2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 9 of 37)

Feb 092010

Prius 2010. Brake problem. I was applying the brakes and the car was slowing down then as I drove over a bump the brakes stopped working and the car gained speed until the brakes worked again. This occurred a few times before. Toyota has recalled Prius 2010 in Japan for this problem. They need to do a recall here in the us.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 192009

The brakes were a problem in my Prius 2010 from beginning. It would accelerate on braking. Happened 3 times. I had no floor mats at that time in my car. I took it for my 1st oil change to koons Toyota, annapolis in Oct last yr and complained about it. At that time, I had put mats. They blamed it on mats. They test drove and said its fine. Told me to bring it back if problem persists. I kept driving and this last month's snow made it all apprant again. Would not brake but accelerate on snow, happened 4 times on one trip. I am not driving it anymore on snow days. Relying on Honda odyessy- much more stable. Its surprising, Toyota Prius 2010 was last to be recalled with so many complaints on board.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Sep 052009

Approximately five times while driving my 2010 Toyota Prius I have experienced problems with stopping when one of my tires either is on a manhole cover or on uneven road(one tire in a pothole). When this occurs I am usually going approximately 30 mph. I apply the brake slowly to start to slow down for a stop sign. My right front tire rolls over a manhole cover and while my foot is still on the brake my car accelerates, lunging forward. This lasts for 1-2 seconds when I have no control over the vehicle. After this 1-2 seconds my brakes stop the vehicle. The entire time my foot has been on the brake. I know that if a car was in front of me at the time, I would have rear-ended it. Every time this has occurred my traction control light goes on. I have had my car to the dealer 3 times with the same complaint. They even took the car out for a drive with me and of course we could never recreate what has happened to me. I was never told that other people were experiencing the same problems. However, in talking to people at the dealership, they said it may be the traction control because it is supposed to make your tires spin slower if you loose traction. It seems as if it does the opposite and speeds the tire up. I asked if there was any way they could check my traction control system to make sure it was working properly, but was told there is no way to check it. I am not sure if anyone has thought about the traction control system. It seems like everyone is pointing fingers to the braking system. It might be worthwhile to check into the traction control as well. It seems like a short amount of time to not be in control. But for that 1-2 seconds my heart always drops because I have no control over my vehicle.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Feb 032010

I was stopped at a traffic light. The street was uphill. My 2010 Prius began to roll back, although I was stepping on the brake. This continued for several seconds, while I tried to press hard on the brakes (they were not responsive). Luckily, there was no car behind me, otherwise, a crash would have ensued. Road conditions were wet and somewhat slippery at that time. This was my first experience with this brake failure, which lasted for a few seconds. I have not had a chance to contact the dealer yet.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Sep 102009

Toyota Prius 2010 going downhill pushing the brakes to stop before red light in the uneven pavement the car suddenly loses all fours wheels brakes for a fraction of a second. When the wheel that passed the road bump the brakes come back again and stop the car. It happened three time in the last 4 months that I have the car. Same car defect in the fuel system. After leaving in the garage for 5 consecutive days, the car did not started automatically as it should do. It made for several seconds a metal to metal noise before the engine finally started to funtioning as usual. Seams like the engine starved of fuel. Same car excessive vibration on the driver side door panel when the radio or music is on. It stops when I hold with my knee tha panel.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 012010

When slowing down, such as to make a turn or to change to reverse, when the brake was applied, there was some acceleration also occurring. This has happened 4-5 times in past few months, the last time was about 7 or ten days ago. The car did brake with no further problem and no harm occurred and there was no damage.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 102009

I have experienced two problems with my 2010 Prius V that I purchased last summer. First, on approximately 6-8 occasions, my car has not stopped immediately when I applied the brakes. This occurred 3-4 times when I approached a stop sign on a road between my home and church. The surface of the road approaching the stop sign had been scraped and roughened to get ready for re-paving. As I approached and applied the brakes, my car surged forward for about a second, but I was able to stop. This happened 3-4 times in other locations, as well. It is an incredibly strange and helpless sensation. This problem was probably noted between late August 2009 and last occurred about three weeks ago. Even though I was forced to put an exact date in the field below, I have no idea now when the exact dates were in which this braking issue occurred. When I brought my car to the dealer for its first oil change, I described what had happened but was told this had nothing to do with the other problems that had been identified in the media as to other cars. The person at the service desk just kind of ignored my comments and was not interested in hearing about the braking issue further. The second problem I have experienced is that when using the cruise control accelerate function the car just continued accelerating even though I was no longer turning the cruise function lever. This stopped when I applied my brakes. It did cause me to stop using the cruise control during that trip though. The cruise control issue probably occurred last August in I-5.

- Shoreline, WA, USA

Aug 062009

I bought a 2010 Toyota Prius in August 2009. In addition to the braking problem I describe below, I also have an acceleration problem. I questioned my Toyota dealership about the fact that when I am braking over metal (manhole cover, repair lids, etc.) the car is quickly pushed forward about 3 to 4 feet. Several other new owners said they had the same experience. The dealer said that when they checked with Toyota, they were told that the hybrid battery motor used a magnet and the braking system to recharge it. And that the push forward was from the repelling action of the magnet. My sisters own a 2008 Camry hybrid and 2008 Prius, and they both have experienced this propelling motion when on metal surfaces also. The problem with the dealers advice to "not brake on metal surfaces" doesn't help in snow or water situations. Will this problem be fixed by the ABS brakes software change?? I also had several instances where the brake pedal would suddenly go to the floor and produce very little braking power. The problem was intermittent and the dealer said they found nothing wrong. Since then I have had several other instances where the brakes didn't work well and I almost hit the car in front of me. So I now drive with a lot of distance between me and other cars because I don't know when it will happen. I should say that I've had other cars with ABS brakes and this car does not feel like I have them. On slippery surfaces (snow, water) the brakes do not pump themselves like other ABS cars that I have driven. I have dropped it into low gear to help brake. These things have happened many times since I bought the car. I have been very careful and not had an accident yet.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Feb 092010

(owner of Prius), I bought Prius 2010 model in Aug'2009 from koons arlington Toyota in arlington, va, us. Since then I do not have any issues up until today. When I cam out today to drive on 66 highway and also to get on to West ox road, I had recall complaints what was listed occurred to me. 1) above 60 miles speed when I was traveling and time to apply the brakes, I couldn't stop the car immediately, it took 2-3 min. To get to stop after traveling some distance though I didn't see how far I had to travel too. 2) other incident happen on same travel time on West ox road, I was approaching a traffic light near fox mill at speed around 12 - 15 miles / hour - I couldn't stop the car, it was accelerating only inspite me applying the brakes.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 052010

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 5 mph into a parking space with the brake pedal engaged, the vehicle failed to slow down and crashed into a sidewalk. The front fender was damaged; however, the contact was able to drive the vehicle to his residence. The contact also complained to the dealer regarding the brake failure and was told that nothing was wrong with the brakes. The insurance company advised the contact to call the Toyota manufacturer and file a claim for which she is currently waiting for a response. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- St Paul , MN, USA

Dec 172009

My 2010 Toyota Prius was delivered on December 15. I have observed that the brake pedal drops abruptly at times while slowing. I am not sure yet if it is after hitting a bump or just the transition of speeds. It is very sudden. It might result in loss of control if one is not aware of this.

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Jan 222010

Driving on slippery roads, but not unpassable, my 2010 Prius braking system failed to provide any assistance in prevention of slipping into a parked vehicle in my lane, resulting in 2900+ dollars of damage, plus, since the body shop was unable to properly inspect the damage without taking the car apart. I was found at fault for this accident, for which I fear my insurance rates will rise. I am a safe driver. Never having had an accident before. I new the car was not responding to the brake pedal as it should, and that was before this recall ever came to light. The accident happened on Jan. 22, 2010.

- Greer, SC, USA

Jan 102010

The brakes on our 2010 Prius have repeatedly had problems. Most have occured with my wife driving the vehicle. She had told me several months ago about the car feeling like it was "sliding" or the brakes not being very effective for a short time. I passed this off as the the car being different than other cars since it was a hybrid. Then about 3 weeks ago I had it happen to me. While turning and going over a small hump in a driveway about 15 mph, the brakes just seemed to release for about a half second and I almost ran into an iron gate. I cannot describe the other events that my wife has had in detail because occurred over the last several months and she does not remember the specific details besides that they happened over uneven pavement while applying the brakes.

- N Richland Hills, TX, USA

Jun 302009

Shortly after date of purchase of my Prius I have reported to Toyota service department on numerous occasions that the brake system feels faulty: The brakes often lock or do not function at all when the car is at a slight incline either going up or down a road. There is also a constant high pitched noise emanating from the wheels. Toyota has claimed that it is a "characteristic feature" of the car and have been unable to locate the issue. Toyota has reviewed this issue at a minimum or 5 or 6 times and have not done any repairs to my car at all. The car was purchased and is always taken to keyes Toyota in van nuys, ca. I am submitting a date below with this form as requested, but the issue has been ongoing for many months since June 2009. I specifically expressed my concern to Toyota because I often have my infant and toddler niece and nephew in the car with me. Toyota claimed there is no reason for concern and that they "could find nothing wrong with the car".

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Feb 042010

Temporary loss of control of my vehicle as I was going over a speed bump. I felt like my brakes had failed.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Feb 022010

While driving our 2010 Toyota Prius on a snowy and bumpy road, my wife pressed on the brake pedal and it took a second or two for the brakes to work. This happened several times. She thought it was due to lack of traction in the snow, but based on all of the other braking complaints about the Prius, she felt it was not due to snow, but rather a problem with the braking system

- Winnetka, IL, USA

Jan 102010

Toyota Prius 2010 - it has happened to me, multiple times this winter, during icy roads that when I try to brake the car accelerates as if someone hit the car from behind. Then, the car eventually stops. I have had the car for 6 months and I live in the midwest and it has only happened this winter when roads are icy or slushy.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 082010

My 2010 Toyota Prius is having braking problems when I apply the brakes while/after hitting a bump or pothole. For example, when I approach a stop sign and apply the brakes while hitting a bump, the car lurches forward briefly (1-2 seconds) before the brakes kick in. The brakes work fine when no bump is encountered during braking. I can repeat this failure consistently with a bump in my neighborhood. No fix yet.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Feb 062010

While driving eastbound on moorpark street, approaching dixie canyon avenue, I braked in preparation to make a right hand turn, and the brakes released when I hit a small pot hole. The brakes re-engaged approximately 1-2 seconds later.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 302010

1. event: Normal city driving (I.e., car in drive and cruise control off) 2. the failure: Press on brake and feel softness instead of firmness; must press much harder on brake than typically required to bring car to stop in same distance. Failure occurs sporadically during course of regular driving. Have not associated failure with traveling over rough surfaces. 3. contacted Toyota dealer and was told that we would receive letter in mail instructing us on what to do, because no correction has been developed yet for this problem in existing cars.

- San Marino, CA, USA