when driving below 30 mph and regularly while stopped in traffic with my foot on the brake. It's not a huge rev, but rather the engine will suddenly rise from normal idle RPM to about 1300 RPM, then back down again. I can feel the transmission grabbing and I have to keep the brake depressed to keep from taking off. The surge generally lasts for less than 10 seconds and then goes away for a short time. I can get it to duplicate the problem (at a stop, in gear) almost anytime. If you are not paying close attention and happen to lift your foot off the brake, the vehicle will lurch forward start to accelerate until the transmission downshifts. I fear that this will cause a serious accident someday, and someone could get hurt or killed. I have taken it to my local mechanic who says that he can't quite figure it out.

- Fountain City, WI, USA