2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid:

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 052012

Highlander Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without any warnings. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnosed that the inverter needed to be replaced. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V342000 (electrical system) that may be related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Jonesburg, MO, USA

Aug 112012

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

While driving on I40 just after leaving I17 at flagstaff, AZ, during heavy rainstorm, vehicle decelerated abruptly to about 45 mph (while on cruise control set at 65), managed to pull off at next off ramp and car died completely about halfway up offramp (country club road exit). Warning messages included "check hybrid system", "check 4WD system", and "check avs system". after calling findlay Toyota in flagstaff and while waiting for tow truck, turned system off for a few minutes and attempted restart which was successful and drove to Toyota dealership. After 2 days of diagnostic checks and technician calls with Toyota, they tried to tell me problem was dirty mass air flow sensor. This vehicle had received recall notice and had inverter and avs system replaced at a little over 100,000 miles. Extreme safety hazard with power system failure on interstate in rainstorm surrounded by 18 wheelers.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 202012

Highlander Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. The contact stated that while attempting to reverse from a residential drive way, the vehicle exhibited a loud popping noise and all of the warning lamps illuminated. The contact mentioned that immediately after the failure occurred, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the inverter and electronic control unit was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 11V342000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 113,000.

- Poway, CA, USA

Sep 042010

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

Driving in 6 lanes of heavy traffic we heard a 'thunk' and lost all power. I wrestled the vehicle to get it to coast off of the road. Car was towed to Toyota dealer where it was found that the inverter needed to be replaced. Cost was $7600, after a substantial discount from the dealer, who was obviously embarrassed about charging so much for a single part. The incident could have caused an accident, since all power and electrically assisted driving functions failed simultaneously. Fortunately it didn't. subsequently I found that Toyota had upgraded their inverters beginning in 2007. We have also received in 2011 from Toyota an "interim safety recall notice" for the inverter, but have heard nothing since.

- Ennis, TX, USA

Mar 202012

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

My hh has about 160,000 miles on it. I had received recall notice and called my local Toyota dealership 3 to 5 times, each time was put over to "recall center", which equals voice mail with no return call. Ever. Last week when I was driving on the highway, my vehicle suddenly stopped running and was flashing error messages on dashboard, including check hybrid system. It ended up at the dealer as closest mechanic did not have computer system to check it. I asked the dealer to check and repair the recall(s) while they repaired the car. They ended up telling me that the issue, while related to a recall involving part of the inverter, that the parts required for the repair would cost $9000 over what the recall involved, but that, they would be so nice as to only charge me $4000 for the repair because the car had been serviced every 5000 miles up to 100,000 miles at a Toyota dealership. In researching this problem, I see that thousands of 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid owners have had same problem and, in fact, Toyota acknowledged problem not only by changing the inverter in 2007 models, but also by doing this complete repair job that my vehicle needs for many, many owners for under $1000. The dealership has been inadequately responsive to these issues; I have now contacted Toyota's "customer experience center" and am awaiting their response.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Mar 052012

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. While driving approximately 65 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of all of the warning indicators on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 11V342000 (electrical system) and stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for repairs but the dealer experienced difficulties in performing the remedy for the recall defect. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000. Updated 5/11/12

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Feb 022012

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

I swerved and stopped suddenly when someone pulled out from a side street to avoid a collision. When I tried to restart the car, I couldn't. everything "seized" up. I just could not move the car. I had to have it towed to the dealership. They investigated and said that the actuator was stuck open and allowing brake fluid to continually enter the wheels, thereby engaging the brakes. In fact, the mechanic could only move the car once he disabled either the brakes or the actuator, he wasn't specific. From reading other customer discussions online, it appears that this part is supposed to have a lifetime warranty. My dealership looked up the general warranty and said that this wouldn't be covered. My car has had regular maintenance. I think a part like this should be covered and it should be recalled.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 192012

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

Driving home and car lost power. "check hybrid system" light came on. Luckily, it was late, so there was no traffic, as the car just died. I was able to make it to the side of the road and put into park before rolling back down he hill we were driving up. Car towed to the local dealer who stated that the inverter failed, and would cost $9,000 to repair, which is not much less than what the car is worth when it is running. Car has been recalled, but dealer says the parts serial number is not part of the recall. Called Toyota corporate who has assigned a case manager who is to contact me within one business day.

- Portola Hills, CA, USA

Dec 132011

Highlander Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V342000 (electrical system). The dealer refused to repair the failure without giving reasonable explanation to the contact. The manufacturer was notified and sided with the dealer, advising the contact that they would release another notice to inform consumers when they would be available to perform the work recall work on selected vehicles. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 136,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 012011

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

The front window defroster and heater controller potentiometer assembly is defective. Ice build-up on the front window is known to impair a driver's visibility and cause an accident. The nut on my temperature controller was several turns loose! the original multi-stranded wires soldered to the temp-controller potentiometer were rigid because they were too well tinned with solder and broke from vibration fatigue; due to the loose nut on the temp-controller potentiometer shaft. Toyota or sumitomo (vendor) should cover this under an extended warranty due to the loose nuts (poor workmanship)! the problem is well documented with photos at "www.devalcourt.com/2010/03/fixing-2004-Toyota-highlander-ac-and-heat-issue/#idc-cover". over 385 people have left comments there; several other websites document the same problem.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 192011

Highlander Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. The contact was driving 30 mph when the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check hybrid and vrc system warning lights. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The test result showed a defect in the hybrid battery. The contact did not authorize the dealer to perform any more tests or repairs on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- San Barbara, CA, USA

Feb 022011

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

Toyota is not following cra (corrective repair action) for pre-notification remedies. According to the defect information report dated June 29, 2011 regarding inverter failure recall, item 7 "the owner letter will instruct vehicle owners who have paid to have this condition remedied prior to this campaign to seek reimbursement pursuant to Toyota's general reimbursement plan." However, the 'interim' recall notification letter to owners did not supply instructions to vehicle owners who paid to have the condition remedied. The inverter in my 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid failed. I replaced the inverter at my own expense. I contacted Toyota motors Corp customer care and they requested that I have the vehicle inspected to document the repair was completed, mail or fax the paid invoice for the inverter, proof of ownership and the inspection report in for payment. This information was faxed and sent via us mail on October 19, 2011. I was contacted via phone by Toyota motors Corp on 11/10/11 and was informed that my claim was denied because "Toyota does not have a recall" on the inverter. I referred the Toyota representative to the NHTSA website. I was told my claim was denied because the letter was an 'interim letter" and not a recall. I was informed that because the part is not officially recalled, I would need to wait until it was official because Toyota does not have a remedy for the failure. My concern is that the 'interim' letter is almost 4 months old and Toyota does not offer relief to owners. Further, I am very concerned that the Toyota representative told me repeatedly that they do not have a recall on this part.

- Grand Rapids , MI, USA

Sep 212011

Highlander Hybrid

Driving the upper roadway of the queensboro 59th St bridge the car just died. Flashing on the panel read check the vsc system waited for a tow around a dangerous curve, we could have been killed. Otw to the Toyota dealer to see if they will honor the recalled inverter part.

- Bellerose, NY, USA

Sep 022011

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

There have been four incidents with this vehicle in which the hybrid system shutting down. The first three times the vehicle was fine when I turned it off, but would not restart. With all three of these incidents the vehicle would restart with no issues after a few hours. The csv and the check hybrid system lights as well as most of the panel lights would come on. The dealership checked it two times and said it was fine. In the most recent event, I was waiting at the bottom of a driveway. When I went to proceed I pressed the accelerator and the engine made a loud sound that seemed equivalent to it running at a high RPM. The car would not go forward or reverse. I turned the car off and then on again, it made the same sound and again did not move. The csv and the "check hybrid system" lights as well as the panel lights came on. I rolled the car out of the driveway and turned it off again. Due to the previously described history of the car, I chose to wait an hour before trying to restart it. After waiting an hour, I attempted to restart the car and the exact same things happened. After putting the car on the scope the dealership could not determine the problem. I was called after two days of the dealer running many tests and told it was the inverter. The price quoted to me was $8000. I insisted that they needed to look into the Toyota recall of the hybrid inverters. I was told my vehicle was checked by another dealership on August 15,2011, and it was "cleared." I asked them to recheck this recall to see if my car fit into the category. I was informed they were not going to recheck it, but they would instead contact Toyota. Had this happened while I was driving up or down my driveway, I would most certainly would have gone over the 50 foot embankment on my driveway or the cliff directly across the street from my house.

- Perris, CA, USA

Jul 242011

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

While driving through Virginia foothills, the entire electrical system on my hybrid stopped working. I had significantly reduced braking ability, no power steering and was in heavy traffic. This could have been a very serious incident if I had to stop for an emergency. I slowly pulled over shut the system down and after a while the warning lights and warning buzzer went off.

- Fl, FL, USA

Jul 122010

Highlander Hybrid 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. In July 2010, the contact was traveling 35 mph, when she heard a loud popping noise and she also noticed that the check hybrid system warning light illuminated. The vehicle suddenly lost all power where it was towed to a dealer. The dealer inspected the vehicle and informed the contact that the inverter assembly failed. The vehicle was repaired. In July 2011, the contact experienced the same failure when she heard a loud popping noise and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the contact was informed that the inverter assembly failed again. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that her VIN was not included in recall number: 11V342000 (electrical system). The vehicle was awaiting repairs. The current mileage was 98,600. The approximate failure mileage was 79,072. Updated 09/15/11 the consumer stated Toyota finally admitted the vehicle was apart of a recall. The inverter assembly was replaced for the second time. However, the actual part that was recall, would not be available until the January 2012. Updated 11/18/11

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Aug 272006

Highlander Hybrid

While driving at speed on the highway the inverter/converter failed the vehicle was coasted to a stop on the highway shoulder. Now again on 04/28/2011 with 88,856 miles on the vehicle the same failure has occurred while acceleration up-hill on the highway at about 40 mph. Most of the damaged components (inverter/converter & an ECU) where covered by warranty. I am very concerned about the safety of this vehicle and my wife continuing to drive it even though it has been repaired again.

- Morrison, CO, USA

May 022011

Highlander Hybrid

On May 2, 2011 the inverter assembly broke down.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Apr 122011

Highlander Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid. While driving approximately 65 mph the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technicians stated that the inverter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Mar 212011

Highlander Hybrid

The 2006 Highlander hybrid was parked on a steep hill. Turned on the ignition, put it into reverse, and went about one foot (uphill) when it made a loud "clank" sound and stopped. "check vsc", "check hybrid", and "check AWD" warning messages were then displayed on the instrument panel. I could not turn the engine on and drive it, so I had it towed to a local Toyota dealer where it was diagnosed as having an inverter failure. Within 4 days, the inverter was replaced under warranty.

- Baltimore, MD, USA