1.6

2004 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Prius:

2004 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Oct 262012

Prius 4-cyl

While driving my 2004 Toyota Prius home at night on a dark, winding road, both headlights suddenly went out!!!! there was no light! pitch black! crazy! I couldn't believe that my lights were out. My brights were not working either. I didn't know what happened to the car! I thought I was going to wreck/crash. I was about 18 miles from home. As I drove, I turned on my dome lights so the oncoming traffic could see me. After turning the car lights on and off, they came back on, but what a nightmare!!!!! I found out that other Toyota Prius owners had the same problem with there cars. Toyota needs to fix this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toyota needs to recall and replace these faulty headlights!

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Sep 252012

Prius 4-cyl

2004 Toyota Prius with hid headlights is used as a taxi cab. On September 25th, 2012 the drivers side headlight would begin to flicker and turn off after around five minutes of operation. The hid bulb replacement did not resolve the matter. Headlights must be turned off and then on again in order to resume their operation.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Jul 162012

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights go out randomly while driving at night. You have to turn them off and then turn them back on for them to work and they only last a minute after that. Huge safety issue!!

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Jul 162012

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Jun 082012

Prius 4-cyl

Random failure of lights, began with driver?S side and continues to occur randomly with greater frequency. Passenger side also turns off randomly, though with less frequency. Many occasions, I have had both lights turn off while driving.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 062012

Prius 4-cyl

Had the hid headlights replaced 6 months ago because they were intermittently going on and off. Same thing is happening again.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Jun 062012

- Elgin, IL, USA

May 102012

Prius 4-cyl

Both headlights go out without warning frequently now. The immediate remedy seems to be to turn switch off and on again to restore them. This has recently become a regular problem as I drive at night. Thankfully the 'fog lamps' are functional and now I am sure to have them switched on in addition to regular headlights so that I am still visible to other drivers.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

May 102012

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 252009

Prius 4-cyl

Left and right headlights failed in November and December of 2009. Headlights were replaced. Left headlight has failed in 2011. I drive 10,000 per year. I do not do much driving with my headlights on.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Apr 012011

Prius

Single drivers side headlight goes off/on intermittently - fixed by turning headlights off/on.

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA

Feb 022012

Prius 4-cyl

The passenger headlight and taillight stopped working. We replaced the tail light bulb only for it to stop working two days later. We replaced the tail light bulb once a week for a month, and for now it continues to work. The headlight, however, continued not working for about two weeks, then began working again only for the driver side headlight to stop working. After turning the headlight switch off then back on both headlights began working. However, after 10 minutes both went out again. Ever since then, it is always a guess as to which headlight, if any, will work at dusk. Sometimes they will both work for about a week before quitting. I was given an ODI# of 10453541.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Mar 302011

Prius

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the high intensity discharge (hid) headlights would intermittently fail. The failure recurred for approximately one year. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they advised the contact that the balances on the front headlights needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Jan 012012

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights go out randomly and only come back on by turning light switch off than on. Replaced bulb and problem continues.

- Esko, MN, USA

Feb 052010

Prius 4-cyl

Both headlights went out on narrow winding roads at night. Almost crashed into tree. I turned the switch back off and than on and lights came back on. Since than, the right headlamp goes on and off at night and sometimes both go out. The dealer says it will cost over $1000 to fix. I have read many complaints. Am I entitled to some kind of help" my wife will take the car on occasion and it has happened to her. Is there a recall? I don't think it is a light issue if they go back on what is being done about this"

- Newtown, CT, USA

Feb 202012

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving at night on a narrow country road, lined with trees, at 55 mph. Suddenly, both head lamps shut off. It is a miracle that I didn't wreck, I could not see a thing, and braked blindly. As I was coming to a stop I turned the light switch on and off and the lights came back on. Before I could get home, the lights went off 2 more times!

- Paris, KY, USA

Nov 182011

Prius 4-cyl

Intermittent headlight problem. I purchased the car with 111,500 miles on it, and almost immediately noticed that the passenger's side headlight is intermittent when viewing my reflection in the bumper of the car in front of me. Sometimes it runs fine for over an hour, other times it doesn't last 5 minutes. Turning the headlights off, and immediately back on relights the headlight. This is not only happening at night, but also during the day when they are used as daytime running lights. I made a video of it happening: tinyurl.com/intermittentpriushid I am not the only person having this problem with their Prius. Others have reported this problem with 25,000 to 40,000 miles. It is very hard to notice because the hid headlights are so bright it is hard to tell when one is not working, which actually means this problem may have existed on my Prius for a long time without the previous owner noticing. To illustrate my point, this priuschat thread has over 870 responses to date regarding this hid headlight problem: priuschat.com/forums/gen-II-Prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/34584-headlight-problem-17.html thus far I have not noticed this problem in my driver's side. This is a very real safety concern.

- Harvest, AL, USA

Jan 022012

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights dont work, overheating bulbs $800 to replace, you go Toyota your car sucks.

- Little Falls, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Prius

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving 35 mph when both headlights failed intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed that the ballast failed for the headlights. The manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 96,000.

- Studio City, CA, USA

Jul 262008

Prius 4-cyl

The hid headlight leveling sensor part# 89408-47010 failed. Big red exclamation on the dash and car won't pass inspection. Toyota says it costs $600 to replace.

- Westford, MA, USA