2012 Toyota Prius v drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Prius v:

2012 Toyota Prius v Owner Comments

Dec 052014

Prius v

I owned this vehicle since brand new. It had happened more than a dozen times. When going over bumps or uneven surfaces, with the same pressure applied to the break, the 2012 privus failed to stop and lurched several feet before stopping. We had an incident that we almost ran into pedestrian yesterday when this issue occurs. This is very concerned to my family. We bought this vehical back to the dealer ship where we purchsed it.(expressway dorchester Toyota in masschusettes) they said they could not fix it because they could not reproduced at the dealship. The service of manager claimed this is working as designed from the (tracking control). I feel this is a false statement, this does not happened to my other cars that has traction control. Toyota should really starting fixing it before someone gets killed!

- Quincy, MA, USA

Jun 012013

Prius v 4-cyl

At least 2 or 3 times a week, when shifting the car into drive when the car is stopped, the car goes into reverse instead. The first few times I thought I had made a rushed error, so I started watching quite carefully. You can even be backing up and then brake and shift the car specifically into drive and it stays in reverse. It might take 3 or 4 attempts to get it into drive. I have realized this must be why they installed the beeping in the system to alert you that the car is in reverse, it must be a more pervasive problem than simply in my car. I always visually confirm my motions now, and 2 or 3 times a week I will enter the car and put it in drive and it goes into reverse instead. This is an accident waiting to happen.

- Pebble Beach, CA, USA

Jul 252013

Prius v 4-cyl

The car was parked on a steep incline while I closed a gate behind me to a gated driveway. When I got back in the car and put the car in drive, I took my foot off of the brake and before I could get it to the gas pedal the car immediately rolled back and into the gate. The car released as if it was a standard shift car that needed a clutch and slammed into the gate. I have taken the car to other safe spots that are on hills and found that this car can not hold a stopped position on an incline.

- Pebble Beach, CA, USA