2008 Toyota Prius engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 082013

Prius 4-cyl

My car had hesitation issues since shortly after I bought it. It would bog down, and almost die in traffic. I would lose speed on the hwy/road & nearly get hit. Previously, the dealer replaced the gas tank because its "bladder" was bad @ 54,057 miles on 08/05/2011. The factory split the cost on this repair (which appears to occur more than they are admitting). The performance improved for a little while, but there has always been funny noises coming from my vehicle and the car would not power on at times. Other times, it would freeze or power off. The maintenance warning lights would come on and then turn off. Infrequently, air would come through the backseat vents like it is supposed to. Frequently, I would smell unusual smells after stopping my car. My car ate up the inside of a new set of tires very quickly despite being properly aligned. The HVAC blower motor was cutting on and off at times and making funny noises. Many times when it would cut off, I could open and slam the hood and the HVAC blower motor would engage, as if there was an electrical short in it. When the HVAC blower motor quit altogether, I took my car to the dealer. The dealer said that the mower had gone out. There was an actual problem with the hv electric water pump as well as a factory recall. Interestingly, the dealer discovered tat the engine motor water pump was also leaking. What a coincidence! now that all of these components have been replaced, my car appears to work normal again like it has not worked since I first bought the car.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Jul 042011

Prius 4-cyl

A sudden jerk and a bunch of warnings lights appeared on dashboard. The car made it 20 miles to my home but I was running on a damaged engine. Took it to the dealer the next day, allen Toyota of gulfport, ms, and they fixed it saying water pump had to be replaced charging me $295. I have receipt. Dealer told me to apply to this website as I recently received a recall notice from Toyota about this part promising they would reimburse if the part had been repaired at my expense before receiving recall letter.

- Biloxi, , MS, USA

Sep 202012

Prius 4-cyl

I had been driving the car for less than 10 minutes when the "red triangle" red problem light came on the screen. I immediately looked for a safe place to pull over when the car made a series of short dinging sounds and the car was automatically put in neutral and the brake engaged--in the middle of a busy intersection! I was forced to flee the vehicle as there were oncoming cars that didn't look like they were going to stop. When the signal changed, I went back to the car and put on the emergency flashers. Then I tried to put the car back in drive and it would not budge from neutral. I then switched the car off and back on and was able to drive it out of the intersection safely. If this had occurred even 5 minutes later, my 9-year-old daughter would have been in the vehicle with me and we would not have been able to react as quickly as I did. The car has been towed to my personal mechanic by aaa for diagnosis, but at this time it does not appear that this was an error, but a design flaw that put my safety in critical danger.

- S. Pasadena, CA, USA

Jul 072012

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, he heard a rattling noise coming from the engine. The contact pulled the vehicle into a parking lot and noticed that there was to puddle of oil under the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they stated that there was a hole in the engine pan. The manufacturer was notified and stated that they had to review the case with the dealer. The failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 07/26/12

- Colony, TX, USA