2013 Toyota Highlander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Highlander:

2013 Toyota Highlander Owner Comments

Aug 022016

Vehicle hesitates when accelerating, usually when making a turn from a stop or moving slowly. It is especially hazardous when trying to make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic. Has happened multiple times, not just the date below. The dealer can not duplicate the problem. We bought the car in early 2014 new, and noticed this problem before 5,000 miles. The car now has 22,000 miles and it still does this intermittently.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 202015

After pressing the ignition button to turn off the engin when in park, I came back to the car to find it running. This happened several times. I reported it to the dealer who said thay had no information nor were there any builtins fro totota. Parked the car at the phl airport for 5 days, came back to find no gas. Car had been running wile I was gone until it ran out of gas. Saw in the news that a us senator from pa was investigating these events. October 2016

- Long Beach Township, NJ, USA

Dec 132013

Car hesitates upon accelerating from a stop as if it was coasting. It doesn't happen every time but it has occurred from the day I bought it. The hesitation can be from 2-4 seconds. It also happens when turning from a stop. Playing with the gas pedal doesn't seem to help but, curiously, shifting into neutral and then back to drive seem to stop the hesitation. I haven't explored this rigorously; just tried it a couple of times. I complained to the dealer and they have denied it is a problem: Obviously they don't know what to do with it.

- Glenn Dale, MD, USA

Jun 202014

The complaint has to do with computer systems on this vehicle. Some of the complaint is convenience, but worrisome because other systems seem to be involved as well. The computer screen has always been slow/hesitent, with various "glitches". vehicle has gps mapping screen which occassionally "disconnects" and resets to blank screen. The bluetooth and other systems have also "disconnected" and couldn't be reset until the vehicle was stopped and turned off. The headlights sometimes do not shut off, day/night doesn't work properly. Have had occassional problems with door locks not working as they should. Never know when and which systems will be affected. I have also filed a complaint about intermitent non-acceleration issues, which maybe related.

- Spanaway, WA, USA

Apr 022015

On April, 2015, my vehicle was parked in my driveway. The leather panel on the door on the drivers' side melted with the sun reflecting on it. I have been living in this house for 33 years and have parked many cars in the same location. It also it not very hot in my area in April. This is clearly a defect in the material. The leather gets so hot with the sun and can easily burn you if touched with your bare skin. I contacted my local dealership, greentree Toyota, brookfield, ct. The manager there was baffled "never saw anything like that before." About 2 weeks later, I contacted him since I heard nothing back. He advised that the district service and parts manager will not replace the leather since it's not a defect in workmanship. Of course no - it's a defect in material! I was told that since there are no other claims of this type, it is not a defect. I then contacted Toyota corporate offices. They advised that they cannot overrule the district service and parts manager in this particular area"????" I'm hoping your company can offer some help in this matter.

- Brewster, NY, USA

May 142014

Highlander 6-cyl

The rear window of the vehicle shattered while it was parked for no apparent reason.

- Cameron, NC, USA

Jul 202013

July 20, 2013 I pushed the ignition button to turn off the engine. I exited the vehicle and immediately realized it was still moving. I attempted to get back in the vehicle to stop it. I fell and the back tire ran over my foot/leg. A man came and jumped in the car to stop it after it crossed the street and hit a parked car. I have both a fractured tibia and fibula. The tibia required a screw to stabilize however, my foot was so injured (torn flesh) that I had to wait 5 weeks for the flesh to heal to avoid infection. I have been off of work since July 22 to date (September 5,2013). I realize how fortunate I am in that it appears I have not sustained a permanent disability. I shudder to think how much more tragic this could have been for multiple innocent people. I am unsure of how to give notice to others to prevent further injuries. It was recommended that I report this to NHTSA.

- Lake Jackson, TX, USA