2004 Toyota Prius brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Prius:

2004 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Mar 152015

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota pruis. The contact stated that the brake warning light on the instrument panel intermittently illuminated. This was a recurring failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to determine the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jun 232015

The contact owned a 2004 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 15 mph and while attempting to stop the vehicle by depressing the brake pedal, the brakes malfunctioned and the vehicle crashed into the rear of an SUV. The contact sustained multiple toe injuries on the right foot, including one fractured toe. Medical attention was required. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 205,000.

- Durango, CO, USA

Jul 032015

As I was going down a hill the ABS vsc brake light came on and the brakes failed. The pedal became mush and I lost power braking. This caused me to almost hit the car in front of me. I swerved to the side of the road and pulled off the shoulder just missing the guard rail. I have found out that Toyota knows about this faulty problem and now they dealership wants to charge 3,000 to fix it.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Nov 112014

Brake light and ABS light still on after release the brake pedal.

- Macon, GA, USA

May 302013

Prius 4-cyl

I was traveling on I95 when all the brake warning lights came on (ABS, brake, etc.). I tried to slow down the car, but the brakes didn't seem to work. Finally, the regen system kicked in, and slowed the car. When I jammed my foot hard on the brake pedal, the car stopped with a jerk. This is not the first time this has happened. The first time it happened (when all the lights came on), I brought the car to the dealer (kendall Toyota), they reset and recalibrated the computers in the car, and everything seemed ok. About 9 months later, the same thing happened. This time, the ABS computer had a hard failure. They replaced it with a low mileage used part, and everything seemed fine for about 3 months. Then it happened again last Thursday. Brought it into kendall Toyota on Thursday evening, and on Friday they told me the I needed a new ABS computer. Turns out Toyota knows about this problem and has redesigned the ABS computer, but never sent out any notice to their customers. This is why the used part didn't last long. This a very dangerous situation and I could have easily been in a serious accident if I had not experienced faulty braking in the past (see below). A new ABS computer plus installation from Toyota cost approximately $3000. The symptoms I was having when I reported complaint # 10292409 were identical to those above, except that no indicator lights came on. They car did not want to stop (and even seemed to "run away") until I jammed my foot on the brake. Searching the internet, this seems to be a common problem with Prius.

- Miami Beach, FL, USA

Dec 312012

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, he depressed the brakes to slow the vehicle but the vehicle took an extended amount of time to slow down. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or mechanic for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Oakland, CA, USA