2009 Toyota Prius fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Prius:

2009 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Oct 072014

The contact owned a 2009 Toyota Prius. While driving 30 mph, the rear passenger side of the vehicle caught fire. There were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the impound lot. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

May 312013

Prius 4-cyl

A year ago, upon taking off from a stop my car began to stall. I drive two blocks it continues to putt along and stall, then after less than a mile it starts to run as normal. I take my car in to be told it is out of gas, which it did not indicate low fuel, it had over a quarter of a tank. I insist they continue to check my car over days of them driving it, after a week they experience something similar and replace my junction box. Since then I've replace the water pump, taken my car in for a steering recall. Also, there are instances where my car upon take off stalls, but nothing severe, just something you feel when accelerating. Recently, 6/5/14, I experienced the same issue, but this time I immediately put gas into my car even though my indicator panel shows I have fuel. Only this time I start my car and the air conditioner is not working and it continues to stall, after turning my car on and off several times and driving a few blocks the ac cuts on and my car begins to run fine. I have been told by Toyota that bc there is no indicator light and it's running fine there is nothing they can do. There was a recent recall in February of 2014 with similar issues I am experiencing but my car was not apart of the recall. Not sure what else I can do. Numerous Toyota dealerships have been of no help and I fear that my safety is at risk.

- Kemah, TX, USA

Sep 012012

Prius 4-cyl

Unable to add any gas to the fuel tank even when tank is near empty. Gas just spurts back out of the filler neck. Over time we have learned that this is temperature related. At or near freezing temperatures and colder it becomes impossible at times to add any gas to the tank. The only way to add fuel is to get the car to a warmer location and let it sit for a few hours. We have detailed records documenting several instances where we could add no fuel and many instances where a near empty tank will take only 1-2 gallons. The car has been seen by two different Toyota service centers but they claim they can find nothing wrong. Toyota usa has stopped responding to our requests for help. We are unable to trust the car for extended trips in the winter due to fears of getting stuck with an empty gas tank. A (related?) problem is that the fuel level indications are not consistent and thus cannot be trusted.

- Walla Walla, WA, USA

Oct 092013

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while starting the ignition, a strong odor of fuel emitted inside and outside of the vehicle. The contact did not detect a fuel leak. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 77,771.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 012012

Prius 4-cyl

Car exhibits symptoms consistent with fuel tank bladder collapse. Have observed widely erratic fuel gauge indications and difficulty adding fuel - particularly in colder weather, (temperatures below approximately 45 degrees F). On occasion it has almost impossible to add gas to a nearly empty tank even at a trickle as the fuel filler auto shutoff keeps tripping. Attempts to add even small amounts of gas can result in gas spewing back out the filling accompanied by belching sounds coming from the tank. Often the tank cannot be filled to the advertised capacity even in warmer weather. Toyota dealer service denies ever having heard of this problem and has offered no credible solution. On an extended trip this could easily result in being stalled with little warning as there is no reliable indication of how much usable fuel is in the tank or when the fuel gauge is going to quickly drop to near zero. This is also an environmental concern due to emission of gasoline fumes and spurting of raw gas during refueling.

- Walla Walla, WA, USA