2005 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Prius:

2005 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 9 of 15)

Feb 012011

Prius

The headlight level switch failure (water-rust in switch) is causing real danger. When located in up while in dim - oncoming traffic impaired. When level switch ends down, the line of sight is only several feet in front of vehicle. A shorter person (wife) is unable to see any lighted road. Driving really becomes bad with the bright switched on. Oncoming traffic becomes impaired causing danger. The wife actually refuses to drive at night. Just unable to see properly. I have tried unsuccessfully to contact directly to Toyota with this situation. Service garages want just under $ $500 to correct problem. I feel this should be a recall item because of quality, but more importantly the driving danger. The actual switch should be purchased much lower cost. The value of switch alone without the brackets.we feel the danger on highway to be a real concern. I have spoke with other 05 Prius owners and each has express the problem. Most have just had it repaired under warranty.

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

Dec 012010

Prius 4-cyl

Either or both high-intensity headlights turn off while driving without driver input. This is the exact same problem described in the class action settlement for 2006-2009 Prius vehicles. According to the lawsuit, the headlights prematurely fail by flickering or turning off intermittently, often requiring costly repairs. Although Toyota has denied these claims, girard gibbs llp is pleased to announce that the parties reached a proposed settlement that has been granted preliminary court approval. Among other things, the settlement will provide: a free warranty extension for hid headlight bulb and electronic control units (through the earlier of 5 years and 50,000 miles); and cash reimbursements to many class members who paid for headlight repairs. Unfortunately, my vehicle year was not included in the class. However, as previously stated, the problem with my vehicle is identical to those in the suit. The repair cost me $593.75. I contacted Toyota and asked them to reimburse me for the repair. Their response was that my vehicle is no longer under warranty and my vehicle year is not part of the class action suit. They will not reimburse me for the repair. However, the vehicles in the class action suit were no longer under warranty. Updated 05/04/11

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jan 042011

Prius 4-cyl

The passenger side headlight would sometimes go out and then come back on after turning the car off/on. Eventually both of the headlights had this problem along with them turning pink in color and back to white while driving. I took the Prius into the dealership and since I purchased the extended warranty of 100,000 miles the hid electronic control units (ecus) will be replaced free of charge but the hid light bulbs are costing $350 to replace. I see that Toyota has extended the warranty of the light bulbs to a five year/50,000 for the 2006-2009 Prius starting Feb 9th 2011, tomorrow. The mechanics say these bulbs should last over a 100,000 miles but the ecus are making them go bad early. I had a "wonderful" conversation with Toyota extra care representative about this problem. He basically told me anything that anything that breaks that is not covered by warranty (headlights) because an item that is under extended warranty(ECU), is not covered. And then he went on to explain this by talking about what came first, chicken or the egg. I was hoping to get into more in-depth evolution discussion with him, but I ran out of time and patience. I still love our Prius, 78000 miles.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jan 102011

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving 35 mph when the head lights failed. The contact was able to reactivate the headlights by toying with the activation switch until the lights came back on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that there were no recalls for the failure and repairs would be at the expense of the contact. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 126,500. Updated 03/07/11 updated 04/13/11 updated 1/3/11

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jan 102011

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlight failed. High cost to replace ($250).

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Aug 082008

Prius 4-cyl

I have from time to time thought that my car lights did not light up the road so well, especially on the passenger side. However, when I would think about it before I would get into the car, I turned on the head lights. They worked and seem to be pretty bright. They are the new type of lights. This went on for a while. However, one day, I drove up to my house and noticed that my passenger-side head light did not seem to reflect on my mailbox post as I thought it should. I had turned the lights out. But I turned them back on, got out of the car and they were on. Then one day, I was behind a SUV. I saw my car's reflection and the passenger light was out. I got home did not turn off the car or lights. I got out of the car and check. The passenger-side head light was out. I turn the lights off and then back on and the light came on. The time that it took for me to discover this actually took over a year. I recalled that someone had hit my car on that side (minor) but the headlamp assembly had to be replaced. So, I took the car back to the place it was repaired. Through my insurance, I have a life-time guarantee on all repairs. They replaced the head light. About 10 days later I am behind a car and I notice that my passenger side head light is again out. I checked the web and have discovered that this problem is not unique to my car. I can not say how often this occurs since you basically have to be outside the car. I do know that there are times when my car lights do not seem to be lighting up the road as they should.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Jan 042011

Prius

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the passenger side headlights were turning an abnormal pink color. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that there was no way of knowing when the headlights were going to fail. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 51,695.

- Beverly Hill, CA, USA

Dec 182010

Prius 4-cyl

Had car since new in 2005. Bought an extended service agreement that was prepaid. The car had regular maintenance at manufacturers recommended intervals. The electrical system has been a source of frustration regarding all head and tail lights. The lights fail frequently, especially all rear lights with no warning. Many have been replaced. The headlights are a huge headache. To have the dealer replace the bulbs cost about $250-$300. If there is more than just a bulb replacement, the cost could go as high as $1000+. this is highway robbery.

- Hercules, CA, USA

Dec 202010

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving at night on I-75N and another car pulled up beside me and gestured that something was wrong. We both pulled off the interstate and they told me that I had no tail lights and no license plate light. They were afraid that someone would Ram me since I had no rear end running lights. I also noticed that my glove compartment light was out. I opened the hatch and then slammed it and the right tail light and license plate lights came back on. I proceed home under flashers in the right hand lane of the interstate. The next day I took it to the cobb county Toyota dealer and they said that all the bulbs were burned out. I asked how could all those lights go out at once and they said it happens. I authorized them to replace all the bulbs. They later contacted me and said that they did not have a replacement bulb for the glove compartment and I told them to forget about that and we could replace it later. The lights are working fine but strangely the glove compartment light started working after they replaced all the other rear lights and that light has faithfully worked to this day even though it was not replaced during the same service call to replaced the "burned out" tail lights and license plate light the brake lights, turn signal and flashers all worked on the evening of 12/20/10 during the time that the tail and license plate lights went out. Having had this happen at high speeds on a busy interstate at night was most upsetting and to have all these lights go out at once seems suspicious, particularly when the glove compartment light was declared as "burned out" by dealer, not replaced and now works perfectly.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Dec 252010

Prius 4-cyl

While driving, the low and hi beam headlamps repeatedly turn completely off. It seems to occur randomly every single day, sometimes alternating between either headlamp going out and sometimes both headlamps turning off at the same time. At night this is quite concerning. Once the headlamps turn off, I must quickly turn off the and on the headlight switch until the lights come back on. If only one headlamp is off, it immediately comes on after turning off then on the headlamps. If both headlamps turn off, it sometimes takes many attempts to get them back on. It may be worth noting that I have the hid headlamps from the factory. I am in the process of taking the car to the dealership to have the problem corrected.

- Durham, ME, USA

Sep 202010

Prius

Driver's side hid headlight on my 2005 Prius goes out intermittently. If I turn the headlights off and then back on, the bulb stays lit for a little while, until it happens again. From what I'm reading on the internet, this is a common problem that Toyota is aware of but will not resolve. This is a safety issue - it's difficult to see with only one functional headlight. I paid good money to get the upgraded headlights, Toyota should stand behind their products and fix the problem.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Nov 082010

Prius

We are have a problem with our 2005 Toyota Prius. The headlights (one or both) goes out without warning. The is a known safety problem with headlights on the Prius. Toyota will not issue a recall because they have not been directed to by the government.

- Germantown Road, MD, USA

Nov 202010

Prius

Driver's side headlamp turns off intermittently. No pattern identified. No solution except cycling headlamp switch sometimes works, sometimes not. This began after headlamp was replaced after it began dimming noticeably and producing light of a pinkish color. No further repairs attempted because can't reproduce problem reliably e.g. when in repair shop.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Oct 132010

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota Prius headlights- the replacement cost for one bulb is ridiculously high- about $199 plus labor ($110). The new lightbulb overheats after two minutes and turns off. If I turn the lights on and off again the bulb will come back on--for two minutes at a time. This is incredibly dangerous. I hear a new bulb is coming out to remedy the problem, but since mine was "used" I cannot return it for an exchange when the new bulbs come in. Because it is halogen, they will only guarantee the bulb if they install it. It's a monopoly. We are stuck paying their high prices for the bulb-- and are required to go to the dealership to change a simple headlight. (although I dare not mention the installation process, which is anything but simple-- including removing the bumper!)

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 012010

Prius

My headlight on the right side of my Prius goes out intermittently, then when I cycle the switch (not safe to do at night) it turns back on. I have had it in to the dealer for repair, at a large cost, with no improvement. Online forums tell me this is a problem not solved by light replacement or by replacing the computer board that controls the lights. This is a problem for multiple cars on the road, and according to the online forums is starting to show in other Toyota.

- Creswell, OR, USA

Oct 262010

Prius

2005 Toyota Prius, repeated headlight failure. I have been issued three police summonses for headlight failure and have only owned this vehicle for two years. I replaced both headlights three weeks ago and the passenger headlight is out again.

- Newfane, NY, USA

Jun 132009

Prius 4-cyl

Sudden headlight failure, if I turned off the headlight and turned it back on again it will turn on again. But it will randomly turn off again.

- American Canyon, CA, USA

Oct 172010

Prius

My 2005 Prius' right headlight (hid) turns off. After turning the lights off and back on, it lights up again. It's very strange because if the bulb was dead, it wouldn't come back on. Just recently, someone made me aware of the issue. But, who knows how long it has been going on. There is no pattern or unique incident that causes the bulb to turn off and on. It happens multiple times on trip between 2-4 miles (sometimes more than 2 or 3 times on a short trip). Since I became aware of the issue, I don't take the car on long trips. My local mechanic said "dead bulbs don't turn on and off, they just stay off." Sometimes my bulb will stay on for 10-20 minutes, then go out. Doesn't sound broken to me. The mechanic told me the ballast could have a problem, but that costs several thousand dollars to fix (not to mention replacing one bulb is like 200 dollars)..

- Hemet, CA, USA

Oct 162010

Prius

We purchased a Toyota 2005 Prius in August of this year. It had 92,000 miles on it but was in exceptional condition. Just this week October 15 the passenger side headlight started blinking and one day later went out.

- Lohrville, IA, USA

Jun 082008

Prius

2005 Toyota Prius w/ hid headlights. Automatic aiming sensor has suffered premature failure because of a design flaw that allows the under-vehicle mounted sensor to corrode and fail. Safety issues include a driver unknowingly overdriving his headlights at speed, and potential temporary blinding of oncoming traffic from aiming failure. Failed part # is 89408-47010. Toyota has not notified owners of this safety issue.

- Ocean City, MD, USA