2014 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Prius:

2014 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Feb 232016

When the headlights - not drl - are on and the dash lights are on low the instrument panel lights go dark while crossing under shadows (bridges, trees, etc.) in daylight and at night when going from bright lights on highway exchanges back to dark. Toyota dealership was able to reproduce the day-to-shadow problem in the shop (shop manager) the service manager was able to reproduce the day-to-shadow problem on a 2065 Prius V. I was told that this must normal for newer priuses as no one else has complained about it. It can also appear to happen during daylight hours when wearing polarized sunglasses. The dash lights are on high, the headlights are on: Driving under the underpass the panel light lowers so much they appear to go out. The car is a new-used car. The problem did not appear during test-drives, all taken in bright Texas sun. The first time this occurred was on a sunny morning while driving through a park. As I went from bright light to shade the dash lights would go dark. It frightened me, but I forgot about it, until I was driving on I-35 in rush hour traffic at 4pm on a sunny day: The interstate in downtown has upper and lower levels; while on the lower-level the instrument panel would go dark, then light as the shadows were exacerbated by those cast by tall buildings near the interstate. It occurred most recently after leaving the dealer yesterday. Driving on I-410 in san antonio on an overcast day, everytime I drove under an overpass, the dash, radio, climate lights all went out. At night, it occurred when traveling on us-281 near lockhart, tx: Once I was under full-light, the dash lights, etc. Went out until I had been driving in the dark for about 10-20 seconds.

- King George, VA, USA