CarComplaints.com Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2006 Toyota Matrix brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Matrix:

2006 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Sep 112014

Matrix 4-cyl

I was stopped in heavy traffic at about 8am on Sept 11, 2014. The car in front of me moved forward so I took my foot off the brake to let my car coast forward. I braked to stop the vehicle and instead of braking, the car accelerated. Instantly thinking I touched the wrong pedal or that the pedal was stuck, I looked down (scrunching toward my right shoulder) to ensure I was pressing firmly on the brake pedal. I braked again and the car shot forward again hitting the car in front of me. I injured my right shoulder trying to prevent the crash, suffered whiplash from the incident and am still hurting today. I am still waiting for the manufacturer to respond to my complaint and review the black box for my vehicle, which is currently housed by my insurance company and may be totaled as a result of this accident.

- Tustin, CA, USA