2010 Toyota Prius miscellaneous problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 012011

My 2010 Prius lurches forward when the brakes are applied and I hit a bump or other uneven surfaces.

- New City, NY, USA

May 072010

I was making a sharp right turn to pull into a parking space, slowing to a stop. The car suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated forward out of my control. I applied the brakes as hard as I could, with no response. As the car was racing into a tree, I shut off the engine by pushing the power button to off. The car knocked down a tree and came to a stop on top of it.

- Cotuit, MA, USA

Jun 112011

I was driving with to passengers on the New Jersey turnpike at 65 mph when I heard a loud noise from under the car. The plastic front engine cover had come loose and was dragging on the pavement. A aaa mechanic removed the part and the Toyota dealer is replacing it at not charge. I think it is a safety defect.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

May 022011

2010 Toyota Prius. Consumer writes in regards to rapid acceleration issues the consumer wants to know did the investigation into this matter examine the interrelationship between the accelerator, braking system and cruise control.

- Saint Leonard, MD, USA

Apr 152011

After approximately 4 oil changes the oil access door breaks off the vehicle. The oil has been changed 9 times in my Prius and after 4 oil changes the oil access door has now broken off twice. Each time I heard it break loose like I drove over some debris and I could see it in my rearview mirror go flying across the highway lanes. The oil access door does not have a hinge. It is all plastic and is bent/folded to gain access to the oil filter and drain plug. I changed the oil the first 4 times and the dealer complained I was doing something wrong. The dealer was reluctant to replace the entire engine undercover assembly, stating they would only do it one time. The dealer changed my oil the next 4 times and it happened again right before I scheduled my 5th oil change. After the second occurrence, I retrieved the oil access door to confirm since the vehicle is so low you cannot see it under the car unless it is raised up.

- Troy, MI, USA

Nov 052010

Gas pedal does not accelerate when foot goes down on it 4 times -- I do not have exact dates 1. early November, 2010 1 incident 2. January, 2011 2 incidents 3. unknown unknown 1. coming down the 405 at the 101 interchange, my gas pedal did not propel my car forward. I coasted to the side, turned off the motor, started again and all was fine. I reported it by phone and got an appt. To have the car checked. The dealer said there was nothing wrong. 2. it happened again as I was coming down the 101 into camarillo. I stopped, restarted and went on my way. 3. it happened again but not on an incline. I was going about 10 miles an hour on a flat parking lot. Gas pedal did not respond and I created a traffic jam because I could only coast into the parking garage. Here are my notes regarding this problem made calls to Toyota corporate totally unresponsive- take it to dealer and leave it there or just consider it reported. There were calls to the dealer and corporate regarding 3 of the incidents. Toyota customer service the car was checked 3 times- once after the first incident and then the dealer brought in a company inspector - each time they found nothing wrong. They told me that the "box" showed 4 incidents. Have no idea what that means Toyota's answer is always the same-- that I am putting my foot on the gas pedal and the brake at the same time!! that is impossible to do unless one uses both feet. (I do not drive with both feet and I cannot put my foot on both pedals even if I wanted to) Toyota has not come up with a solution or acknowledged that there is a problem. I am worried that one day I will need to accelerate to get out of danger and the gas pedal will not respond again. There is something wrong with this car. Toyota does not accept that. They say it is driver error. Yet it's physically impossible for me to duplicate

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 082011

Prius 4-cyl

2010 Toyota Prius-while approaching stop light with brakes slightly engaged, left front tire struck a pot hole approximately 15" in diameter and two pavement layers deep. Vehicle brakes got soft and car accelerated briefly for less than one second. Braking then returned to normal feel and acceleration ceased.

- St Clairsville, OH, USA

Apr 272010

S10 appropriate handling-letter from regarding Toyota problems

- Middleburg Heights, OH, USA

Oct 232009

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius hybrid. The contact was driving 30 mph when he pulled the cruise control lever up to increase the speed, the steering wheel would turn left and when he pulled the lever down to decrease speed, the steering wheel would turn to the right. He took the vehicle to the dealer who advised him to hold the steering wheel tight when increasing or decreasing the cruise control speed and it would not move. The contact was concerned that he had to hold the steering wheel tighter than normal at all times. He called the manufacturer and was instructed to take the vehicle back to the dealer. When he took the vehicle back to the dealer, they informed him that the failure could not be duplicated. The failure mileage was 5. the current mileage was approximately 7,000. Updated 05/24/10 the consumer was told to have a firm grip on the steering wheel when using the cruise control to adjust or set the speed of the vehicle. The consumer stated the steering was affected whenever he adjusted the cruise control lever mechanism. Updated 06/01/10.

- Toluca, IL, USA

Mar 242010

2010 Toyota Prius. Consumer expresses discontent regarding innocent lives lost and regarding Toyota defects.

- Corona Del Mar, CA, USA

Feb 252010

Two occurrences: Sudden loss of acceleration without any warning. First time dealership said it was a loose computer connection which they said they tightened and rebooted computer. Second occurence, they say they don't know what happened and have contacted Toyota headquarters for advice. Still waiting after 6 days. Concerned about this happening on a very busy freeway. We were on a highway that wasn't that busy and we were able to safely pull to the side of the road. Could be disastrous on a busy freeway where everyone is going bumper to bumper at 75 mph!!!

- Post Falls, ID, USA

Mar 202010

True! gear problem! remember airbus flipping our of control when they came out with fly by wire? the joy stick gear is default to shift into neutral when normal push bring it in to reverse. No way to put it in neutral. I thought the same thing & was in denial until I realize that its impossible to put it into neutral when thing is speeding out of control. Don't take it lightly- I did bought a 2010 Prius just now & realize - U can't put it - in neutral. I was in denial. Also, ventilator fan suddenly accelerates when U try to switch the modes.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 032010

Letter from attorney general concerned about the 2010 Toyota Prius anti-lock brake issue the attorney general was very please that NHTSA is investigating the matter. The attorney general requested that NHTSA answer several questions. Updated 03/10/10

- Hartford, CT, USA

Aug 012009

This is the breaking problem I'm having with my 2010 Prius: When I am stepping on the break, and also go over a small bump in the road, the car seems to accelerate for a moment and then goes back to breaking again.

- Newcastle, CA, USA

Feb 022010

Brakes disengage momentarily when braking on a rough or rippled surface. It gives the feeling the vehicle is being accelerated. Uncontrolled travel distance can be lengthly. I have experienced four such instances.

- Easton, PA, USA

Jul 122009

While braking and on uneven sufrace brakes feel like they have sropped working and then later catch, vehicle seems to actually speed up. It occures at lease 1+ a day depending on where I am driving and or weather conditiond. Speed dosn't always matter, as if coming off expressway and braking, speeds can be 55mph and it still happens. Luckily I have not hit any thing yet.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012009

My 2010 Toyota Prius seems to lose braking power whenever I hit a bump or slick patch in the road. Not only do the brakes seem completely disengaged, but the car actually feels like it accelerates forward. I've adapted my driving, but only after I'd ended up in the middle of a couple of intersections because the car shot forward while I was ostensibly braking. Fortunately, I've not yet rear ended anyone.

- New Hope, MN, USA

Sep 302009

I bought a 2010 Prius in August 2009. When I apply the brakes on a bumpy road there is a loss of breaking for a short time. It feels like a surge in acceleration before the brakes work again. I do not know if it is a safety issue but it is very disconcerting.

- Maywood, NJ, USA

Jul 142009

While braking on roadway that has a manhole or a patch in the asphalt that is not exactly level with the rest of the asphalt, the tires feel like there is no traction and the car feels like it is hydroplaning. I have experienced this while driving on two specific roads and now I try to avoid the areas to prevent the feeling of having no control over the car. It feels like the car lurches forward and has no traction. This happens on dry roads. It is very frightening when it happens. I first noticed it when I first purchased the car in July and it has continued to happen.

- Cotati, CA, USA

Jan 152010

I have owned a 2010 Toyota Prius for approximately six months. During that time I have experienced on several occasions (6-8 times) a feeling that the car is actually lurching forward while I am driving at low speeds over rough pavement and applying the brake. In my case the lurching of the car happens only when I am slowing down to make a turn. It is a frightening experience when you're applying pressure to the brake and your car feels as though it is about to take off. The sensation lasts for a second or two nevertheless it's still as I said frightening. When I first mentioned it to my local dealer the response was that it's the ABS brakes and it's normal.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA