2006 Toyota Prius electrical problems

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jan 222013

Prius

Car's engine would not shut off. Additionally, the digital dashboard (which shows the speedometer, odometer, gas gauge, etc.) would not light up. Toyota dealer says it is due to a failed combination meter. The part is on national backorder. It has been more than two weeks and my car is still awaiting the part.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Aug 252012

Prius 4-cyl

The right headlight went out and then went on. The problem has recurred. Now the left headlight went out and then went on. We read that this is a common problem with the 2006 Toyota. Will there be a recall?

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 012012

Prius

The electronic display inside my husband's car has blacked out twice now. Both times it was taken to the dealer. The first time, they were not able to locate the problem; the second time they were able to discover what was wrong, told him that it was a common problem in that model car (approx. 2004-2010), that there was no recall for it, and it would cost $700 to repair. If this is happening to other owners, why isn't there are recall? when it happens, the speedometer is gone. Warning lights, fuel gauge, back-up camera, etc. Are all out. This makes the car unsafe to drive.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Nov 012012

Prius

Hid headlights on this vehicle and taillights go out on there own sometimes just one or sometimes all lights go out. Problem is fixed when you turn the lights all the way off and all the way back on and they stay on for the duration of my drive or go out a few minutes later. Have been pulled over by police multiple times for having lights out. Have seen many Toyota Prius complaints about this same exact problem.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Jan 012009

Prius 4-cyl

I have been having problems with my headlights going out for several years now. This is the same problem described by other drivers when the lights go out and can be reset by turning them off and back on again. For the first few years, the only bulb to go out was the right side. The bulb appears to have no bearing on the problem. I have put in new bulbs and had the same problem. I even tried switching the non-working bulb with the one that was working on the left side. The left side worked fine like this and the right side continued to fail. Now, several years later, the left side appears to be failing also. Even though I have gotten other recall notices, Toyota never notified me of a settlement in this case. And, by the time that I found out about it, the settlement had expired.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Oct 152012

Prius 4-cyl

I found that there is malfunction on the buttons on steering wheel, especially info button and buttons for climate. I researched the problem on internet and I found the problem is caused by a bad clock spring. Also, I found the clock spring is related with air bag module. There are a lot of owners have the same problem (such as priuschat.com). I think that it could be a recall issue. And I experienced another problem. The accelerator pedal of my car was repaired by the recall service before. But when I release the accelerator pedal and try to push brake pedal, there is difference of height between both pedals. The height of brake pedal is higher than the accelerator pedal, even if I released the accelerator pedal. So it is dangerous to operate both pedals. When I tried to push the brake pedal after I released the accelerator pedal, my right feet was stuck with the brake pedal. I think the recall service for the accelerator pedal of my car was not successful. Or there is another problem on the brake pedal of Prius.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 112012

Prius 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights with 55,000 miles is used as a taxi cab. On July 11th, 2012 and progressing, the passenger side hid headlight would flicker and then turn off completely after 5-15 minutes of operation. Headlights must be turned off and then on to resume normal service. Hid bulb replacement did not resolve the issue. Toyota dealership only offered to replace the headlight without any explanation to what might be causing the issue.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Sep 052011

Prius

Hid headlights go out randomly while driving. Each one goes out separately, but sometimes they will both happen to be out at the same time. While driving, this is corrected by turning headlights off and then back on. Same thing happens with the yellow running lights, one may turn off randomly. This began happening in fall of 2011, however new bulbs (hid and running lights) were purchased and the problem stopped temporarily, but within 1 year the same problems are occurring again. Similar problem with the rear license plate lights; one will be off randomly, but shutting the trunk hard seems to appease the problem. This may be a wiring problem, but the front lights should not be turning off randomly.

- East Lansing, MI, USA

Aug 272012

Prius

The driver side hid headlamp went out while driving. This was out for about a day then turned back on while driving again. I have now noticed this happens every few days and only while in motion.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 242012

Prius 4-cyl

I am the original owner of a 2006 Toyota Prius. Last week, at 86,000 miles, while driving on the highway in traffic, a large red triangle warning light showed up on my dash with the low tire pressure light. I pulled off the road to check the manual and turned the car off. When I turned it back on many warning lights came on and I was unable to get the car out of park. Called the dealer. They told me to get towed to the dealer, which I did. After 2 days they determined that it needed a new hybrid transaxle for $5,000+ plus miscellaneous other repairs totaling $7,723. Toyota says the transaxle is covered under the powertrain warranty (60,000 miles) not the hybrid warranty (100,000 miles). There is a tsb for this repair, T-sb-0306-08 that states that it is covered under the California emission warranty in certain states, depending on model year, up to 150,000 miles. There seems to be new information that transmission fluid should be flushed at 30,000 miles. My dealer had only suggested this 2 weeks prior to the problem, when I was in for an oil change before a trip. I planned on doing it at my next service. I have a few questions" is this a common enough problem that it could be a ?defect?? I read somewhere that if 4% of cars have the problem then it is a defect. Is that right? over what time period if so? if not, how does that get determined? how can I find out how many transaxles have needed to be replaced before 100,000 miles on 2004-2008 model Prius?S? is this repair covered in carb states or not? I believe that Maryland is a carb state now. Would this warranty be retroactive to my car? is Toyota responsible for not suggesting I get the transmission fluid flushed prior to this"

- Frederick, MD, USA

Nov 302006

Prius 4-cyl

Both headlights go out on a random basis while driving. This may occur 30 - 50 times in 5 mile trip.

- Springfield , IL, USA

Jul 112008

Prius

I am writing to you about a problem with my 2006 Toyota Prius. In July 2008, the driver's side electronic door lock actuator failed and was replaced by my local Toyota dealer - I had extended warranty so it was covered. Now, the driver's side door lock actuator has once again failed. I have not contacted my Toyota dealership because in 2008 if I didn't have the warranty it was going to cost me well over $1,000. The failure of this actuator happening twice is unbelievable. I've noticed similar complaints by other individuals.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jul 012009

Prius 4-cyl

Driving at night and headlight completely failed. Took it in to dealer but was working then and dealer refused to document. This same thing occurred several times since then, both headlights failing at one time or another resulting in dangerously poor visibility. Problem is intermittent and continuing with a failure just days ago. Toyota acknowledges the problem but refuses to take responsibility saying the current mileage is too high. Problem first occurred when mileage was considerably under 45000. Feel it is unsafe to drive the car at night.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Nov 052011

Prius 4-cyl

Combination meter failed, there was no dash display, no speed display, and vehicle would not shut down. Fortunately we were not out of town so we drove the vehicle to our regular Toyota dealer, ourisman fairfax Toyota, fairfax, va, and left it there.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 012011

Prius 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Prius. Letter from re onstar fmv defect the consumer stated the system light failed to light, except when one was talking to the onstar advisor. Then it flashed green on and off as advertised. However, when the system was on and presumably ready for use, the green light did not illuminate. So far, the consumer was to connect to the onstar advisor when the light was off. The consumer received several answer as to why the system was not working as advertised. The consumer stated the unit is malfunctioning and may not work in an emergency situation. The consumer received a call from onstar stating the problem he was having, was due to improper installation, because of an internal battery that required a connection before use. The problem has since been resolved. Updated 10/19/11. The consumer stated the onstar device malfunctioned again. Updated 08/15/12. Updated 09/06/12. Updated 09/18/12 updated 02/11/13. The consumer stated a defect manifested itself by a partial loss of information on the center console display and there was a complete loss of the digital information displayed above the dashboard. The information included the speed, etc. The consumer stated when defect occurred, the power button became inoperative, which resulted in the inability to turn the vehicle power off or remove the electronic key. Updated 06/22/15. Updated 07/08/15.

- Long Beach, MS, USA

Dec 112009

Prius

In addition to my complaint, ODI id #10400072, when I turn my headlights on, the lighting in my console loses it brightness--alot. During the daytime, it is very difficult to see the odometer/speedometer and all other information provided on my console... this includes the built-in gps/info screen. This is definitely a design flaw that Toyota created and approved for sale here in the U.S. I cannot understand why Toyota is not held fully accountable for these very serious flaws and are required to correct these very serious flaws at no cost the the innocent consumer that are victims for purchasing these vehicles fully trusting that Toyota fully backed up their vehicles and reputation. What will it take to require Toyota to make the necessary repairs to rectify these very obvious flaws in their vehicles" a death as a result of an innocent driver and his family trusting the Toyota brand name" I sure hope not.

- Mayfield, KY, USA

May 152011

Prius 4-cyl

I have two smart keys for 2006 Toyota Prius. One of them lose smart function and remote function. When a button is pressed, red light is not on at all. I have tested fob battery and it is ok. I believe that the smart key is defective.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Apr 022011

Prius 4-cyl

Combination meter of 2006 Toyota Prius suddenly stopped working. Thankfully, priuschat members have posted similar issues. My mechanic removed the combination meter. I sent board to company in ca to re-do the solders and update the transistor on the chip.

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Mar 082011

Prius

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius with hid headlights. The right headlight is intermittent. This is a safety hazard especially driving down a dark road at night.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 082011

Prius

2006 Toyota Prius. Faulty headlights. Replaced both headlights in Aug 2010 only to have one fail Jan. 3 and the other failed Jan 8 2011. Added daytime running lights by dealer in 2007 so do not have the ability to turn them off and on. Do not understand how one can have both lights fail as stated in so many other complaints.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA