2009 Toyota Prius engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Prius:

2009 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jun 042009

Prius

I am writing to let you know of a problem I am experiencing with a 2009 Toyota Prius that I purchased new just one week ago and which still has less than 500 miles on it. A couple of days ago I was approaching a stop at an intersection, in town where my speed had been only about 15 mph. While my foot was on the brake, just prior to a full stop, the car accelerated on its own. I kept my foot on the brake, pressing hard, and the brake eventually overrode the accelerator and stopped. Looking at the dash I saw that the ABS brake light flashed on briefly. It was a sunny day, no rain, no slick surface. No one was in front of me, so no damage to me or anyone else. Another incident happened this morning in my garage. I got into the Prius, foot on the brake, pushed the power button, and then a moment later, still in park, I felt a surge. The car did not lunge forward, but I strongly felt the revving and surge of power, and the car lifted from the power. These incidents caused me to search the web for similar experience of others, and I have found many, some with severe consequences. I would also like to add that in hindsight I realize that two other things I have noticed about the brakes might be important to relate. I sometimes hear a slight grinding disk sound when I brake, and I have on a few occasions noticed that the brakes are skipping and the ABS engaging, as if I were on a slippery or graveled surface. Yet that was never the case; the road conditions were dry and tar was in good condition. I know this because I looked back each time to see what might have caused the brakes to act strangely. There was no apparent cause. In retrospect, after having experienced the acceleration at the stop sign, I realize that these other odd braking issues might be symptoms of the bigger braking issue.

- Arrowsic, ME, USA

May 142009

Prius

My 2009 Toyota Prius was less than 4 months old. As I was parking in front of my apartment, I could feel the car still accelerating while I had already moved my foot to the brake. Braking as hard as I can I realized my car wasn't responding at all. The car climbed on to the curb into the grass, hit a light pole, tilted to its right side (I was parking to my right) and fell down on its side. I tried to turn the car off, but wont turn off. The wheels were still accelerating as I was trying to get out of the seat belt, called out for help and got out through the driver side window. I called 911. Police helped me turn off the vehicle; until that time, the car was still accelerating on its own. This seems to be a common issue with the Toyota Prius 2nd generation. This happens when the car is at very low speed (like in my case, while parking) or when its floored all the way. This should be thoroughly investigated. The car is with geico, my insurance company for further investigation.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA