2006 Toyota Prius wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

2006 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Jan 012012

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius equipped with yokohama avid tires, size: 185/65R/15. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the rear passenger's side tire blew due to a road hazard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was advised to the contact that the tire tread was cracked. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred on three different occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 062012

Prius 4-cyl

I bought 4 new pirelli cinturato P5 tires for my 2006 Toyota Prius in June of 2009 from discount tire. I was told that these tires would last for 85,000 miles before having to replace them. Since then I regularly rotated and balanced them. When I went to get my tires rotated and balanced again 6/2009, I was told that two of the tires are already worn out and I would be better off to get two new tires to keep me safe while driving. I informed the sales personnel that these tires are just 3 years old and with 40,400 miles since purchased. He mentioned to me that tires many a times do not give the mileage they are rated for. In my case, I got less than one-half the rated mileage. With my driving pattern (13,000 miles/year), I would have expected these tires to last for about six years as I take good care (rotating, balancing, and alignment) of them.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 052010

I was driving to a place a short distance from my home when I heard a noise and the car veered to the right. I pulled over immediately and got out of the car. The tire on the right front was blown out at the sidewall and I saw two holes at the inside of the sidewall one above the other. The rim was also destroyed.

- Dawsonville, GA, USA

Nov 012006

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Prius. The contact believed that there was a design flaw in the traction control mechanism. He lives on a steep hill and the traction control is designed to keep the front wheels from spinning when it detects slippage. He experiences difficulty driving uphill while attempting to decelerate. While driving approximately 5-10 mph, the tires stopped spinning and he lost control over the vehicle. The vehicle had to be pushed in order for it to properly operate again. The failure mileage was 5,000 and current mileage was 28,000.

- Plain Field, VT, USA

Jan 122007

Goodyear left rear tire blew out without warning on Toyota Prius (2006). Tire had less than 14,000 miles and the car was only 11 months old. Tire was examined by a Toyota dealer (to which the car had been towed) who did not find evidence of tire damage due road hazard.

- La, CA, USA

Jul 262006

On our 2006 Toyota Prius we have had 3 catastrophic tire failures involving the Goodyear integrity tire which came on the car. The failures have all been on I-40 at highway speeds resulting in a minor loss of control. Each time we have been able to get the car safely off the road. Tires just disintegrate at side walls. Pressures are checked regularly by husband who is a ffa licensed aircraft mechanic. Toyota and Goodyear deny any like problems.

- Newton, NC, USA