2004 Toyota Highlander steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Highlander:

2004 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Feb 232006

Highlander 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Toyota Highlander V6. At 45,000 miles, I noticed a clunking sensation in my steering wheel. Long story short, Toyota said it was a failed U-joint and had to replace my steering column assembly (part # 45220-48150) at a cost of $490 to me. Not covered by 5 yr/ 60000 mi drive train warranty or 3 yr/36000 mi either. I learned in an Highlander owners' chat room that I am not alone. Several people commented they have the same issue. The problem also occurs with Camry (which has the same chassis). The other owners complain of a long part backorder which sounds like this may be a widespread problem. Does this qualify for a recall and could I get my $490 refunded if so? thank you.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA