2012 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Prius:

2012 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Nov 232016

Prius

Since 2014 I have had to replace the drivers side bright and dim headlights about every 4-6 months and on the passenger side about every 8 - 10 months. Is there a recall with a problem with the headlights? I got a warning ticket this morning and drive to work in the dark and home in the dark. My round trip is 140/miles daily. The vehicle has been in motion each time they have gone out. I had the casing checked to make sure it wasn't a problem with vibration and that was fine. I no longer go to the Toyota dealerships because they are so expensive, but have a small shop change. I am picking up headlights from helena Ford/Toyota on my way home so they can pop them in when I get to three forks, mt.

- Three Forks, MT, USA

Jun 062016

Prius

My Toyota Prius 2012 headlights are repeatedly burning out. Last bulbs lasted 3 days. I've blown over $200 on different bulbs. I drive for a living. This is murdering my business.

- Oakdale, PA, USA

Jul 072015

Prius

I have to replace both low beam head lamps approximately every three weeks. I have bought and replaced 5 sets since owning the car in June 2015. I currently have 40,000 miles on the car.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Mar 012013

Prius 4-cyl

Low beam headlights keep going out. Passenger side has been replaced many times. Moisture is visible in light assembly.

- Lyons, GA, USA

Aug 012014

Prius 4-cyl

Vehicle passenger side hid headlight went out. Vehicle is less than 2 years old with 40,000 miles.

- Bernville, PA, USA

Mar 082014

Prius 4-cyl

When the headlights are on, the speedometer does not display when the dashboard lights are dimmed. All other displays dim, but the speed of the car is no longer displayed.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 122013

Prius

My 2012 Prius was hit in back on passenger side at approximately 80-85 miles/hour while my speed was 62 M/H. with impact from hit in the back, my car went flying head on into the median wall (those temporary cement walls used during reconstruction). Two things happened were: 1. after the first impact my Prius had total power loss, not even emergency flasher light would turn on; 2. non of airbags deployed. I am wondering if all this is normal for this car or there is some sort of malfunction or manufacturing defect?

- Stockton, CA, USA

Nov 192012

Prius 4-cyl

I have noticed ghosting of images most obvious while night driving. Particularly noticeable in led lights. It looks like a duplicate image of the lights created. It can be very glaring and hard to judge distance of other vehicles.

- Nottingham, MD, USA

Mar 292013

Prius 4-cyl

There is a tripling of light sources through the front windshield from things such as oncoming vehicles headlights, vehicle taillights, emergency vehicle lights, street lights, intersection stop/yield lights and any other strong light source. The issue is apparent at all times however the issue is significantly acute in the evening hours as there are more light sources during the dark.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Jan 012013

Prius 4-cyl

When driving at night I have an issue where the light source from headlights have a rainbow affect. Also tail lights are seen three times for every one light. Ie. center brake light is illuminated on vehicle in front of me, there is a replicated light above and below the actual light. This is also an issue with traffic lights as there are 3 distinct lights for every one light. This may also be referred to ghosting.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 292012

Prius 4-cyl

While driving at night, all lights, especially red in color, which are viewed from front windshield, appear as three distinct images. The source light, then a distinct shadowed light above and below the source. This safety issue is extremely compounded when driving at night in high traffic situations where there are hundrends of tailights in front of me. All those lights are essentially trippled causing confusion and distraction. Toyota refuses to aknowlege the issue. Through research, I have found that this is a common issue with many frustrated owners just living with it because Toyota wont fix it. It is a huge safety issue. Please help make Toyota rectify this huge safety issue before it causes preventable accidents!!

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA