Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Toyota Matrix is the mechanical twin of the Pontiac Vibe.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2010 Toyota Matrix seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Matrix:

2010 Toyota Matrix Owner Comments

Aug 212016

My recall is listed as incomplete which means a remedy is not available yet. My car is 6 years old now and I think enough time has elapsed for there to already be a remedybe a remedy and if not then something needs to be done to resolve this quickly.

- Brookhaven, GA, USA

Aug 012016

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Matrix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V3740000 (air bags); however, the part for the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Westmorland, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Received recall notice indicatiing I should not use front passenger side seat. Checked with local dealer who assured that it is absolutely safe to use that with conflicting info from Toyota and the dealer just what should I do"?"

- Hull, MA, USA

Nov 262014

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Matrix. After the contact's vehicle rear ended another vehicle, the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic; however, it was unknown if the technician diagnosed the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Ackron, OH, USA

Jul 302009

In July 2009 I purchased a new 2010 Toyota Matrix from sunrise Toyota in oakdale, New York. When shopping for my vehicle I was looking for one that had a drivers side knee airbag since I had recently had knee surgery and a chronic knee problem. When looking at the 2010 Toyota Matrix the window sticker (monroney) indicated that the car came equipped with a drivers side knee air bag as standard safety equipment. The sales person also reiterated that the car had this safety equipment. I purchased the vehicle. In January of 2010, nearly 6 months after I purchased the Toyota Matrix, I received a letter from Toyota telling me that my car did not have a drivers side knee airbag and that the monroney window sticker was wrong. As of the date of this compliant, despite my complaining to the dealership and Toyota, I have not received any additional information from either the dealer or Toyota as to how they intend to resolve this issue since I was deceptively sold a vehicle under the pretense that it had a safety option that it in fact did not. My story was recently publicized in the media with an article in newsday reporting on this serious error that places the public at risk.

- Riverhead, NY, USA