2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid:

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Owner Comments

May 022016

Highlander Hybrid

ABS acuator is not working!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 172015

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

I was driving on a straight highway between 45 -50 mph. Sudden a bunch of lights and warnings came up in the dashboard. I lost power steering and motor propulsion too. I pressed the accelerator and nothing happened. Although I had the ability to brake, it seemed that the braking was also impaired. However because I was going up an incline I did not need strong braking. I managed to coast over to the breakdown lane. Luckily there were only a couple other cars near me so it wasn't too difficult to maneuver by them and coast to the other side of the road where the breakdown lane was. Once I was completely stopped I shut the car down completely and restarted in the normal hybrid startup manner. The car propulsion and steering came back but now the message was alternating between "maintenance needed" and "check vsc system", and the check engine light and symbol was on. I shut off everything electrical to minimize electrical drain. I was able to drive the car another 8-10 miles to get home but I was constantly looking to see where I could pull over if the car stopped again. I made it home. Tomorrow bring it to the Toyota dealer. Significantly, I recently had the brake actuator replaced at a cost of around $2700, specifically because they warned me that I could lose braking and other electronic facilities unpredictably. I thought that expensive repair would avoid this. Unfortunately it appears that what they were predicting could happen did happen, but after the repair! I was on a highway when the car died but with not much traffic and an easy access breakdown lane. Had it been 10 minutes later I might have been on a much busier highway in a place where a breakdown lane is much harder to reach. That would have been a dangerous situation. Had it been daytime and in a safer area I would have stopped and called for a tow truck.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Apr 112014

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

Took 2006 Toyota hybrid highlander in for a popping sound and vsc light, ABS brake lights on. The Toyota dealer told me it needed a new ABS accumulator for $ $28881.71. I was told this was dangerous that brakes could fail !!! upon looking I find this to be a problem with others... time for a recall !!!!!!!!!!

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Sep 202013

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

As I pulled out of the parking lot of a hotel the check vcs system, check hybrid system, check AWD system warnings began to illuminate and alternate. The master warning light, slip indicator light, check engine warning light and the electronically controlled brake system warning light were all illuminated as well. The car would drive, however, the power steering and ABS were not working. I was able to drive the car to the closest Toyota dealership. I was originally told that the car simply needed a new battery. Once the battery was replaced, I was told that the ECU for the ABS system had died and would need to be replaced at the cost of $2000. When I mentioned the recall and the fact that the symptoms were directly in line with the recall notice for the imp I was told that while my VIN fell under the boj recall, the specific serial # of my imp did not. I was also told that this was not the problem my car was having. When I asked whether the serial numbers of the D1M recall were checked I was told this was an "interim recall" and that they were not authorized to do repairs on this one yet so they couldn't check. Research has indicated that an imp failure can cause and ECU failure. Furthermore, an ECU failure would not have caused the system to go into fail safe mode as it did. I have a Toyota case #, but they have told me there is nothing they can do.

- Allen, TX, USA

Nov 012012

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

Check vsc system came on, then off, it happens a lot took it to a dealer they found nothing now the warning is on all the time, took it to the dealer and now they want $2,600.

- Bayamon, PR, USA

Sep 212011

Highlander Hybrid

Driving the upper roadway of the queensboro 59th St bridge the car just died. Flashing on the panel read check the vsc system waited for a tow around a dangerous curve, we could have been killed. Otw to the Toyota dealer to see if they will honor the recalled inverter part.

- Bellerose, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid 2wd. I tried to start the car one day and multiple warning lights came up on panel. I took a test drive around the block and noticed I did not have power brake assist, ABS or vsc. The failure never went away. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they are replacing the brake actuator and skid control computer, two parts I wouldn't expect to fail.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Feb 172011

Highlander Hybrid

While driving the vehicle up a slight incline in the street after driving about 10 miles, it suddenly stopped moving. The engine was still on but the car would not go forward or backwards. The message on the dash was first check csv (or vsc) and then check hybrid system. The police had to push the car out of the intersection and the car was hauled to the Toyota dealer. I have not heard from them in 6 days what the problem is.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Feb 182011

Highlander Hybrid

I made a right hand turn and was accelerating, heard a pop and the car shut down. I coasted to the side of the road and the car wouldn't start. The check hybrid system light came on and then the check vsc light came on. The car was towed to the dealership. Dealership said the hybrid inverter failed.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Aug 162010

Highlander Hybrid

My wife was parked in front of our apartment building, idling with her foot on the brake, when our 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid suddenly accelerated and crashed into a gate. Before the car crashed, she repeatedly applied the brake and even put the car in park. The car did not stop. After the impact, the engine continued to rev and accelerate before finally stopping. This had never happened before. The body has been repaired, but per Toyota, nothing mechanical or electronic has been touched. Last week Toyota sent a specialist out to inspect the car and download data. We were present at the time, and 5 dtc codes displayed. The descriptions displayed on the investigator's lap top mentioned vehicle speed sensors on right wheel and left wheel, the emps, body ECU switch circuit and "low or high power supply voltage". the car was test driven, and no errors or codes were reported. The car is now waiting to be taken to a dealer to be reviewed and fixed.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA