2010 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Apr 242015

Prius 4-cyl

I purchased the Toyota certified pre-owned Prius in July 2013. I first had an issue with the headlight in August 2014 when the headlight kept coming loose from it's casing. This happened again on April 24, 2015 only this time the headlight fell to rest on some plastic and caused the headlight assembly to start on fire. No one was injured. I used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. I believe the socket part of the headlight assembly was defective.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 242015

Prius 4-cyl

Since owning the vehicle, I have experienced the low beam headlights burn out within 9 months. Recently, one bulb burned out within 3 months. I was pulled over by the city police, driving with one headlight out is not only a safety issue, but could result in a citation.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jan 282015

The headlight hid start to go on and off finally the left side went off. Also while driving the car desacelerated and increased speed by itself.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Prius 4-cyl

Low beam headlights both went out at the same time while driving down the road. The driver's side has since been replaced twice over the last 6 months and is now out again and the passenger side has been replaced twice.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 102014

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger low beam headlight went out first then a few months later the driver low beam headlight went out and has now gone out for the 3rd time. Had to use high beams all the way home cause I could hardly see anything with low beams. Have been pulled over a few times by the cops for this problem. Pulled over 2 times in just one night because of this problem.

- Mooers Forks, NY, USA

Feb 012011

The low beams on this vehicle fail on a regular basis. Initially moving the wiring harness where it connects to the light will cause the low beam to come back on, but then will fail again without notice. After doing this several time over an undetermined period of time (undetermined because it can happen at any time) moving the harness fails to resolve the problem and the light bulb needs to be replaced (I'm assuming moving the harness to get the bulb to relight eventually causes the bulb to fail). I purchased two new low beam bulbs approximately one month ago and am now returning to the store this morning this morning to purchase another set of bulbs, which will then lead to moving the writing harness to get the bulbs to relight, which will then once again lead to early failure of the new bulbs.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jan 112015

Prius 4-cyl

The dash display mph and mileage totally went black. Looked it up on the internet and seems like it is a common problem for the 2010 Toyota Prius. Sounds like Toyota use to cover this before this year model, but not now, even though it is still happening. They may have done their dash alittle different, but it is still having the same problem.

- Quitman, AR, USA

Feb 262014

Prius 4-cyl

I purchased a certified used 2010 Toyota Prius from the East coasts number one certified used Toyota dealer. I was presented with papers showing all the checks performed with a certified used Toyota and that the vehicle I was purchasing had pass all the inspections. I test drove the vehicle during the day and did not use the headlights. Once I was home (over 3 hours away) I used the headlights for the first time in the next few days. The driver┐'s side lights were very dim. I took the low beam bulb out and notice a lot of corrosion on the bulb and moisture in the headlamp assembly. I let it dry out and replaced both the drivers and passenger side low beam light bulbs. Over the summer I noticed a few time moisture would build up but would be gone within a few days. Now during the winter the moisture has frozen inside the driver side headlamp assembly and impedes on the effectiveness of the headlamp. My visibility is reduced and has now become a safety issue. I have not owned the vehicle for a full year yet and even purchased the top of the line extended Toyota warranty. My local dealer stated it was not covered under any warranty and that would cost around $500 to be replaced. Toyota has a technical service bulletin on this issue and should repair at no cost to owners due to a safety hazard.

- Perryville, MD, USA

Jan 172015

After returning to vehicle, low beam headlights failed to properly illuminate. I replaced both bulbs with new ones, and they still fail to cast enough light. The bulbs appear to be on, but are too dim to be effective.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

May 022014

Prius 4-cyl

One of the headlights (low beam) stopped working sometimes in 2013, then it came back. Over the course of 2013-2014, the front right light went out and I had the light bulb replaced. Then it died again. I replaced both bulbs based on the aftermarket recommendation but the lights are not bright enough. The front left parking light also died twice. Something is screwy with the electrical for the lights.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 252014

Prius 4-cyl

My 2010 Prius has had an ongoing problem with the main headlamps blowing, becoming inoperative and effectively leaving me with diminished visibility. This has happened approximately every 3 months since March 2014. Either one or both headlamps will blow. This is due to a known problem with this model and is covered under a Toyota/NHTSA service bulletin (tsp-0204-12). In my case, I purchased the car used, from a Toyota dealer with the Toyota certified car warranty, but this failure of the wiring harness is apparently not covered. Judging by the percentage of complaints in the database for this model, this is a common problem and my experience has been typical. In the most recent incident, it was raining heavily and I ended up driving 150 miles with a blown headlamp, unsafe for me and unsafe for those whom I shared the road with.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Jan 182015

Prius 4-cyl

Both low beams went out at same time at night. High beams operational. Bulbs had been replaced a month ago. A quick search finds many instances of this happening. It shouldn't be the bulbs. Makes for very dangerous driving.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jan 182015

Prius 4-cyl

Low beam headlights stopped working during night driving. Had to drive home with high beams only at night. Felt endangered and very unsafe both for myself and the public.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 132015

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving back home from work on a country road at night when my low beam lights both went out. I had to drive home with my high beams on. This is the 4th set of headlights in a year that we have replaced.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Oct 252014

Prius 4-cyl

I do not have the need to do much night driving. Last Saturday, while returning from a family visit, night had approached. The dim lights were next to worthless. The cars approaching me from behind lit my path. I had visited Toyota a few weeks back and they advised me the headlight bulb was loose. I tightened it, but that night, the illumination of the headlights was lacking. I returned to Toyota today and they tell me these headlights have a "projector" that is bad...both sides! there is no recall or manufacturer's defect that covers the replacement. They will gladly replace these for $852. I have regarded Toyota as a top contender in car manufacturing. I am terribly disappointed and appalled that this safety issue is not covered by Toyota.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 262014

Prius 4-cyl

Driving home at night going approximately 40 mph both low beam head lights went out at the same time. Turned on the high beam and they worked ok. Bought new bulbs the next day and installed but did not resolve the problem.

- Eagle, ID, USA

Aug 032012

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the low beam headlights failed and the contact had to utilize the high beams in order to drive at night. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician replaced the low beam lights but the failure recurred. Also, the contact mentioned that before the short in the low beams, the marker lights had to be replaced as well. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 70,000. Updated 11/24/14 updated 05/06/2015

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Oct 072014

Prius 4-cyl

2010 Toyota iv Prius: Returning home at night in a dark, rural country area of Pennsylvania. Windy, two-lane road with frequent opposing traffic. Left front headlight goes out making it very difficult to see with remaining headlight. Switched to high beams which worked ok until opposing traffic appeared and had to switch back to low beam (singular). A dangerous situation with opposing headlights in your eyes and not enough light from my own car to illuminate the road in front of me. Later, it turned out that the headlamp bulb was ok and "something" was making it either intermittent or go out completely. Sometimes striking the headlight lens assembly with the heel of your hand would get the light to come back on. My wife recently was cited for driving with a headlight out in our local area. This is not a safe situation and the local dealer says he can't help us.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 252011

Prius 4-cyl

We have owned this vehicle since it has been new and have replaced the driver's side front headlight annually. This time it went out just 4 weeks after a local mechanic replaced the bulb. When I took it to Toyota and complained of the problem and asked about a warranty fix I was told that the prior bulb had been installed incorrectly and now the entire headlight should be replaced for $500. This is the same problem we have always had.

- Ames, NE, USA

Feb 032014

Prius 4-cyl

The headlights burn out on a regular basis. Shortly after replacing the bulb it will burn out again (usually within a week). At times both sides burn out at the same time without warning causing a safety hazard. This is a known problem for Toyota Prius products. We have contacted the company who states this problem was resolved with the 09 model year and refuse to admit or assist with repairs of the known electrical defect.

- Saint Clair, MI, USA