CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2005 Toyota Matrix seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Matrix:

2005 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Oct 292016

Matrix

Takata recall. Toyota says I should not drive my car without replacing the air bag. Their dealer has no parts. I have been waiting 6 months. They continue to bug me to fix the car. They fail to provide parts. I cannot get a resolution.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 012016

Matrix

Spiral cable assembly with electrical connections damaged. Airbag light stays on when the steering wheel is turned. A recall for 2009-2010 Matrix is in effect (www.autonews.com/article/20140409/copy01/304099971/Toyota-recalls-more-than-6-million-vehicles) but 2005 Matrix and other years are actually also affected by these defect. A recall for 2005 Matrix to replace airbag module is announced by Toyota but not for damaged spiral cable assembly which should be related to the airbag module defect as the airbag module is attached to the spiral cable assembly

- Calgary Ab T2c 1g7 Canada, MA, USA

Jul 152015

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Matrix. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced any failures. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Sep 302016

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V286000 (air bags). The part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hamilton, GA, USA

May 132016

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Matrix. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 022016

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Matrix. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated and the clock failed to work. The contact later received a recall notice concerning the air bags. The dealer scheduled the recall repair, but the remedy failed. After the repair, the air bag indicator illuminated again and the clock continued not to function. There were also various warning indicators that flashed on the instrument cluster after the repair. The dealer was notified and indicated that they were been unable to replicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 11/01/16

- Palm Desert, CA, USA

Aug 242016

Matrix

Takaya recall had passenger side recall completed, airbag light came on, code indicated drivers side airbag clock spring. Repairs completed at Toyota of redlands, redlands ca. Cost $502

- Highland, CA, USA

Aug 042016

Matrix

Takata recall. Where to start. I received a letter in June 2015 about the recall. In December 2015 I filed a complaint with you because nothing was being done. Still nothing. In May 2016 my daughter received a letter also for the takata recall on her yaris with a letter saying not to let anyone ride in her front seat. Seriously? I was not told this. I could have killed someone or seriously injured them. (my daughter needs a rental btw because I doint want her driving her car till it is safe) when my dad found out he went to Toyota and guess what? suddenly they had the part for my car and ordered my daughters. They put it in yesterday. When I went to get my car I was informed that my passenger air bag light was on and that it needed a spiral assembly. For $476. Right. They said it was not related or covered. I found a web page with sixty three people who had the exact same thing happen to them. Now both my airbag lights are on and my clock does not work. I dont have the money to fix this. It is causing me extreme stress as I take care of my elderly mom and my grand daughter. I believe it is related. God only knows how many others this hhas happened to. It can not be a coincidence.I feel another recall needs to be done as the did do one in Canada but on adifferent model car. Cant remember...#nomoretoyotas

- Hesperia, CA, USA

May 262016

- Woburn, MA, USA

May 012016

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 152015

Matrix 4-cyl

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect. Updated 07/12/16 updated 07/19/16.

- Copenhagen, NY, USA

Feb 022002

Matrix 4-cyl

Takata recall. In regards to my recall airbag repair, why is it that my 2004 Toyota corolla already had the repair performed" seems I get a different answer everytime I ask that question. Now my 2005 Corolla matrix which is currently 11 years old is finally having this repair performed. And Toyota's recommendation is that I do not operate the vehicle with an occupant in the front passenger seat. What about the previous 11 years that rode in that seat with the same defect" if Toyota truly cared about my safety, they should have made that suggestion when they first knew of it. But they probably wouldn't have sold very many 4 passenger corollas set-up with 3 people in the back seat and only the driver sitting in front. Heck, to ensure the safety of their customers they should have removed the front passenger seat or removed the back of that seat along with the seat-belt to guarantee nobody rides in that seat. But none of those things happened simply because truth be told, it only became a safety issue once Toyota had to come to terms with the defect; their behavior is simply unacceptable. A sincere apology would state "for any inconveniences this has caused." Instead of "we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this will cause, but we are taking this action to ensure your safety." Caught in their own lie is what really occurred again if they truly cared we would have known about this problem asap.....the people I feel the most pain for are those unfortunate people who got into a front car accident and did everything right, but their airbag, that was supposed to save their life, wound up either injuring them or not doing its intended job all while Toyota knew of the problem. I hope nobody lost their life due to this because no amount of money can ever bring back that person. Just so un-Japanese behavior by a Japanese company, shame Toyota motors.

- El Mirage, AZ, USA

Jun 052015

Matrix

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags) was received in June of 2015. After contacting the dealer and the manufacturer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Manahawkine, NJ, USA

Sep 252015

Matrix

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact stated that the air bag light remained illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,608. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 032015

Matrix 4-cyl

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Corolla matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.....updated 07/05/16 updated 07/21/16.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Apr 202016

Matrix

Takata recall - I received a letter several months ago informing me my Matrix was recalled for the air bag inflators. I was told I'd be contacted when the parts were available. After hearing nothing, I went to Toyota's website. It says the part should have been available in my area starting in Dec. 2015. I contacted my local dealer, & they told me they couldn't do the repair until the end of Aug. 2016. It will have been about a year & a half since I was informed of the recall - this is a totally unacceptable amount of time. Meanwhile, they suggest no one ride in the passenger seat until the repair is complete. Toyota is doing a terrible job with this whole thing.

- Oakdale, NY, USA

Jan 052016

Matrix

I got a recall for the airbags. I'm kind of wondering if I should be driving my car.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Apr 012016

Matrix

Takata recall - in June 2015, I was notified by Toyota that my Matrix had been added to the list of vehicles affected by the takata recall and that I should contact my local dealer to set up repairs. When I called I was told that I would be contacted again once the parts were available. I have now received the notification that parts are available, nearly 10 months after the initial notification. What troubles me is that in the latest letter it states " until this remedy is performed, we recommend that you do not operate the vehicle with an occupant in the front passenger seat." Why didn't they mention this before" why didn't they provide the repairs sooner" what if I had been in an accident with someone in the front passenger seat, they might have been severely injured or possibly killed. Why are these large companies allowed to put others at risk simply by performing some sort of failure analysis when peoples lives are at risk.

- Vail, AZ, USA

Mar 282016

Matrix

Recall has not been fixed

- Fennville, MI, USA

Jun 162015

Matrix

Takata recall: I received a safety recall notice for my 2005 Toyota matrix in the mail over 9 months ago stating that when parts are available, Toyota will reach out to me to "remedy the defect". and that in the the meantime "until the remedy becomes available in my location, it is recommended that I do not operate the vehicle with an occupant in the front passenger seat." I have not received any further notifications regarding this and believe that Toyota has failed to remedy the defect within a reasonable time. Please let me know at your earliest convenience when I can expect to have this remedied.

- Upland, CA, USA