2012 Toyota Prius v engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Prius v:

2012 Toyota Prius v Owner Comments

Jun 012013

Prius v 4-cyl

At least 2 or 3 times a week, when shifting the car into drive when the car is stopped, the car goes into reverse instead. The first few times I thought I had made a rushed error, so I started watching quite carefully. You can even be backing up and then brake and shift the car specifically into drive and it stays in reverse. It might take 3 or 4 attempts to get it into drive. I have realized this must be why they installed the beeping in the system to alert you that the car is in reverse, it must be a more pervasive problem than simply in my car. I always visually confirm my motions now, and 2 or 3 times a week I will enter the car and put it in drive and it goes into reverse instead. This is an accident waiting to happen.

- Pebble Beach, CA, USA

Apr 252013

Prius v

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota prius. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact mention the vehicle had to be given a jump start in order to start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 17,500. The VIN was not available.

- El Centro, CA, USA

Dec 022011

Prius v 4-cyl

My car has an issue I first noticed soon after I bought it, and that now happens at least twice a week. The date I've entered is the approximate first date I noticed the problem occur. I describe below a more recent instance of the same behavior, the time when it felt the least safe. /// the recurring behavior is that while decelerating with my foot on the brake pedal, if the car goes over an obstruction like a rock, a rough patch of road, or a pothole, it sometimes lurches forward before resuming deceleration. The sensation is of accelerating, but even if it's only that the car momentarily stops decelerating it's disconcerting and in a few instances has gotten me close to an accident. /// the time it came closest to causing an accident was on 3/21/13, when I feared the car was going to roll into a crosswalk as people crossed. With my foot on the brake, coming to a stop at a stop sign, we went over uneven pavement and the car lurched forward while only a few feet from the crosswalk. Several people waited close to the edge of the sidewalk at a bus stop. One of them seemed ready to step out to cross the street, and I braced for the worst. /// ultimately I stopped a few feet before the crosswalk, but the situation felt completely unsafe since it involved losing stopping power while coming to a stop sign with pedestrians present.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 152013

Prius v 4-cyl

My 2012 Prius V has several unresolved problems. On those occasions when the gas engine cranks the car, there is a loud engine rattler. The engine sounds as if there isn't any oil. Turning off the engine and re-crank does not always fix the problem. The front passenger seat sometimes rattle. Two different Toyota service departments are unable to determine and fix the problem. One of the shops replaced one of fifty button like leather seat fasteners. This seemed to resolve the problem. Two weeks later the problem started again. Now, I suspect the front passenger door speaker is the problem. Occasionally, the rear driver window squeaks. These problems have been reported to service shops but they want to keep the car over night. I did not buy a new car for over night sleepovers at the dealer. Finally, two weeks ago a rock hit my windshield. Five days later the windshield crack grew from a tiny ding to 15 inches. I have owned thirteen new cars in this life time. I have suffered windshield cracks but none of them suggested that the glass was too thin. This is my first Toyota.

- Cairo, GA, USA