1. recall (1 reports)
2001 Toyota Prius drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Prius:

2001 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Mar 022011

Prius 1.6L

• CVT transmission

This car is tauted as being friendly to the environment. I have doubts when considering alll of the hybrids out there that have this problem. The repair cost can outweigh the value of the car and the car ends up in salvage. The manufacture purposely designed it this way. Luckily for me this happened within 50 miles of home. I could have been 1000 miles away and having to walk and abandon the car. I had the car towed to a dealer. The dealer charged me about 90 to check it out and then told me the battery was bad and the cost was 3100 dollars. I asked what if the inverter was bad and caused the battery to go bad?

their response! do the battery first. If my query was correct i would have nearly 7000 dollars in a 9 year old car with 165K on it. How many people would go this route. Now the car has very little value as it does not run. Other than this the car is still in great shape. It is ridiculous to think that the manufacture would not have made and supplied all of their technicians the tools to analyze the situation and tell me exactly what it would cost to repair. It would seem that a proper supply could be paralleled with the traction battery and the car started and codes read. I WAS OUT AGAIN TO HAVE THE CAR MOVED TO MY PLACE SO THAT I COULD FIX IT WHEN I HAVE THE TIME. I AM GETTING REALLY TIRED OF FIXING ALL THE CRAP THAT MANUFACTURES SHOVE DOWN OUR THROATS.

- , plain city, OH, USA