2009 Toyota Prius engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Prius:

2009 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

May 142009

My 2009 Toyota Prius was less than 4 months old. As I was parking in front of my apartment, I could feel the car still accelerating while I had already moved my foot to the brake. Braking as hard as I can I realized my car wasn't responding at all. The car climbed on to the curb into the grass, hit a light pole, tilted to its right side (I was parking to my right) and fell down on its side. I tried to turn the car off, but wont turn off. The wheels were still accelerating as I was trying to get out of the seat belt, called out for help and got out through the driver side window. I called 911. Police helped me turn off the vehicle; until that time, the car was still accelerating on its own. This seems to be a common issue with the Toyota Prius 2nd generation. This happens when the car is at very low speed (like in my case, while parking) or when its floored all the way. This should be thoroughly investigated. The car is with geico, my insurance company for further investigation.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA