2008 Toyota Prius fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 232008

Prius 4-cyl

I recently returned from a 2,300 mile road trip that began in woodland wa. During this trip, we filled up in ashland ore on our way to reno nv. Ore requires that an attendant do this and off we went, next gas fill up was to have been reno! we headed East, turned off I-5 and onto hwy 89 and switched drivers. After only 83 miles, the gas tank showed that there was less than 1/2 a tank. Luckily we had not missed mccloud California, last stop for gas for many miles! when we filled up in reno, the gas pump shut off way too soon! we had to pull the gas nozzle way out and extremely slowly managed to fill up the gas tank. During this slow process, air and gas would bubble up and at times out of the tank. We repeated this process at every fill up along the trip and since we have gotten home. Temperature, time of day and altitude seem to not have any effect on getting the tank filled, the pump shut off early at every instance. Another issue is the fuel gauge. The car would travel 200 miles before even one gauge indicator would click off. There are 10 indicators and the tank supposedly holds nearly 12 gallons of gas. I bet that the car does not get 200 miles per gallon! I spoke the owner of a 2005 Prius. He indicated he also has challenges filling his tank. He was told that this has to do with the ambient temperature. I have talked with a Toyota Prius technician. He stated that there are no parts that can fix this issue. He noted that this has been going on since the first Prius, that there is no fix available. He also noted in the winter that at least one Prius owner comes in each and every day with this same gas tank concern. I also did some research on the internet and this appears to be a long outstanding safety hazard! it appears that Toyota is continuing to manufacture a defective, unsafe product with full knowledge of the issue. I thank you in advance for working on this major safety and longstanding safety problem.

- Woodland, WA, USA