Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2009 Toyota Matrix brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Matrix:

2009 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

May 242016

Front of vehicle shook when I applied the brakes and came to a stop.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

May 012014

Matrix 4-cyl

2009 Toyota Matrix first problem started stalling suddenly in traffic last year, but now very frequently stalls even on highways at high speeds. No warnings. When stalled all lights comes on in dash, including "check engine" light. Completely turn off ignition and restarting is the only way to fix this issue at that time. After restarting the check engine light goes out. Occurred several times in all sorts of weather, but more frequently in hot summer days. Yesterday stalled 4 times within 90 minutes drive. Restart cleared engine computer dealership had difficult time replicating failure. But, advised replacement of the engine control module at a cost of over $1000. Since this year model not recalled by Toyota yet. I do not know how or where to complain so that Toyota acknowledge that it is a safety issue and fix this at their expense.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jan 012011

Matrix 4-cyl

I was crossing the bump on the road and after that I lost control. I hit a mail box in my community and I crashed in my one of my neighbor car in the lot. I contacted Toyota and sent pictures after the incident. They denied my claim. I had to pay for everything even thought Toyota knew about that acceleration problem.

- Coral Springs , FL, USA

Feb 092014

Matrix 4-cyl

I was driving on the road around the neiborhood at the T intersection, I try to brake but my car was not stop.then I try to put on the brake all the time but my car still keep going and hit a stair brick in front of the house..

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Dec 192013

Matrix 4-cyl

Car was parked. When I returned to the car, the power steering had ceased to function and warning lights were lit for the power steering, ABS and brakes. I understand there is a technical service bulletin on the power steering unit for this vehicle for issues related to the power steering locking up. Luckily I was not driving the car at the time.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Dec 272012

Matrix 4-cyl

My daughter was driving home on a snowy night and suddenly the brakes became unresponsive, the ABS and brake lights came on, and luckily she didn't need to come to a full stop at that time. After that the brakes worked for the rest of the drive home, but were spongy and she needed to give additional time to stop. Toyota issued a tsb-0205-09 on 7/6/2009 about this - C0215. We spent $671.10 to repair the rear left and the mechanic said we will most likely need to do the rear right in the future. I called Toyota reimbursement dept. About this and they said they would do nothing since it's out of the warranty period of 36K. They said it's not a safety issue as well. My point to them was how can you issue a tsb in 2009 on a 2009 model and not back this problem up for the life of the car? they know the sensor is going to go bad most likely, it could cause a serious safety issue, but no recall was ever issued. This is a dangerous business practice! we already had 2 recalls (floor mat interference with accelerator pedal and accelerator pedal reinforcement bar) on this vehicle. This needs to be addressed and the consumer shouldn't need to bear the cost!

- Cambridge, NY, USA