Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2010 Toyota Matrix brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Matrix:

2010 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Oct 192010

Matrix 4-cyl

While driving a 2010 Matrix, Tuesday Oct. 19,2010, approx. 30mphs. The car made a clicking sound as if a cruise control had been set but this car doesn't have cruise control. The car then took off a very high speed like a jet plane at take off. I was unable to control the brakes or steering. The vehicle travel approx. A half of a mile before hitting an embankment and then jumping out of the ditch and back onto the highway where it landed and stopped. The car is suppose to be equipped with six air bags but none of them deployed upon impact.

- Grantsboro, NC, USA

Feb 272010

I was driving through a parking lot with a friend of mine as passenger. I was coming up to a stop sign with 2 cars waiting at the sign. I applied the brakes to begin slowing my car and when I hit the brakes they did not engage for at least a second or so. When the pedal was hit it moved towards the floor very easily and after a second or so the car jerked and began to slow down as it should have. I was able to bring the vehicle to a complete stop without incident, but it was a close call with the car ahead of me. If I had not developed a habit of early braking we would have hit the car in front of us. This was the first time that it happened but the car only has 8000K on it. I am taking to the dealership tomorrow where I bought it 9 months ago to see if they can find a problem.

- Moose Jaw, Sk Canada, 00, USA

Dec 202009

2010 Toyota Matrix purchased brand new November of 2009 with only 5 miles reading on the odometer. Although there has been no accident with this vehicle I am very concerned about two operational issues: Steering on highways at highway speed and brakes not engaging. On straightaways this vehicle swerves back and forth. I am constantly having to correct its direction. We tried adjusting the tire inflation with no help. Took it to the dealership who readjusted the tires back and said the vehicle was still within design specs. Our newest attempt was to try extra weight in the back which is not helping either. The other big issue that has happened with this vehicle was 3 separate events I had to pump the brakes to before they would engage. The dealership could not reproduce the problem and questioned operator error. All manufacture specs again were within design limits. Please note these issues were present and noted prior to all the recall notifications. We have tried to make things work but are now beginning to worry about the safety of this brand new vehicle.

- Lawrence , KS, USA