2002 Toyota Prius wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Prius:

2002 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

May 142009

Tire thread separation occurred while driving at about 60-70 mph on the highway causing vehicle to weave nearly out of control. A collision was avoided by the driver. Damage to the fender, bumper and side marker lights on the front passenger side. Tire brand was Bridgestone insignia 175/65R14 dot ic8I E20 1604 eq8R.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 272008

I got this vehicle in 2005 from my father. I have since then had to replace the tires of this car many times and I have always replaced them with the tires recommended for the car. Since this car is a hybrid, the car requires tires made to withstand the weight of the car battery and therefore they cost 100 dollars or more per tire depending on where you purchase them from. The incident date listed is my most recent tire failure.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Jun 192006

2002 Prius has had numerous problems with tires having to be replaced or repaired. The consumer has had to replaced 6 tires and has had 3 tires repaired. The tire on the vehicle are special tire and can only be purchased at a Toyota dealer.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Apr 142004

Prius 4-cyl

Several months ago I had a blow out on my left rear tire. Those things happen- so I replaced the tire, glad that there were no injuries or damage. Two weeks ago the same thing happened on the left front. Whn I went to the dealer I was advised to keep the tires inflated to 45lbs though the owner's manual (on my 2002 Prius) advised inflating to only 35lbs. The dealer said that they found that 45lbs allowed better wear and avoided the blow-outs. Owners should be advised of this and given replacement tires with an adjustment for wear. I was outraged that Toyota had this information and essentially sat on it. On the 2004 Prius (which we also own) the tire is larger and thus the "problem" has been corrected by Toyota...except that owners of 2002 Prius's are driving around on tire that literally blow up.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Dec 212002

Problems with tire equipment on 2002 Toyota Prius. Consumer replaced the tires seven times to date. Problems with the tread and sidewall. Manufacturer was made aware of the defect.

- Winchester, CA, USA

Jul 022003

Prius 4-cyl

While driving, the consumer noticed a noise was coming from the front end. The first failure of the front tires was July 2,2003 at 20624 miles. New replacement tires were put on the rear. The old tires were moved to the front. The front tires failed Sep 27 2003. Took vehicle to dealership and the consumer was informed by the mechanic that the tires wore out badly on the inside and would need to be replaced. Tire size P175/65R14xl. The vehicle jerked when started. No problem found.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Apr 172003

Prius 4-cyl

2002 Toyota Prius have had five tires replaced on this car and only have 28,000 miles on it. The tires wear uneven, and the sidewalls break down to cause flat. The tread comes off in chunks. Steel wires showing. Every tire has had a different thing happen to it. I have 3 tires replaced by the dealership in one day. The 1st tire went flat from the sidewall braking down and being weak. The one I had replaced on 8-28-03 was wearing unevenly and just had the car in for maint. These tires are unsafe to drive on and I would hope for a recall.

- Winchester, CA, USA

May 302003

Premature tire wear.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 122003

Two Bridgestone potenza RE92 [P175/65 R14 84S, dot el(pjdh4801] tires failed on my 2002 Prius within one week. These are the tires installed on the vehicle when we bought it. Our vehicle currently has slightly less than 25,000 miles on the odometer and is driven primarily for commuting on freeways. We discovered the right front tire extremely low on air when returning to a parking garage on 4/12/03. As we were unable to locate a gas station my husband changed the failed tire with the temporary tire and had the the failed tire repaired the next day. When serviced we were told the tire had a pin hole and irregular wear pattern. We took the vehicle into the dealership for its scheduled 22,500 mile service and to had the tires inspected and the front end aligned. When questioned about the tires wear pattern we were told the "tires were marginal" and that we should expect to replace the tires in the next six months. The second tire failed today when my husband was cut off in a parking lot (traveling less than 5 miles an hour and swerved to avoid being hit and hit the parking curb), the tire failed and required immediate replacement with the temporary tire. We are having all four tires replaced, at this time, due to the failure of the two Bridgestone potenza RE92 [P175/65 R14 84S, dot el9pjdh4801] within a seven day period.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

May 012002

I have had three tire blowouts, one within 24 hours after purchase of the tire.

- Sherman Oaks, AZ, USA