Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2004 Toyota Matrix drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Matrix:

2004 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Oct 242013

Low noise from engine area, then heard a pop or thud. After this came a scratchy/grinding noise when car was in gear and coasting. The noise went away when clutch was depressed or car was taken out of gear to coast. I called a service repair to make an appointment the same day. The very next day the car locked up and was undriveable. Sounded like the engine had fallen out the bottom with horrible metal grinding noise. I had to have it towed ($150) and the service center said I would need a new transmission and clutch and that this is a common problem with Toyota Matrix and corolla. After reading online, it seems there is a problem with Toyota owners with low miles having bearing issues and that this problem has gone unaddressed. Even though I was going only 10 miles per hour, the car locks up. This issue will kill someone, someday. Cost of repair will be around $3,100+.

- Milwaukie, OR, USA

Nov 152012

My car started making a weird noise. When the clutch was pushed in, the noise would stop. 3 weeks later I had to go to work so I got on the highway and the noise was getting louder and louder. My front wheels locked up and my transmission shot me out of gear. A car almost hit me which would of cost my life. I will never buy a Toyota again. It costs $2000 to fix. Hopefully you guys do something before someone gets seriously injured.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Oct 202010

Matrix 4-cyl

Started making loud noise, then locking up. Could not shift or get into gear.

- Orange, MA, USA