2011 Toyota Prius engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Prius:

2011 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Jul 152015

Request help with 2011 Toyota Prius oil consumption, quality, safety, & air pollution issues: I bought the car new. Just after 100,000 miles I noticed it was using oil between oil changes. It has gotten way worse to now at 145,000 miles it used 3 qts in 2000 miles. It does not warn you that the oil level is low until you are 3.5 qts low & a messages says you have low oil pressure. This is unsafe in that the car could go dry on oil and the engine sieze up. There is a tsb on this for other Toyota vehicles, but not yet Prius. I believe Prius needs to be added to the list & I want Toyota to replace my engine or at least the piston rings. So far Toyota is not admitting to oil consumption problems with the Prius. This is also a possible emissions issue. I contacted Toyota's customer experience center in Feb 2016 and they set-up case no. 1602170764 to track my complaint. They referred me to alamo Toyota in san antonio. I do not believe that Toyota is being proactive in addressing this problem. After researching this issue on line, I have found many other Toyota Prius owners with the same problem. The problem does not show up until you are close to the 80,000-100,000 miles point and so for those folks that drive less, the problem may not show up for another couple of years. I thank you in advance for any help that you can provide to me. I spent over $23,000 for this car and hoped it would give me trouble-free transportation for more than 4 years and 100,000 miles.

- Spring Branch, TX, USA

Jul 202016

Prius started consuming oil around the 105,000 mile mark. Two months ago, I took it to the dealer and they had me come back after 1100 miles after my oil change. They said it was consuming oil because the piston rings were leaking. The lady tried to sell me a used engine for 3,000 or 5,000 dollars. I told her that is why I bought Toyota because I didn't want to spend money after 100,000 miles. I have looked online and this practically happening to all the 2010-2011 prii. My buddy owns and Camry and just had his block/piston rings changed for the same problem. This morning, I am a 100 miles from the need of an oil change, and when apply the breaks I get a yellow light coming on saying "not enough oil pressure". I google this and people are saying it is because my oil is low again. I think Toyota is trying to avoid having to recall this.

- Pitman, NJ, USA

Nov 012014

This car consumes oil... it dose not leak the oil and the dealer says that one quart in 1200 miles is normal... this oil is polluting the atmosphere and is expensive. I fi was told that it would consume this much oil at 100K, I would not have purchased the car.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Feb 082016

Found out the violent engine shaking and the mystery loss of coolant without any noticeable leaks is due to a leaking head gasket that his common to many owners. Car now runs rough and mileage is affected. Many other owners reporting the same issue

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Jan 032016

On start up in cold weather, <40*, after several days of not being used, the engine rattles like there's a loose engine mount. It lasts several seconds, then stops. After the engine warms up it's fine. This happened several years ago and I had tsb-0204-11 installed at 38,000 miles (12/18/13) and had no problem the problem reoccurred yesterday, 1/3/16, 76,000 mi, and I'll check with my mechanic for codes.

- Newfields, NH, USA

Sep 012015

Excessive oil consumption. Recently I notice oil pressure low light lights frequently. It used the oil was changed every time the maintenance light come up. About every 5000 miles. Now the low oil pressure comes almost every 1000 miles. The car only has 89K miles.

- Granada Hills, CA, USA

Sep 012015

There are 3 issues I am having with this Prius. The brakes are the first problem. As others have stated, I too have the same lurching forward when braking over bumby or rough roads. This has been ongoing over the last few years. Second, the suspension is creaking and crunching when making turns at low speeds under 20mph. This happens when the wheels are turned all the way right and all the way left. This crunching noise happens when backing out of the driveway, making U-turns, coming to a stop on an incline, and braking over speed bumps. I've had the dealer look at this for the last year when I come in for service and one tech says they can't figure it out, another tech says he hears it but can't find the root of the problem, the service mgr. Also went on a drive with me and reproduces the noise concern but the techs couldn't find it. Most were suggesting new front suspension components-struts, towers, links, etc. I replaced the two front struts and all of the extra components-the noise concern is still there. I am very upset about this. Third issue is the ice-motor. When stopped at a red light and the engine shuts off, the car lurches forward and makes a creaking sound. It's appears that something is not right. The engine seems like it is loose. The engine also makes rattling sound when cruising lightly at 15-25 mph with the accelerator pressed slightly. The sound is coming from the passenger side, under the dashboard-glove compartment area. This is a rattle sound coming from the engine. I've had this looked at as well and the dealer states they cannot duplicate it. I have recorded all sounds related to these concerns and am taking it back to the dealer this month.

- West Hollywood, CA, USA

Jan 302015

Prius 4-cyl

Upon start up in the cold the engine shakes violently for 15 seconds.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Jan 182014

Prius 4-cyl

On Jan. 18th, 2014 I was leaving fl to return to nc, when I started up my Prius and waited for the gas engine to start, it did not want to start. It sounded like a diesel engine, making a loud knocking noise and the whole car shook. I turned the car off and then restarted it a couple of times, but did not experience the issue again. I drove back to nc and did not experience the issue at all. The car was due for maintenance, so B-4 taking it in, I researched the issue online. I found numerous people that have experienced the same problem on the "" web site, there were also links to youtube vids that showed the same problem. I also found that there is a tsb out for this issue, but it only covers certain vins and the dealers usually require that they can duplicate the problem B-4 they will perform the tsb. The repair is to replace the intake manifold, but this does not appear to be resolving the problem. The problem appears to have started with the 2010 model with the 1.8L motor and has yet to be resolved.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 082012

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that she noticed a leak coming from inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the contact was advised that there were spiders in the HVAC drainage hose and the spiders had created a nest egg in the hose, which caused the leak. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised her that the failure was not covered under her warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 20,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Ocean , NJ, USA

Jan 052012

Started car after prolonged period of cold soak (parked for one week outside in temperatures around the freezing mark). Engine exhibited a loud knock/rattle and had a delayed throttle response as I was pulling out onto the street. Had to shut engine down (with vehicle located in street, safety concern) to stop loud knock and re-start engine. Rattle/knock had disappeared. Toyota dealership when presented with issue and Toyota issued tsb (T-sb 0012-10) on this very issue declined to perform necessary work since they were not able to "recreate" the issue. I explained that this only happened once and to replicate they would need to park it in the same conditions for a week. I cannot leave my car with them for this long and therefore this is an unreasonable request. Multiple owners have experienced this problem (as a quick search on youtube will confirm) yet Toyota is denying to fix this.

- Lambertville, NJ, USA