2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 35 of 37)

Jan 232010

Prius

My 2010 Toyota Prius 1) lurches forward when braking while driving on an uneven surface, like a pothole, indent/crevice in road, etc. 2) the brakes repeatedly grab and cause the car to lurch when backing up on an uneven/slippery surface. Both problems seem to happen when applying pressure and braking at a slower speed. This problem has occurred multiple times (approximately 4-5) since purchasing the Prius in June 2009.

- Seabeck, WA, USA

Jan 262010

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. Whenever the vehicle travels over a rough terrain at any speed the contact noticed that the brake pedal released causing the vehicle to suddenly accelerate. The braking distance and pressure applied to the brake pedal also increased in order to stop the vehicle. The dealer stated that the failure could not be reproduced. There were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 8300.

- Chevy Chase, MD, USA

Jan 212010

Prius

Loss of braking after hitting pot hole on freeway at low speed, less that 10 mph, similar to other incidences on this car.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 212010

Prius

I have experienced at least three times in my 2 month old 2010 Toyota Prius a lurch forward when braking when my car drives over a bump, pothole, or something slick. Most recently I was driving downhill in dense traffic and the lurch felt like an acceleration. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me. This braking problem clearly can be a hazard to safe driving and to any pedestrian or other close vehicle.

- Seattlew, WA, USA

Prius

2010 Prius. This has happened about 10 times now. Sometimes when I brake, I experience a sudden acceleration. It ranges from slight to a lurch. When it first happened, I thought it was something on the road and ignored it. When it was more pronounced and happened a couple of more times, I brought it to the dealer. They said they had no other reports and could not replicate it. The service manager took me on a test drive and the car was fine. I knew this would happen as the acceleration is only occasional. I was advised to call Toyota national, which I did, and was told that since this could not be replicated that there was nothing they could do and no recourse I had as the complaint could not be replicated. It has happened several times since, so I have paid close attention, as my heart has been racing, to the conditions. It has happened when I am braking while going over manholes, speed strips, cracks in the pavement. It feels like the tire is getting hung up slightly, doesn't get any traction.the brake malfunction light comes on. Also, on the multi-information display, the indicator has just moved from eco to chg.the other day, it was 34 degrees and I was braking as I came up to a light and the car slid and vibrated. I was going about 5 miles an hour. There may have been some black ice or frost on the ground, but the shaking was intense and I had difficulty controlling the car for a few seconds until I stopped.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 222010

Prius

Yesterday, I once again experienced an issue that I have observed since I got my 2010 Prius in October 2009. There are two intersections close to my home that both are at the bottom of a hill and have potholes about 5 yards from the stop sign. In both locations, when my Prius hits the potholes, I have the sensation that the brakes release even though I am keeping pressure on them as I approach the stop sign. This does not happen with our 2007 rav4. I now know that I have to slow down as if the stop sign is before the pothole, but I worry about my wife driving it and about a condition that I won't be prepared for.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Sep 032009

Prius

Car: Prius 2010 (purchased in August 2009) problem: Braking failure on uneven surfaces or potholes I feel very unsafe and dangerous whenever I hit uneven surfaces or potholes because I feel I am losing control over my own car, especially since I am in los angeles where roads are not that great condition. I almost hit people several times because the brake and hit several cars when I was braking.... and, the brake is so weak that it doesn't hold the car that well on the hills. It goes backward whenever I stop at the traffic light on the hill and driving. I tried to talk to the dealer who helped me with purchase, but he made me look like I am a bad/unsafe driver who doesn't know how to drive well. The incident happened shortly after I purchased the vehicle, but I thought it was really my fault to not handling the "new" technology car well. It is very regretful to purchase a vehicle like this with so much money.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 152010

Prius

Many times while braking, when I hit a pothole or bump, the brakes go out, causing the car to accelerate. I feel a loss of control, which is regained a few seconds later. It's led to several terrifying situations where I've almost hit the vehicle in front of me.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Prius

There have been several times when the brakes of my 2010 Toyota Prius have released, often when I hit a bump or am going over a hill. The car feels as if it's suddenly accelerating even though I am pushing down on the brakes. This has happened at least 4 - 5 times per week since I bought my car in July 2009. Today, I was unable to stop as I approach an intersection despite pushing down on the brakes. The car hesitated and finally the brakes engaged. Luckily no one was coming through the intersection for if there had been, I surely would have hit them.

- Bath, ME, USA

Prius

When I am braking/slowing and turning and hit a curb or chunk of ice, or driving straight and hit a chunk of ice, my 2010 Prius brakes will completely go away. This has happened 4 times during the past 3 weeks of winter weather.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Dec 202009

Prius

On several occasions my 2010 Toyota Prius accelerated for a few seconds as I placed my foot on the brake. On at least one occasion it happened as I went over a bump in the road. There has been no accident and no injuries. The acceleration occurred for a few brief seconds. I am concerned that this problem could occur when there is a pedestrian or auto close in front of me.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

When I hit particular intersections or when the ground is covered with ice or snow, my brakes will begin to slow down the vehicle. But then they fail. I lose control of my vehicle. I have to re-push the brake pedal for it to actually brake. It is scary and dangerous because I have no control over my car when the brakes are out and one of these times it is going to cause an accident. Since I purchased the car brand new in July, it has happened to me over 10 times. I only have 5300 miles on my car. I'm not sure what I can do to correct the problem.

- Utica, NE, USA

Prius

Three times, twice with me and once with my wife, the automobile accelerated during braking. The acceleration (or loss of brakes, it's hard to tell) lasted for only a second, but enough where I had to press the brakes with force to come to my intended stop. I could have easily ended up in the middle of the intersection.

- Jamaica Plain, MA, USA

Sep 252009

Prius 4-cyl

The contact has 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact was engaging the brake pedal while driving 15 mph into a pot hole. Once the contact drove into the pot hole the brakes released and she was forced to pump the brakes in order to stop the vehicle. The contact stated that there was a loud screeching noise as well. The failure mileage was 600. The current mileage was 5,600. Updated 02/17/10

- New Market, MD, USA

Jan 172010

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving in the rain 10 mph over a bump in the road he lost the braking power and the vehicle surged. The dealer has not been contacted. The failure mileage was 2,800. Updated 02/19/10.

- Centerport, NY, USA

Jan 162010

Prius

Toyota Prius 2010- car surged while braking to a halt. It felt as though I had suddenly lost braking power for a few moments, like I had hit an ice patch. But the road surface was dry. This was the second time it happened to me, the first about a week or 10 days ago. Car was purchased on 1/4, delivered on 1/8/2010. The problem is not reproducible, but both times the car was moving at relatively low speed (10 mph or less).

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

I knew something was wrong, even before reading the online complaints about the 2010 Prius and its braking problems that echoed my suspicions---- when sometimes braking over a pothole or railroad tracks or ice or any kind of bump, there is a surge of acceleration. To the extent that one time my 15 year old daughter said, 'what was that?" I'd driven a Saab 93 for 130,000 miles before we recently bought the Prius--I never felt anything like this before.

- Haworth, NJ, USA

Sep 302009

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While driving 45 mph and attempting to engage the brake pedal it extended to the floor; however, within a few seconds the brake would respond. She experienced the brake failure three times; during the second failure the brakes didn't respond and she collided into a vehicle and injured her neck. She has not taken the vehicle to the dealer since the failure occurred only when she hit a bump in the road. She will take the vehicle to the dealer to be diagnosed. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 3,000 and the current mileage was 10,000. Updated 03/09/10. The consumer stated she experienced brake problems with her vehicle twice while slowing down to come to a stop or to make a turn. The consumer stated she felt a release of the brakes and a surge after hitting a pot hole in the road. Two ago, while driving, she hit a bump in the road and she felt the same acceleration, like the gas pedal was applied, but she was braking at the time. The consumer was involved in an accident where she was rear-ended. She was at a stop with her foot on the brake. The consumer stated when she was hit, she was pushed forward and hit the vehicle in front of her. Updated 05/13/10

- Chandler , AZ, USA

Jan 132010

Prius

When my vehicle is first started in the morning the brakes grab suddenly. This occurs at least twice a week. I have owned the new car for 1.5 months. I have not taken the vehicle to the dealer.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 272009

Prius

My 2010 Toyota Prius lurches forward when braking when I hit an uneven surface, like a pothole, indent/crevice in road, or other type of uneven surface. There is a loss of braking for approximately 1 second and you instinctively hit the brake again to regain braking. It is as if the car accelerates for a split second and you lose control before you hit the brake pedal again. It seems to happen when I am braking at a slower speed and coming to a stop. This problem has occurred multiple times (approximately 12) since I purchased and received my Prius in September 2009. No accidents have occurred thus far because of this problem., but I am very concerned about this problem and my/others safety. I reported this problem to the Toyota dealership I purchased my car from in October 2009. They performed a health check on the car to make sure everything was operating fine and reported that it was, and told me to bring the car back in if the problem continued. I went into the dealership to talk to someone on 1/13/10 to again discuss the problem. The dealership representative said they he is aware of reports of the problem and will get back to me with any new information.

- Proctorville, OH, USA