2011 Toyota Highlander lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Highlander:

2011 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Jan 012011

Highlander 6-cyl

Exterior lighting poor lighting from headlight low beams. Design of car seems to get in the way of the beam causing low to no visibility. It is especially hard to see the edge of the road with the low beams and this has caused a problem with being able to see deer and avoid hitting them/being hit. I have been to the dealer on several occasions to remedy the problem. They have checked alignment, bulbs, positioning, etc. But they tell me it is a design fault of the car and there is nothing they can do. Luckily my model has white fog light. Using them at all times when I drive at night has helped me to see. I need to drive with brights on whenever possible to be able to see the road.the biggest problem comes during rain or fog because one can not use high beams because of the reflection so it is impossible to see the road at night during these conditions. I have documentation of my repair requests and accident report from deer strike if needed.

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Nov 082010

When driving at night, the new headlight design on the 2011 Toyota Highlander causes the low beam lights to appear as if there is a visor on the lights. When traveling on level roads or going up hill the headlights beam throw distance is efficient with the visor effect. However, when going down hill after cresting a knoll, the visor effect diminishes the throw distance of the headlight by an estimated 50%. this light throw reduction took me by surprise and caused me to almost hit a deer this evening on the first night of ownership. Toyota needs to make a change to get rid of the visor effect. Request NHTSA investigate this new design before numerous accidents occur. I am contacting Toyota tomorrow to see what they have to say.

- Lithopolis, OH, USA