2006 Toyota Highlander steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Highlander:

2006 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Aug 152015

Highlander

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Highlander. While making a right turn at approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the instrument panel illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,085. Updated 04/06/16

- Pooler, GA, USA

Jul 052015

Highlander

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander. While driving at 35 mph the steering seized and made steering the vehicle very difficult. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing; however, the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The mechanic cleaned the power steering pump, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Kenner, LA, USA

May 102014

Highlander 6-cyl

I have owned this Highlander hybrid 2006, for exactly 1 week. There were no incidents leading up to this one while owner drove vehicle that week. Owner started car on Saturday morning to get kids to soccer game and vocal class, both missed. Upon starting vehicle driver noticed P/S warning sensor light on dashboard. Then put car in reverse and realized there was no power steering in vehicle? this was the one and only light that came on. Contacted dealership who says they will contact owner on Monday.

- Yacolt, WA, USA

Nov 102011

Highlander 6-cyl

I brought 2006-1007 Highlander hybrid vehicle in 2005 from the beginning I am having difficulties with the steering I told dealer multiple times, Toyota company multiple times about the steering problem. As soon as I drive above 25 mph my car pulls towards right very badly I have to apply lot of pressure on the steering to put on the road. Due to this I spent 1000S of dollars to do wheel alignment and steering check due to this I spent 1000S of dollars on my tires I have to change my tires every two years even though the manufacturer gives warranty for 6 years 65K miles.

- Plano, TX, USA

Feb 092010

Highlander

My Highlander hybrid 06 seems to have a low braking power mostly at low speeds and it slip, I tried to shift to N and that doesn't solve the problem. Note that the problem is frequently happens but not always. And nobody can resolve it.

- Sakhra, 00, USA

Dec 062008

Highlander

I turned on the car and the steering wheel locked up or was not powersteering any longer and for a 55 year old woman driving this car is impossible.

- North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Oct 142007

Highlander 6-cyl

Last Sunday, October 14, 2007, I was driving my 2006 Highlander hybrid at hormigueros, pr (zip code 00660), when suddenly the vehicle's steering got really stiff. It all happened at a cruising speed of 40-45 miles per hour when suddenly the vehicle's turning wheel got hard and it got really difficult to control. I surely got the scare of my life. I experienced some difficulties while trying to stop the vehicle and park it in a safe place. The vehicle's control panel indicated the following message: Verify the hybrid system. We took it the same day to the nearest dealer (the one that I also bought the vehicle) Toyota del oeste, located at hormigueros, pr (00660). My vehicle has received every service recomended by Toyota since I bought it. In October 19, 2007 Toyota del oeste gave me a quote (number PQ2105) for $5,957.45 for the repairing costs of my vehicle. The quote specified a transaxle assy for $4867.71, plus $700 for 14 labor hours and a local tax of $389.74. The dealer indicated that once the transaxle was replaced it will have one year only warranty. They also indicated that the transaxle assy was not part of the hybrid system so the warranty can not cover the repair costs (my vehicle had aprox. 66,000 miles. According to Toyota, warranty for hybrid components is 8 years / 80,000 miles). My concerns: 1) how I, as a consumer, make sure that Toyota is not making me pay for a defect that my vehicle may have from the factory? 2) how I am going to be sure that if they replace the transaxle assy I will not be exposed again to an unsafe situation related with a similar problem (remember that a large percentage of roads across the island of puerto rico are built over mountains). 3) how do I really make sure that the dealer is truly making me pay for a component that is not part of the hybrid system and can not be covered by the warranty (remember that, although other manufacturers maybe available, hybrid technology in puerto rico is dominated by Toyota.

- Hormigueros, PR, USA

Sep 302006

Highlander

2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid had problems with brakes and steering going out at the same time*** the vehicle was involved in an accident. When the consumer slammed on the brakes there was no pulsating sensation, as expected when the ABS activates. The consumer believes the brakes and steering failed at the same time. The vehicle coasted about 150 feet until it impacted another vehicle.

- Vancouver, WA, USA