2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Aug 042016

When accelerating from stationary during dry conditions, the vcs light turns on and starts beeping while the anti-lock brakes engage suddenly with power loss and significant front end vibration. There is a loss of steering control and much slower braking which is dangerous and almost caused an accident. When the vehicle finally comes to a stop, the "vsc trac" and "trac off" lights come on and stay on and the car drives fine from that point on until turned off. When the "trac off" and "vcs trac" lights stay on after starting the car, the problem does not present itself. However, if those lights are not on when putting the car into drive, the problem will happen within the first mile. The code reader does not show a specific cause so officially unknown, however, the situation sounds exactly like that of other 2002 and later sequioas that were recalled for this problem. Our 2002 was not included in the recall as it was manufactured prior to the recall date but appears that it should have been.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 232016

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While attempting to accelerate from a stop, the stability light flashed on the instrument panel and the vehicle accelerated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that the yaw-rate sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in a recall. The failure mileage was 191,000.

- Easley, SC, USA

May 062016

Trac off-road lights, trac vsc light, beeping, pulled right and decelerate on interstate. Fornunately, in the right lane otherwise do would have caused a major accident. Speed approximately 70 mph

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Aug 252016

Whether driving on residential streets or on the freeway, I have experienced unexpected pulls (jerking) on my steering wheel and would hear grinding noise where I can feel my car shaking (as if I was dragging a metal scraping the road as I am driving). This will happen for a few seconds (to as long as almost a minute, until I pulled over and turned off my engine in one case where I was driving on the freeway). Every time this occurs, the vsc light comes on and remains on for quite some time. When I first started experiencing this, a little over a year ago, I brought my car into the Toyota dealership and was told there are no recalls or known issues. It would continue to happen periodically and since it wasn't happening all the time, the dealership would always say there's nothing wrong with my car, whenever I brought it in, because they can't re-create the issue. Lately, it's been happening almost on a daily basis (sometimes 2-3 times a day). Just yesterday, while I was making a U-turn, the vsc came on and locked my steering wheel to the point where it slowed my acceleration for several seconds after the turn. Then, while driving home from work on the freeway (straight, flat surface) going 65 mph, it happened again: My steering wheel jerked to 1 side, the grinding noise was heard and the vsc light came on. And later, while driving 25 mph on residential street (also straight and flat surface) it happened again. Today, I went online and typed in my VIN# and sure enough, it says there are no recalls, however, there's multiple forums and complaints of this issue. There is definitely something wrong, especially if multiple owners are experiencing the same thing. This is definitely a hazard & safety issue because it happens unexpectedly. Friends, family and co-workers who have rode in my car all witnessed and experienced it. Please advise me on a resolution.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 182016

2002 Sequoia purchased used, vsc trac desengages without warning at any time, slowing down the vehicle and making grinding noice in the suspension or breaks, it will reset again after park and shutting the engine off, this problem had happen at least 3 times in about one monthsince this has happened, the warning lights no longer shut off after turning key off, vsc light; trac off dashboard lights stat on. Can the vsc/trac disengaged be due to a faulty sensor: Can't this just stay turned off since there is a vsc trac button in truck to turn it off?

- Century, FL, USA

Aug 182016

While driving my 2002 sequioa at any speed above 20mph, the vehicle makes a terrifying grinding noise, while the skid icon beeps and the trac & vsc lights come on. The steering & braking becomes difficult and the car veers to the right. Its happened several times over the years and I recently learned of this forum. If I start the truck and let it run while I finish getting dressed, the lights will sometimes be on before I start driving and the problem doesn't occur but that could take up to an hour to occur, so I've learned to only drive it when the lights are on on the dash. Been to dealership who only reminds me that there are no recalls on my truck. One dealerships concern was only to sell me another vehicle while reminding me how expensive the issue was to fix, quoting me a repair cost of approximately $3000. I've had the truck since 2003 and it has only 116K miles, partly because I'm scared to either crash and hurt my family or kill someone else's family. I worked hard to pay for this vehicle and would like to keep it but I'm terrified to drive it. Living in Louisiana where hurricane evacuations are common, I need my truck and I cant believe that a reputable company like Toyota wont address the problem. Im a Toyota fan & this is my 3rd Toyota but I think I wont be buying another one.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 022016

2002 Sequoia purchased used, vsc trac desengages without warning at any time, slowing down the vehicle and making grinding noice in the suspension or breaks, it will reset again after park and shutting the engine off, this problem had happen at least 10 times in about one year that I am driving it, due to the unexpected desengage of the vsc trac at any time slowing down the vehicle with out warning and no break light it is a safety concern, I have look in the internet and this problem is very common with this vehicles equiped with the vsc trac, I have called Toyota and there is no recalls for the issue, I believe it it is a malfunction of the system it should be take care unless they are waiting for something drastic to happen, hope I can get some where with this complaint, this is a second Toyota at home and I like to keep both cars for as long as I can. This particular problem does happen at any time in the street at 20 miles higway at 50 some times at 60 miles, during straight ride or turning left or right, please advise I should not have to incurre expences on a factory defective issue.

- Miami Lakes, FL, USA

Aug 052016

Just bought this used vehicle couple weeks discover that vsc and trac off lights comes go on when driving on surface roads at normal speed. This happens more frequent during a turn either left or right. When that occurs, hear loud grinding noise. This conditions are making the vehicle unsafe to drive. Please address this problem asap before someone gets hurt.

- Molena, GA, USA

Jul 212016

Vsc and trac off lights go on and a horrible grinding noise pulls the car to the right. Not safe my wife and children. Please help.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Jul 172014

When driving down the highway the traction control automatically just come on the whole steering wheel vibrate will be like you're putting on the brakes real fast until the traction control light comes on then everything will stop. This is happened several times dry roads.

- Murchison, TX, USA

Jun 242016

The ABS for the passenger front tire kicks in while driving. You can feel the ABS pump the brake & the vehicle pulls to the right for a few seconds. Then the vsc & traction control lights come on. Twice I've had it diagnosed as a faulty yaw control sensor. It seems to happen more often while towing a trailer. This normally happens while on the highway at a steady speed.

- Independence, KY, USA

Jun 282016

"takata recall", a month ago the vsc/trac light came up. After opening and closing the gas cap, it went away. Then came the grinding sound at the passenger side of the vehicle when slowing down to make a turn and also, a flapping sound (like a flat tire) when moving on the highway.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Aug 212014

No matter what speed, the vsc alarm goes off, the car brakes violently and pulls to the right, and makes a horrible grinding sound. Then the vsc light stays on until the car is turned off and reset. Under warranty, I went to gilroytoyota in 2014 to get this fixed. They told me it was the yaw rate sensor, however that isn't covered in the warranty. It would cost around $800-$1000 to replace. They did replace the brake booster assembly, and that worked for about 6 months until the vsc light came back on and the car pulled and braked again. Very very dangerous when driving on the freeway when this happens, and the alarm goes off and the car brakes and pulls, could result in accident. Makes a horrible grinding noise as well that I can feel in the brake pedal when this happens. The car is always in motion when this happens, always on asphalt, not on dirt or in 4 wheel drive. (I don't use the 4 wheel drive) happens at any speed, either turning or going straight.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Driving at 25 mph vehicle front end started vibrating violently. Thought transmission or cvs joints had disintegrated. Vsc lights lit up pulled over.found nothing wrong" has done numerous times during last year. Started in July 2015 intermittently and currently happens daily. At 65 mph' SUV front end slipped'. also pulls to right. Scary what if on road curving left. People could possibly go off road and be killed and list it as 'driver fell asleep'. read on Toyota forum website, 2003 were recalled. Why not 2002????" people have taken 2002 Sequoia to dealer and delear changed out sensor and computer chip and owners still experienced problem.

- Denair, CA, USA

May 252016

Vse/trac light and trac off light comes on, beeping sound. Traveling at 70 mph or 65 mph vehicle veers left and steering becomes difficult. Just this happened three times within 24 hours on interstate driving. This is the same problem discussed in a recall of the 2003 through 2005 models. Many problems of the same nature are reported on internet forums for the 2000 T-model. This is very dangerous. It happens when the road conditions are dry and no hazardous conditions.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

May 212016

Vsc trac and vsc off lights illuminated on dash while vehicle was in motion at 70 mph. Lf wheel briefly pulsed brakes for no reason. Lights stayed on after turning car off and re-starting. There are numerous online complaints about problems in Toyota Tundra/Sequoia vsc computers causing this issue. 126K miles on vehicle.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

May 132016

While driving, without notice, vsc and trac lights, grinding noise and vibrations, deceleration, and pull to the right.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Apr 282016

While driving on the freeway at 70 mph the stability like blinks and beeps then the vsc trac/vsc off light come on. There is no control of brakes or gas. Feel grinding in front of car. After managing to stop everything reset. Has happened several times with no warning or reason as to why. Have appointment with dealership to have fixed. But seems this is a common problem and very unsafe as to no warning and no control of the car when it does happen at any speed. The same problem in the 2003 model has been recalled. Is it going to take an accident or death before this is investigated?

- Richmond, TX, USA

Jun 012012

Normally happens at low speed while accelerating. The skidding car symbol flashes, a warning beeper beeps several times, there is a noticeable swerve to the right accompanied by a grinding noise. The, trac off and the vsc off, lights come on and I am able to continue merrily on my way unannoyed, there is no apparent reduction in braking ability or steering control. I just have the "idiot" lights on the dash until I turn off the ignition. When I next drive the vehicle I am very wary until it happens again, maybe immediately, or 10 to 20 miles. But it always happens. The dealer says a new yaw rate sensor and vsc ECU will fix it. About $1800 above the $105 already paid for the diagnostic fee. What really gets my "goat" is: There is a recall for the "early" 2003 models for this same problem.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Feb 122016

Vsc/trac indicator warning light comes and goes

- Roseville, CA, USA