2002 Toyota Prius brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Prius:

2002 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Jun 062008

I believe Toyota has known of the braking problem all along. I purchased new, a 2002 Prius. In 2008 my anti-locking brake system went out. The service mgr. Told me it needed a new relay, and he could fix it for $1700. I have never in my life seen a relay costing $1700. My brakes still worked, just not properly so I didn't spend the $1700. As long as Toyota can get their customers to spend $1700. There is no need to have a recall. I have around 47000 miles on the vehicle and am on my third set of rotors and brake pads. My tires actually last longer. I believe this braking problem has been around from day one. I think ray lahood should check frequency of this repair against customers records, it might reveal a consistent fault.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 022010

I have a 2002 Toyota Prius that exhibits the same acceleration as in the 2010 recall. During braking if I am to hit a man hole cover or pot hole the car seems to lose the ability to brake and skips forward. This happens every time I hit a bump in the road while braking. I have owned the car for over 2 years and have had the brakes replaced without resolve.

- Winthrop, MA, USA