6.0

1. there is a tsb for this problem (1 reports)
2009 Toyota Matrix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Matrix:

2009 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Mar 012011

Matrix 1.8L

My 2009 Matrix started making noise in cold days at start up. It is like a rattling/chattering noise that comes from the engine. I believe this problem is common in 2009/2010 matrix and corolla models. There is a Technical Service Bulletin about this problem (T-SB-0087-09) and it is related to camshaft gear assembly needed to be changed. I called one dealer and they gave me run around and told me it did not make sense for me to take the car there since it does it in cold days and the weather got warmer.

I called Toyota and gotten send to another dealership and they basically changed the serpentine belt since and told me that the car was fixed. I was not able to convince them it was the TSB issue not the belt. I called Toyota and told them about the issue. They told me to make sure the complaint I had was documented in the work order and if it happened next winter when the car was out of warranty, Toyota would pay for the repair since this happened before warranty period.

This TSB is covered under 5 year 60,000 miles power train warranty. There is a video of the problem also search for VVT_rattle.wmv in google and check it out.

I am basically waiting for the next winter for this to happen so that I can get the damn thing fixed. Because I am 100% sure it will happen when the weather gets cold again and it is bullshit they told me it is fixed.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA