4.7

2012 Toyota Highlander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Highlander:

2012 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Oct 082016

Highlander

Door lock/unlock stopped working about 1 year ago. I was told by the dealer that I had to cover the diagnostic test. I got it done today and was told that the 3 defective doors have an issue and some part must be changed at a tune of $1700! if the car has an electrical issue, the manufacturer should cover it, especially because it involves 3 out of 4 doors. There was nothing I did or could have done to mess up the 3 doors.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Jun 012016

Highlander

Rear tailgate no longer works.started not closing off and on in Jun. 2016. Finally stopped working all together in Aug 2016. Took to my local dealership to see why it was not working they diagnosed it as a broken motor.I would be responsible for the cost to fix it.since it is now out of warranty. They would not cover it under warranty even though there is a Toyota service bulletin on it in 2012 and many class action law suits filed on it.

- Columbia City, IN, USA

Aug 082015

Highlander

Rear tailgate no longer works.started not closing off and on in Jan. 2015. Finally stopped working all together in August 2015.took to my local dealership to see why it was not working they diagnosed it as a broken motor.I would be responsible for the cost to fix it.since it is now out of warranty. Contacted the Toyota corporation they went over my complaint and said they would not cover it under warranty even though there is a Toyota service bulletin on it in 2012 and many class action law suits filed on it.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Apr 132015

Highlander

The door locks on my 2012 Toyota Highlander stopped working. With only 17300 on the car, all 4 doors wont close with the key fob, or on the door. They open but dont close, I have to manually close each door lock every time I want the doors locked. Am I the only owner?I bought the car brand new, and as soon as it came out of warranty the door locks stopped working. I disconnected the auto close when I put the car in drive, now the doors close once in a while from the key fob.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 072015

Highlander

The rear passenger door lock no longer works. It has to be manually locked and unlocked. I see that many other people have complained about the same type failure in their vehicles at approximately the same mileage-right around the time the warranty has expired or soon after. It seems that this is a common enough problem that it should be fixed at Toyota's expense.

- Concord, NC, USA

Apr 222015

Highlander

The door locks on my 2012 Toyota Highlander stopped working. With only 17500 on the car, all 4 doors wont close with the key fob, or on the door. They open but dont close, I have to manually close each door lock every time I want the doors locked. I am the only owner, I bought the car brand new, and as soon as it came out of warranty the door locks stopped working.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Highlander 6-cyl

2012 Toyota Highlander limited door lock actuators began to fail at about 40K miles. The initial failure began with rt front passenger door, but all four doors began to fail to lock or unlock intermittently by smart key remote or by driver side door controls (sometimes all the doors would fail to unlock). Emergency access to any of the passengers would be a concern. At 47K miles, two of the doors' actuators (rt front passenger & lt rear passenger) had totally failed, and are being replaced by dealership at owner's expense of $900 plus $125 diagnostic fee. Web research of multiple Toyota and automotive forums have revealed that similar door actuator failures have occurred with other Toyota models and years, many reporting failures that occur immediately following expiration of warranty at 3yrs/36K miles. Based on other Toyota owners' reports on this issue, we are concerned that the other two door actuators are likely to fail in the near future.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 152014

Highlander

At approximately 30,000 miles the driver's side rear door lock actuator had to be replaced, which was covered under warranty. Since that time, the driver's side front door failed at approximately 40,000 miles and was replaced outside of warranty and now the passenger side rear door has also failed. Three of the four door lock actuators have failed between 30,000 and 42,000 miles and only one was covered under warranty.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Mar 142014

Highlander 6-cyl

Right front door does not lock or unlock using the keyless remote have to manually lock and unlock the door. Took it to the dealer and had to have the actuator replaced on March 17th, 2014. Now on April 8th, 2014 driver side door does not lock or unlock using keyless remote again having to manually lock and unlock the door. Taken to the dealer again and has to have the actuator replaced. Two actuators needing to be replaced in less than 1 month. SUV needs to be recalled.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jan 232013

Highlander 6-cyl

While parked at a curbside, with engine idling, I spontaneously decided to adjust my tilt steering column (up/down) to see if there was a more comfortable position to drive. When I moved the column down for the first time (I had never tried to adjust the position previously, since I bought the car one year earlier), the car's engine immediately shut off. I could not re-start the engine and all I kept thinking was thank-goodness I was not driving, as I had lost engine, steering and braking power. The recent headlines about GM's ignition switch problems and drivers suddenly losing control while driving made me realize that I could have easily been in a similar catastrophic loss of control situation, because of the tilt-steering problem I encountered. I thank the stars that I was not driving or on a highway when this occurred. My car had to be towed to the dealer for repair. Apparently, an ignition switch wire somehow became detached or broken due to my single tilt action. Scary indeed.

- Massapequa Park, NY, USA

Aug 032012

Highlander 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Highlander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph and steering to the right, the engine suddenly emitted an abnormal noise. The contact also stated that the headlights would not shut off intermittently when powering off the vehicle. In addition, the defroster for the rear window would not function properly, causing the windows to remain foggy for a long period of time. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician advised that there were no failures. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000 and the current mileage was 3,300. Updated 1/29/13

- Yonkers, NY, USA