2006 Toyota Highlander seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Highlander:

2006 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Feb 222013

Highlander

I swerved to avoid a deer and hit a concrete abutment on the side of the road. The Toyota Highlander was totaled.the Highlander airbag did not work properly; I hit the steering wheel column very hard and received a concussion. Also a damaged disk in my neck, whiplash, chest contusions, and facial abrasions.

- Coarsegold, CA, USA

Oct 222014

Highlander

We heard on the news that there is a recall on air bags on different make cars, and Toyota was on the list. This was on news October 22,2014. The air bag was called taecota, or taycota.

- Magalia, CA, USA

Mar 212011

Highlander

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander. The contact stated that the passengers side air bag malfunctioned. The air bag light was not illuminated when there was a passenger in the seat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated the signal was broken. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Oct 132011

Highlander

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander. The contact stated that while sitting in the front passenger seat, the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the computer had determined that the vehicle was involved in a crash. The dealer reset the air bag and the warning light was no longer illuminated. The failure recurred several times later. The dealer replaced the electronic control unit but to no avail. The dealer also stated that there was weight limit on the seat that caused the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and confirmed that the vehicle was performing as designed. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jan 162010

Highlander

Basics are the wheel on my 2006 innova split inhalf while driving down the road at 25kph. Innova was maintaned by Toyota so improper wheel installation would also be their problem. This wheel was recalled in vietnam around Dec. 2009, a mechanic at Toyota of philippines has told me Toyota knew of the bad philippine wheels but they could not track them and same wheels may be in the usa! for a longer story as to what has happened and what Toyota has not done can be found on my old site. www.filipinavisa.com/innova I am a retired faa wg-4749 so am well versed on metal fatigue and much more. I am also a 100% service connected vet. There are no proper testing labs in the philippines. Please go to the above link to really understand what is ongoing. Your form does not list the proper model so I had to select what you have.

- Asheville Nc, NC, USA

Jun 102008

Highlander

I was hit at approx 40-50 mph forcing my car into the car in front of me in traffic both of us ad a dead stop on rte 1 South saugus MA. I have a Toyota Highlander, airbags were not deployed and looks like they should have considering the impact that I made to the vehicle in front of me after I was hit. I have neck, shoulder and back injuries.

- Danvers, MA, USA

Oct 112006

Highlander 4-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 20 mph on rainy, wet and slippery conditions, an approaching vehicle struck the contact's vehicle on the passenger side. The contact's vehicle spun and was thrown onto the curb. The contact lost consciousness for a short period of time. A seatbelt was worn and none of the 6 airbags deployed. There was no warning signals prior to the incident. The vehicle was partially wrecked on the passenger side, and a police report was taken. The manufacturer was notified and promised a call back within 2 business days. The consumer was told by Toyota that the force was not strong enough for the airbags to deploy. Updated 10/30/06.

- Glenside, PA, USA