2006 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 40 of 40)

Jan 012008

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Prius with hid headlights which will not stay on. When I am driving, one, or both, of my headlights will go out. I will notice this when I'm at a stop and I look for the reflection of my lights in the car in front of me, or when I get home and I look to see if both headlights are shining on my garage door. If I turn the lights off and then right back on again, the headlights come back on. I have googled this and many other Prius owners are having the same problem. My independent mechanic said that Toyota is not even selling a headlight for my VIN number. I took my car to the dealer I purchased it from and they are telling me that to replace the headlights will cost $1,050 and if the ecus which control the headlights are bad, they will cost an additional $650. I said that I felt this was a safety issue that Toyota should pay for. They offered me half off the cost of the parts, but want me to commit to paying all the labor. I am going to go pick up my car from the dealer and plan on filing a complaint with Toyota usa. I think a problem like this with a car less than two years old should not be my responsibility to pay for.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 202007

Prius

Headlight failure on 2006 Toyota Prius. Car was taken to the dealer with approximately 38,000 miles and the dealer beat on the headlight unit and advised me that it now worked. As the months have gone by, both headlight have been shutting down at separate times and by turning the lights on and off the headlights return to normal. The dealer now advises me that he "thinks" the bulbs need to be replaced at a cost of about $400 each. I see on the internet that this is a very common problem on the 2006 Prius and Toyota has done nothing to protect the owners from this potentially life threatening issue. I believe it is mandatory that Toyota make a recall of all 2006 Prius models asap to repair this problem before serious injury or loss of life is caused by losing these lights during both night driving and day driving when used as an effective means of letting other drivers see your position.

- La Verne, CA, USA

Jun 012007

Prius 4-cyl

In June of 2007 I had my head light replace in my 2006 Toyota Prius. I would be driving and it would randomly go off and on. Warranty covered the cost. It is April of 2008 and both headlights are going on and off again. At first the right one was randomly on and off and now both right and left, again are on an off and on occasion I will be driving down the road and both go off. This is not a light bulb problem. It was diagnosed as an electronic problem with the wiring behind the light. My car is only 2 years old and should not be having electronic problems, head lights flickering on and off. Mechanicsville Toyota fixed the first electronic problem with warranty. Now no one wants to hear my problem and I believe this is happening to others.

- Tappahannock, VA, USA

Jan 042008

Prius 4-cyl

My 2006 Toyota Prius intermittently loses one or both of the hid headlights. Turning off the lights, and back on, will usually bring both of the lights back on... for a little while. This has caused me to have one 'near-miss' accident when going around a curve, in unfamiliar areas. Both of the headlights failed within a few tenths of a second, helping me to run off of the road. No damage was done to the car, but it was a very frightening experience, that I don't want to repeat. It seems apparent from the this site, that it is a wide-spread problem that Toyota does not want to admit to. Even my Toyota brand platinum warranty doesn't cover this, since they say that 'light' bulbs are an 'expendable' item... they meant 'expensive' item... that they do not want to pay for. My local dealer states that they want to 'troubleshoot' it for a few hours at about $90/hr... then 'probably' check the bulbs, at 1.5 hours/each, since they say the front bumper must be removed to remove/replace the lights. Then, order the bulbs at $359/each, and a week or so later (after they order the bulbs/receive them), install them for about 1.5hours/each. This is totaling well over $1000 for a car only about 15.5 months old, and just barely out of warranty (at the time about 39,000 miles). With all of the complaints established on this site, as well as the dealership(s) records of 'troubleshooting' and /or repair efforts, Toyota needs to be forced into a recall for repairs to this safety related problem that they are currently choosing to ignore. I have requested to speak to a regional Toyota service representative, but those efforts were apparently ignored, since several months have elapsed, without any contact.

- Calvert City, KY, USA

May 152008

Prius 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Prius with hd headlights. Either headlight will go out on what seems to be a random basis. Does not seem to be related to the amount of time the headlight was on - could be a few minutes before it goes out or a few hours. When car is turned off and then restarted the headlight will come on again for an indeterminate amount of time. It is not predictable. This is an obvious safety problem and an internet search shows that it is not uncommon in this make and model. Others with the problem have had various repairs - all very expensive - with uneven results. The dealers do not seem to have a definite fix - just to change parts to see if that helps. Although I will indicate an approximate incident date below, it is not really accurate since this has happened with my car at multiple random times within the past four weeks.

- Columbia, MD, USA

May 102008

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights on my car go out intermittently without warning. Sometimes it is only one. Sometimes it is both.

- Sutherlin, OR, USA

Jan 012008

Prius 4-cyl

Both headlights on my 2006 Prius go out intermittently (not necessarily simultaneously). Began noticing this about 5-6 months ago. Shutting lights all the way off and then on again usually brings the light(s) back on, but not always and they don't always stay on. This occurs almost every time I drive the vehicle. I mentioned it to my dealer at my last oil change and they advised they could find nothing wrong (bring it back in when it's happening)... it had just happened on the way over to the dealer, but shutting lights off and on brought it back on.

- Glen Rock, , PA, USA

Jan 022008

Prius 4-cyl

I own a 2006 Toyota Prius. My right headlight will randomly shut off. I am able to turn my lights off/on and the light will restart. There is no initiation factor such as bump or movement. There is a random time frame for this to occur. I can be sitting still prior to moving the car and the light will go out. This has first happened 4months ago and continues to happen. The problem seems to be occurring more frequently and could pose a serious safety issue. So far, only the right headlight has gone out, however, I am concern this may happen to both. I will be scheduling a service repair at my local dealership asap.

- Pikeville, KY, USA

Mar 012008

Prius 4-cyl

Headlight started to fail around 50,000 miles; right would turn off. Not to long after left would turn off but right remain on. Turning lights off, then back on would turn light back on. Was not happening enough for dealership to track. Around 60,000 mile happening more frequently. Both lights would also dim and sometimes turn completely off; turning light switch off, then back on made lights return on. Sometimes if lights turned off and you attempted to turn on brights, brights would not come on. Dealer suggested it was either a headlight that needed to be replaced or a 'headlight control' but needed to check it further. 70,000 lights turning off frequently; left and right, sometimes same time, sometimes individually. Headlight control replaced by dealer. Continues to do same thing; not resolved. Have not taken back to dealer yet.

- Santa Clarra, UT, USA

Apr 202008

Prius

Driving normally, my headlight intermittently goes out. Recycling the power on the lights corrects the issue but after continuing to drive the light will again go out. The light goes out approximately every 5 minutes. Without dependably functioning lights, driving vision is impaired at night and I have been issued a fix-it ticket. I took my car in for service at the dealership and was told that the light bulb will cost $300+. I will fix the problem myself with a replacement philips D4R hid bulb however, several reports of the same issue give me reason to believe that a recall is necessary.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 252008

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Toyota Prius, the hid headlight goes on and off intermittently. I got pulled over for my right headlight being out and by the time he got my warning written, it was working again. I turned my lights on and off several times.. this seemed to get them working again. I've pulled up on cars at red lights to see my light flickering at times. I only have 55K on my car, hid lamps are supposed to work 10 times longer than halogen...this should not be happening. I've read stories of some who simply replaced the bulb, to others who had to replace the whole assembly before the problem was fixed. This is discussed extensively at priuschat.com.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Sep 052007

Prius 4-cyl

I have been experiencing intermittent problems with the hid headlights on my 2006 Prius for over a year. Each time I took the car in the dealer was not able to duplicate the problem. Now that both headlights are inoperable, the dealer is telling that I need a new headlight assembly. I was told that the assembly and the bulb were sold as a unit. When I investigated this further on my own and went back to the dealer I was informed that the bulbs are sold independently and that they are $312 each, and 1.5 hours of labor to install. I have an extended service package (platinum) that does not cover light bulbs. I am appalled that headlights this expensive can have chronic issues after 1 and 1/2 years of use and Toyota will not take ownership of the fact that there is a manufacturer problem here.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 182007

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlights on 06 Toyota Prius defective, go on and off intermittently, dealership unable to correct problem on reliable basis. Multiple other lights (parking/tail ect.) also going out.

- Casco, WI, USA