2010 Toyota Prius body / paint problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Sep 222016

Vehicle was parked. When I returned to the vehicle, the rear window glass had spontaneously shattered/ exploded. There were no signs of vandalism. I understand that this is a problem with the type of glass that is used, and that this is not an uncommon occurrence. Examples may be found on youtube.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Dec 012015

Ongoing problem should have reported much earlier. Body parts are plastic--likely to reduce weight--coupled with undersurfaces to improve aerodynamics and mpg. The front "spoiler" is set too low and snags wheel chocks when parking. This snagging tears connectors in a "cascade" to loosen or tear from other parts. At about 35 mphthe loosened passenger-side inner fender tore loose on a major thoroughfare (fortunately low-trafficed at the time). It was run over and recovered. I asked local dealerabout repair/replacement but couldn't get specifics and let it slide. This inner fender provides structural integrity as well as shielding the washer tank and parts of the engine compartment's innards. Lacking that integrity, and with some connector holes torn, wind gusting at road speeds (and further snagging) often causes the wrap-around part of the front bumper to pull loose from its "lego-like snaps" into the fender. Were things to tear loose at road speeds on a busy highway the "shrapnel" could cause major accidents. Specific dates unknown-has been a continuing issue. --so date below is, therefore, arbitrary.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 312015

Prius 4-cyl

Affected part# 5141012105 cover. While driving a scraping sound was heard. After stopping and checking, a plastic part under the engine compartment was dragging. We had to drive 5 miles to have the part removed. The service entry of the plastic engine belly protector had broken away. The service entry is not hinged or reinforced in any way to the belly protector. The cost to repair was $271.37 for parts and $50 for installation. This is a very poor design of a part meant to be bent at service!!

- Hilo, HI, USA

Aug 202010

Prius 4-cyl

The front bumper is so low that I have to go over bumps and dips very slowly, when turning into a driveway I'm very afraid I'll get hit from behind by cars going in the same direction because I have to enter the driveway so slowly. I've had numerous close calls. My bumper has damage from dragging when going thru a dip.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Nov 202014

Prius 4-cyl

Backing up in a private parking lot of an apartment in sunnyvale the evening of November 20 aprox 22:00 hrs. At 2 mph or less an impact was felt to rear of bumper from a stationary object. Visibility was poor. An auto body shop determined bumper needs to be replaced and not repairable. Pictures available. I feel bumper standard spelled out by NHTSA is not met by 2010 Toyota Prius.

May 232014

Prius 4-cyl

Whilst stopped at a traffic light, behind a suburu, the brake failed and hit the suburu. (this was not the first time the brake failed, but fortunately there were no other cars involved when the car did not stop. The driver believed that black ice was involved, but after the incident with the suburu, realized that it was brake failure.) believing that the auto could no longer be trusted, it was sold. Toyota insisted it was driver error., and claimed that there was no fault in the breaking system.

- Saco, ME, USA

Feb 172014

The oil door fells off.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 232013

Prius 4-cyl

Overhead console sunglass holder cover will not close due to latch stuck inside. Only repeated pressing of black spring button will release latch to catch and close cover lip.

May 302013

Driving at approximately 30 mph and the oil change cover fell off the vehicle. The cover is beneath the car's engine nearest the passenger-side tire. The panel had shown wear and it looked like a plastic fastener failed. The panel was able to be recovered.

- North Thetford, VT, USA

May 232013

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway, going the speed limit when my bumper bottom became partially detached. It caused me to swerve slightly. I immediately slowed down and put on my emergency lights, driving slowly on the freeway until I could pull off safely. Once on the side of the road, I inspected my car and saw a large black bumper piece dragging from the front of the car. I was 1 mile from the Toyota dealership, so I drove my car to the dealership. I was told by the service personnel that this was a design issue with the Toyota Prius as it is very low to the ground and many customers had problems with the bumper. In the two years I have owned my Toyota Prius, I have noticed that it hits the parking lot separations because it is low. I must stop before the parking lot separation in order to avoid this. It is strange that the Toyota would be allowed to be so low as to cause this problem. Even more alarming is that my bumper bottom suddenly fell off, without warning. This seems like a potentially dangerous and poor design that should be addressed.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 202012

Prius 4-cyl

The following event happened twice with this vehicle. Tin both instances, the car was running and in park with no one in the vehicle. It then down the driveway with no one in it. In the second occurrence, it appears to have gone into reverse on its own and rolled into a retaining wall causing damage to the rear passenger side bumper and back panel.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Nov 072012

Prius 4-cyl

2010 Toyota Prius at dealership for 25000 mile service. On 11/07/2012 at 1700 the dealership called and reported that the car is "infested with rodents." Stated that headliner is saturated with urine/ feces, air and cabin air filters destroyed, wires chewed, rodents found to be living in dashboard, in door interiors, and other areas. Reported that this was "the worst case we've seen." Car is owned by two professionals- no children who would have dropped food and no food ever eaten in vehicle. Purchased new from this same dealership 01/02/2011. Dealership now reports that the car is a health/ safety hazard and could cost "thousands" to repair. Our internet research revealed that rodent infestation is common in the Toyota Prius, reportedly because rodents are able to gain easy access through the car's ventilation system. Owners reported contacting Toyota, who denied liability and denied request for assistance.

- Shermans Dale, PA, USA

Oct 112011

Prius 4-cyl

Cheap thin black plastic engine cover for oil pan is defective with one edge cracked 100% after only 5 oil changes similar to aircraft aluminum metal fatigue. This plastic flap under oil drain plug is now dragging on the road hanging by a single bolt. Ridiculous to fail after opening and closing oil drain pan cover 5 times. We view this as a defect covered under our bumper to bumper 7 year 100,000 mile platinum extended warranty contract for which we paid $1870 on 07-14-2009 for a new vehicle. Minor scratches and dust are not proximate cause of failure.

Sep 022011

Plastic undercarriage cover loosened and started dragging on highway for no apparant reason.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Mar 042010

I was driving my brand new, 3 weeks old, 2010 Toyota Prius on a rural road in clark county Washington on Thursday, March 4, 2010, when I attempted to slow down to make a very sharp left turn. I was applying my brakes when all of the sudden I realized I was not slowing down much and was not going to make the turn. I have maneuvered this turn hundreds of times and know that one must slow to almost a crawl to make the turn. I travel this area at least 1-2 times per week, so I was not unfamiliar with the turn. It felt like my car initially slowed some, but then slowing ceased and I ended up on embankment. The front of my car was damaged severely. I was not hurt but left with a very frightening experience to deal with. I am a excellent driver and have never had a wreck in the 31 years I have been driving. I believe my brakes initially engaged, but then due to the rural road surface, and pebbles left on the road from previous ice and snow, may have caused my brakes to not work as they should have. I attempted to contact Toyota but they are closed due to it being the weekend. My car is at the auto body shop as I write this letter. My concern is that I was allowed to purchase a vehicle, that is on the recall list with such a dangerous defect such as "the brakes not working properly." I have a teenage son who is just learning to drive and would it have been him, the accident may have been worse. Please advise how you believe I should proceed. I am very concerned, upset, and do not feel safe in this car! and I certainly do not want to Transport my children, other family members and friends in an unsafe vehicle that I just spent $33,000 on. I was told when I purchased the car that it would be safe, fine to drive, and may not even be on the recall list. It is on the list and it is not a safe vehicle as far as I am concerned.

- La Center, WA, USA

Dec 042009

I own a 2010 Prius with approximately 8,400 miles on it. I have only recently began to experience problems that have been reported before by others. When driving over some extremely rough spots, the car accelerates by itself. It feels like the brake pedal becomes an accelerator. My experience is that it only lasts about 2 or 3 seconds but is very obvious. Also, I would like to say that I have owned a sienna, Camry, avalon and a 2005 Prius prior to purchasing my present 2010 Prius. This 2010 Prius has more squeaks, rattles and stress noises than all of my other Toyota products combined. For the last 13 years, I have driven only Toyota's., but have become disillusioned with this car. The road noise is excessive and the mpg shown on the display shows 2-3 mpg more than actual mpg. If I could trade this car in for near the amount I paid for it. I would do it tomorrow. Though it is only my opinion, I feel that the quality of Toyota products has decreased dramatically during recent years. This is also supported by the excessive number of recalls during recent years.

- Maumelle, AR, USA