2004 Toyota Highlander brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Highlander:

2004 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

May 012014

Highlander 4-cyl

My vehicle is having an issue where the vehicle stability control and ABS are being disabled. This is the default mode whenever there is an issue. It is now occurring every time I start my car.

- Avon, IN, USA

Sep 092014

Highlander 6-cyl

Brake pedal goes to floor very slowly and vehicle slowly creeps forward. Master cylinder was replaced with new. (history: At 79000 miles the Toyota factory recall to replace the master cylinder cup kit was performed by Toyota dealer ).

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

Jan 102013

Highlander 6-cyl

While parallel parking and slowly backing into the parking space, my vehicle suddenly accelerated backward crashing into the vehicle parked behind me. My vehicle continued accelerating backward into the other vehicle and pushed it back even though I was applying the brakes as hard as I could. I then put my vehicle into drive while applying the brakes, and it immediately lunged forward crashing into the vehicle in front of me. While continuing to accelerate forward, with the brakes applied, my vehicle pushed that vehicle into the vehicle in front of it. I then turned off the ignition and my vehicle stopped moving. All four vehicles sustained damage. There were no occupants in the other parked vehicles. Repairs to my vehicle totaled $4,076, plus $1,444 for a rental car. I also received a summons for careless driving. I believe the accident was the result of sudden unintended acceleration due to a defect in the electronic throttle control system.

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Jul 152012

Highlander

I was pulling into a parking space in a parking lot, going less than 5 miles per hour. As I turned into the spot, the car lurched ahead, so quickly, that slamming on the brakes still caused me to slide a bit. I ended up hitting a car parked in the spot in front of me, and causing $1400 worth of damage (to my front bumper and the other cars rear bumper). I had a friend in the car with me who vouched for this. I have never had an accident before, and was completely baffled by what happened. After googling this, I see that this car has had several similar incidents, and I am now worried about the safety of my car. I am unsure how to proceed, as I have read that mechanics seem unable to duplicate the event that occurs where it seems to accelerate rapidly. Very embarrassing- I have never had a car accident before!

- Lakeville, MN, USA