CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2.7

2004 Toyota Matrix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Matrix:

2004 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Jan 112016

Matrix

The engine burns excessive amounts of oil and has now starting making what appears to be either faulty lifter or camshaft noises. The Matrix burns at least 1 quart of oil for every 1000 miles driven. I do regular maintenance and monitor the oil level weekly.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Mar 042014

Matrix 4-cyl

I was leaving a parking lot on an incline when the car accelerated without stepping on gas pedal. I applied significant pressure to the brakes and immediately put car in neutral. The car returned to normal operation. This is the third incident of this type.

Jan 232014

Matrix 4-cyl

As I was leaving the highway via the exit, I stopped at the end of ramp leading to secondary highway. The vehicle's engine then unexpectedly accelerated while my foot was on the brake. The brakes seemed to barely keep it from propelling. I immediately put the car in neutral and the rpms returned to normal.

Dec 312013

Matrix

I was leaving a supermarket parking lot on an incline. The speed was approximately less than 2 mph. The vehicle suddenly revved loudly, attempting to lunge forward. I immediately applied brakes with substantial force, barely stopping the vehicle. I then put the car in neutral. The engine returned to normal rpms. I placed the car in drive without problem, returning home.