Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2005 Toyota Matrix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Matrix:

2005 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Dec 032015

I had to replace my engine control module (ECM) because the engine would loose power and cut off while driving on street. This became noticeable after a rain storm. I was told because my vehicle was a matrix xrs, it was not included in a recall for the other matrix models; therefore I spent approx. $1000 in having the ECM replaced. I had all of the same cited symptoms. Please include my engine in the recall so I may be reimbursed. Thanks you.

- Moore, SC, USA

Dec 072015

Car turns off while I'm driving and will not turn on right away, check engine light turns on and off, there's a lag when it is switching gears, feels very forced.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Dec 032014

Air bag panel light has been coming on and off. The model year is 2005, but the car was made possibly in 2004. The dealer refused to inspect without charge then telling me that recall is for not this model year. The brake, when the ABS is on in snow conditions, car take too long to stop, keeps kidding. Also engine revs without driver input when stopped or idling. Toyota dealer denied, to be their problem.

- Prospects Heights , IL, USA

Nov 042014

Matrix 4-cyl

While driving the car stalls. Mainly the issue appears to happen when turning. Suddenly, and only occasionally, the car dies while turning. All lights are lost and power steering gives out. Since the lights on the car and the power steering give out, it is a scary issue. We have to put the car in neutral (since we're driving) and restart the engine. Back in 2010 we brought our car in for the 2010 recall where they replaced the part, although we never had a stalling issue then. Our car is still at the dealership being looked at but we were told by Toyota corporate that this isn't an issue related to the 2010 stalling recall, so it would not be covered even if the same part that was replaced during the recall is the one that needs to be replaced again. Additionally, the dealership is having trouble identifying the cause of the issue.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Jan 132014

Matrix 4-cyl

The Matrix began having various electrical problems, including engine warning lights turning off and on, airbag warnings, clock and headlights/brakelights turning off and on. We have brought it in to several mechanics for checks and various repairs, to no avail. Most recently, a dealer shop diagnosed that the ECM is likely failing, and in looking at the records from another dealer shop noticed that the ECM was on back order in 2011 to install a new one after a recall, but that a new one was never installed. However, my service records show that the first dealer shop told me (fraudulently?) that it was in fact installed. The car may not be safe to drive, but I have not been successful to this point in getting it repaired. The second shop informed me that the first dealer shop is responsible.

- Portland, OR, USA