$3,500.00

1. replace the entire hybrid system (1 reports)
2003 Toyota Prius engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Prius:

2003 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Jul 212010

Prius

I had my Prius towed in to the dealer in July 2010 because it wouldn't stay running. I paid over $400 for it to be fixed (idle throttle body). In Sept. 2010 it did the same thing again. I had it towed (again) to the dealer, and now they tell me the inverter/converter is dead, basically, and needs replaced, as it runs the entire hybrid system. Cost?- around $3500. Why didn't this show up in July? Because the machine that diagnoses the problems didn't tell them it was failing. Toyota offered help in the form of $1000 towards the cost, or I could trade it in for a new one and they'd make me a good deal. I declined, and offered to sell it to them back, and they refused.

So now it's being fixed and I'm out $3000, time without the car, and paying for a repair that I feel should have been found on the original breakdown. Do we have any mechanics out there who can look at a car and see what's wrong without a machine to tell them?

- , Bexley, OH, USA