2012 Toyota Prius v engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Prius v:

2012 Toyota Prius v Owner Comments

May 192014

Prius v 4-cyl

When the vehicle hits a bump, rock or uneven road while decelerating, the vehicle suddenly accelerates. It feels like when you skip a step. I have had the vehicle since December 2012 and this has happened enough times that I do not think its fortuitous. The sudden acceleration makes the car travel a couple of feet. Updated 12/5/2014

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Dec 192013

Prius v 4-cyl

I bought Prius V in February 2012. I've noticed few times issues with brakes. While decelerating with my foot on the brake pedal to slow the car to a stop and if the car goes over a pothole or slight bump on the road then car accelerates forward before coming to a stop. This is safety hazard since it almost led to hitting the other car's rear bumper. Also, I've gotten into an accident in December 2013 where there was another brake issue. I stopped my car in the incline road by putting my foot on the brake pedal. Then, I changed the gear shift to rear and slowly took my foot off the brake pedal so that I can back into the street parking which was only about 4 to 5 feet away. Suddenly, car sped down the road going rear direction to the directly opposite street and hit two parked cars. I had put the foot down on the brake pedal when I noticed the car going rear fast but it would not stop the car from going down the road. I had no control over the car or the speed. This is major safety hazard since someone could have been seriously injured with losing control of the brake and acceleration. I've owned other Toyota car (Camry) before but never had this issue until this Prius V. my car has been in body shop for over a month with repairs. I plan to take the car to the Toyota dealer to check out this brake issue.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jul 252013

Prius v 4-cyl

The car was parked on a steep incline while I closed a gate behind me to a gated driveway. When I got back in the car and put the car in drive, I took my foot off of the brake and before I could get it to the gas pedal the car immediately rolled back and into the gate. The car released as if it was a standard shift car that needed a clutch and slammed into the gate. I have taken the car to other safe spots that are on hills and found that this car can not hold a stopped position on an incline.

- Pebble Beach, CA, USA

Oct 262013

Prius v 4-cyl

Driver was making a sharp left turn into a parking space at low speed and attempted to brake to a stop. The vehicle did not slow down at all despite hard pressure on brake pedal but instead accelerated, jumped a curb in front of the vehicle and hit a wall which stopped the car. No one was injured but front bumper badly gouged and front door slightly dented. Driver was able to put the car in reverse and get off the sidewalk. Vehicle is now at Toyota dealer for inspection. Upon reflection 2 other incidents occurred where what felt like a momentary speedup occurred again at low speed while turning and braking. But these 2 were while moving forward and not attempting to bring the vehicle to a complete stop.

- Elmsford, NY, USA

Feb 062013

Prius v 4-cyl

From a standstill, under light winter conditions, there have many times when the vehicle will not/can not move. When the accelerator is depressed power is sent for a fraction second (very quick pulse) and then all power is cut off and nothing further happens until you lift off accelerator and try again. It does the same thing in reverse. The only way out of this cycle is to physically push the car to get it moving(slow walking pace) and then the traction control behaves very much like our 2012 Camry SE V6. A couple times we had our Camry right next to the prius(side by side) and the Camry was able to get itself moving(with tc on) and prius would not budge. Both have the factory tires, the prius tires are in better shape than the Camry. I know the two vehicles are vastly different and that this comparison may be of little help; I simply want to express that the conditions the prius will not function under should not be thought of as extreme, but rather ordinary winter conditions. It seems that the prius traction control parameters do not even give the car the chance to get moving before shutting the system down.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 022011

Prius v 4-cyl

My car has an issue I first noticed soon after I bought it, and that now happens at least twice a week. The date I've entered is the approximate first date I noticed the problem occur. I describe below a more recent instance of the same behavior, the time when it felt the least safe. /// the recurring behavior is that while decelerating with my foot on the brake pedal, if the car goes over an obstruction like a rock, a rough patch of road, or a pothole, it sometimes lurches forward before resuming deceleration. The sensation is of accelerating, but even if it's only that the car momentarily stops decelerating it's disconcerting and in a few instances has gotten me close to an accident. /// the time it came closest to causing an accident was on 3/21/13, when I feared the car was going to roll into a crosswalk as people crossed. With my foot on the brake, coming to a stop at a stop sign, we went over uneven pavement and the car lurched forward while only a few feet from the crosswalk. Several people waited close to the edge of the sidewalk at a bus stop. One of them seemed ready to step out to cross the street, and I braced for the worst. /// ultimately I stopped a few feet before the crosswalk, but the situation felt completely unsafe since it involved losing stopping power while coming to a stop sign with pedestrians present.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 012013

Prius v

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Prius V. the contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph and decelerating, the vehicle erroneously accelerated after hitting a bump in the road. The contact crashed into the preceding vehicle. There were no injuries associated with the crash. The police were not contacted. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 9,700. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA