9.3

$1,300.00

2. remove vsc/antilock brake fuse (1 reports)
2001 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Sequoia:

2001 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments

Jul 052016

Sequoia Limited V8

I too had this very scary situation for months and months and was afraid to drive my suv. The last time it happened was on July 5th, 2016 on the way home from a camping trip.

I spoke with someone who is a mechanic and they told me to take out or disable the VSC/Anti lock brake fuse and since I did that I have not had the problem, however the VSC, anti-lock brakes and brake light on dash are constantly on, but there is no loud alarm, grinding noise and pulling of the car to the right. It is a backwoods approach to a problem that Toyota should have recalled long ago.

- , Folsom, CA, USA

Apr 072016

Sequoia Limited V8

Just driving along, and feels like brakes grab - - jerk the wheel and VSC Trac lights go on. Problem has been occurring intermittently for months. Can be at highway speeds, but also happens at any speed. Very dangerous and scary.

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Jan 012016

Sequoia LX 5

I just bought tis truck and I figured since it is a Toyota it would be a great truck, and it is. EXCEPT for this problem that seems to be a common issue. The truck will suddenly apply the brakes sharply and swerve to the right and the warning lights will come on and a buzzer sounds. I am pissed and amazed that Toyota is ignoring this really dangerous problem. My dealership wants $180 just to look at my truck. With this common problem so rampant, Toyota should have a recall

- , Cupertino, CA, USA

Sep 182015

Sequoia SR5 4.7L

While driving, if the trac control is switched on or off this suv will clamp down on the right front brake, skid the tire, swerve the vehicle, 2 trac lights come on and it gives off a warning beep for about 5 seconds scaring the hell out of me, the cars next to me, and my family! Just started 2 weeks ago. Happens every time I drive It now! Once the event happens and the lights stay on it wont happen again until I re-start the vehicle.Have not been to the dealer. Saw the costs online! NO RECALL ?

- , Maricopa, AZ, USA

Oct 152015

Sequoia Limited 8 cyl

I really love this SUV. But I have a Grandson in the car with me about all the time and when the vsc kicks in for no reason at all it about takes the control of the vehicle from me...it makes a grinding noise like it's tearing something apart then after a few minutes it stops..I think Toyota should fix this problem with a recall ..

I've read where newer models are doing this as well...

- , Bristol, TN, USA

Dec 152013

Sequoia Limited V8

I am the original owner of my 2001 Toyota Sequoia LTD and have had on and off brake problems, but at the end of last year everything changed.

While driving at various speeds my VSC lights come on and my vehicle jerks to the right for absolutely no reason and no warning. This is TERRIFYING. I cannot believe Toyota has never issued a recall on this major problem and shame on them. If someone gets killed over this I hope they are put out of business. Reading other comments similar to mine it is obvious to me they have been aware of this problem. Why would Toyota choose to go down the path of GM ? Fix it !!

My wife and I both have Toyotas, her's is a Four Runner. If Toyota doesn't do the right thing and issue a recall to fix this huge and very scary problem we will never purchase a Toyota again.

James L Porter

- , Austin, TX, USA

Sep 072014

Sequoia SR5 V8

Like Rachael B. said - This is very very scary!!

I am the original owner to a 2001 Toyota/Sequoia, this has been a great great vehicle until now!! This now has happened to me on 3 separate occasions within the last 3 days (so basically once every day now). Luckily it's been in a neighborhood setting so I wasn't going fast and nobody was around. The car feels like it's trying to slip and the lights (VCS Trac, car skid symbols and alarm sounds) all start flashing/blinking like crazy. Then the grinding metal to metal starts and it won't let you use the brakes or steering (feels like it's pulling to the right) and you have no control. You have to just basically let it roll on its own until it all stops (about 30 or more seconds); which feels like longer when it's actually happening and super scary because you feel like you're going to hit something/someone. I just let it pull me to the side, take a breather and say a prayer and continue on home.

I've had this car (our first Toyota) for a very long time now and this is the first time I am NOW questioning the SAFETY of this vehicle. I don't want to pay for this repair and feel that Toyota needs to have a recall on this before it KILLS (if it hasn't already). Toyota needs to RECOGNIZE this problem and remedy it!!! If something should happen to me and my family I am holding TOYOTA RESPONSIBLE AND WILL TAKE OUT A LAW SUIT!! Not happy and disappointed to say the least...

- , Frisco, TX, USA

Jun 142014

Sequoia SR5 V8

I would first like to start out by saying that this incident was extremely scary. So, with that said, the husband and I are driving home from work. We are about 3 miles from the house when the first episode occurred. We were driving down the hwy at about 55 mph (maybe a little less) when all of the sudden the VSC Trac system light (car with skid lines) starts blinking wildly and an alarm sounds frantically. The car jerks, power is lost like the trans is slipping, and I lost control of steering as well as braking. When I tried to apply the brakes ( very lightly I might add) it felt like metal on metal grinding accompanied by jerking, shuddering, and a strange clicking noise to the right of the steering column. I pulled off to the side of the road, and sat for a minute. The lights went off, and the alarm stopped. We got back onto the road, and at about 25 mph the same thing happened again. We pulled into a neighborhood, and shut the car off completely.

After a few minutes, we decided to try getting home since it wasn't very far. I started the car back up, and got home without incident. Thankfully. I (we) am very concerned this could potentially cause a fatal accident, not just with our vehicle, but anyone driving a Sequoia with this problem. We have kids, and I do not feel safe AT ALL putting them in it for any distance. I must stress that when this happens, you lose all control of your vehicle for at least 30 seconds if not longer. I also have to say that this is out first Toyota, and this is the first time EVER that I have ever experienced something like this with any vehicle. Scary and dangerous!

- , Covington, GA, USA

Jul 052011

Sequoia Limited 4.7L

I bought this Toyota on there good rep. But I had problems right away, should have took it back to where I bought it and parked where the sun doesn't shine. Anyway after front springs bent, rotting muffler, leaking exhaust main, rebuilt new diff, bad front end vibrations at 30 to 40 mph, new front axles, shocks all the way around, new rims and tires, not to mention all the other parts. After all that the ATRAC Vsc is the biggest piece of Crap not to mention almost gets you killed when you pull out in traffic because it thinks its losing traction, shuts the motor down momentarily. This needs to bee reprogrammed. I went to Toyota and no help. It cost me 4hrs and all they would say that it did the same thing on their mechanic but there is no fix. They said call Toyota and complain. This is how they handle a very bad problem. Toyota is to worried about losing face. They should hope someone doesn't lose their life over faulty ATRAC Vsc systems.

- , Bellevue, WA, USA

Mar 262011

Sequoia Limited 4.7L V8

The first symptoms occurred when I noticed my engine would stumble and lose power momentarily when I would go off-roading or hit a pot-hole in the road....Then one day I was driving STRAIGHT approximately 40 miles per hour on a dry and traffic free roadway when all of a sudden the dashboard lit up and a beeping sound went off....The VSC, VSC TRAK, ABS and this Icon of a vehicle with two squiggly lines lit up on the dashboard....The Sequoia then started pulling hard to the right and I had to fight to keep the vehicle from veering to the right and hitting the curb!!!...A load groaning and crunching noise could also could be heard and felt through the brake pedal... The pedal also starting pulsating and I had to push hard on the brake pedal to stop my vehicle to the side of the roadway...It was a horrifying feeling that I did not have full control over my Sequoia...After I stopped my Sequoia the warning lights went off and beeping noise stopped...My Sequoia seemed to have reset itself and was back to normal....I took the vehicle to my Toyota dealer and they found nothing wrong with the vehicle...Well, it happened a couple more times and I checked the Web and I found that many other Toyota Sequoia owners have had the same problem!!!!....I took it back to Toyota and they said, that it was a pitch/yaw sensor problem and they replaced and re-calibrated the vehicles pitch/yaw sensor...Well' that was the problem and the Sequoia ran perfect like a Toyota should but 2 years later it started doing it again...The pitch/yaw sensor fix cost just under $1000 !!!!!!....Well' I cant afford another $1000 so, I was told by a Toyota mechanic to temporarily pull out my ABS fuse until I could afford to get it fixed...I just pulled out my ABS fuse and now my Sequoia does not do it anymore...I don't have ABS or VSC but I have had no further problems with my Sequoia almost causing me to crash into the curb or thank goodness into any other vehicles was next to me or someone walking on the sidewalk when this dangerous condition occurred...

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 022010

Sequoia SUV V8

The vsc traction control system engages in the middle of driving. The car shakes profusely, loud beeping noise, jerks and acts as though it"s not going to stop. I brought it to Toyota last week they replace front brake pads, resurface the rotors, balance and rotated the tires. But that didn't solve the problem it happen again over the weekend, This is a horrible experience I was on the freeway when the vsc traction control system engages in the middle of driving, the car shakes profusly, loud beeping noise, jerks and acts as though it"s not going to stop . I am worried for me and my family's safety. Please advice!!

- , Miramar, FL, USA

Oct 282009

Sequoia V8

I was on my way to an important Court Hearing and had to be there at 9 a.m. The traction light came on and the brakes just totally failed. I had just put on new pads less than 15,000 and all of them were disintegrated. Toyota are liars. They are killing people - no doubt. At this time I didn't realize it was an ongoing problem - I had been experiencing O2 sensor problems for the 2 years up until this point but first time with traction control. I just paid the 1600 dollars to fix all the brakes (and I got a great deal for the product I received) and low and behold 12,000 miles later the same thing happens! Shame on those liars at Toyota!! Something bad should happen to them for what they are doing to people intentionally when they know that there are problems. One guy tried to tell me today they had an independent study done on the brake problems for the carpets and that it never was a problem. Yeah, I don't know what he's smoking but I hope he's not smoking it on the road!

- , Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Oct 022009

Sequoia V8

I was driving down Laguna Canyon in California at 65 m.p.h. taking my 8-year-old daughter to school. The car starting to grab and swerve back and forth as the light for the traction control came on first. I am sure that this ruined my brakes. They broke and Toyota wants to say because I had brakes from somebody else that were top of the line (better than stock Toyota) tough luck. Then they told me there are no complaints about this happening to 2001 Sequoias. I thought I check and low and behold - this is just the first sight of many I saw. They wanted to charge me $1500 plus tax for every piece of my back brakes and $400 for two O2 senors that I have continually bought since 2007. This is the second time my brakes have broke or disintegrated from this happening.

- , Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Apr 052010

Sequoia V8

The vsc traction control system engages in the middle of driving. The car shakes profusly, loud beeping noise, jerks and acts as though it"s not going to stop. The is a horrible experience. I am worried for me and my family's safety. There have been many other complaints online from consumers concerning the 2001 Toyota sequoia VSC traction control system. Toyota refuses to acknowledge the problem because the 2001 Toy Sequoia hasn"t been included in the recall. The 2003 toy Seq has no fix to the problem. I have taken the car to the dealership 4 times. The first three times they said that there is no problem with it. The fourth time, they came up with a 1,000 fix that they say may work.

- , Augusta, GA, USA

May 152004

Sequoia SR5 V8

The traction control will engage the brake at any time even doing 70mph on the interstate causing the car to jerk to the right. This is on dry pavement going straight (no reason for the VSC to take over. It makes a grinding noise with the brake and has almost destroyed my right front rotor beyond repair. I have seen other complaints about this and hope more people complain to force Toyota to do a recall.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA