2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Nov 142016

Sequoia

I purchased my Sequoia in 2003 and the trac off/vsc trac lights started turning on a few months after purchase. I have told the dealer every time I bring the car for service and have always been told that they cannot find a problem. Once I turn off car the lights go off. Well, on July 2015 while traveling on a windy road at 35 mph, we heard an warning alarm sound for the first time and the steering locked for about two seconds and the car felt like we had a flat tire or dragging something underneath. After about 10 seconds the car resumed back to normal as if nothing had happened. About two weeks later, I was backing out of a parking stall and it did the exact thing, including steering wheel locking. I thought I had raned over something, but the car went back to normal. Now every two weeks after I get on the freeway this seems to happen, one time it sounded like my engine fell off. Sometimes is worse than others and it doesn't matter if I'm going 25 or 65 mph. A few months ago I was traveling at 65 and the alarm came on, the grinding and dragging noise and my car started slowing down and swirved to the right. I just barely missed a motorcyclist. Lucky no one was behind me or I would have been rear ended. I purchased Toyota for their safety and quality reputation. I take good care of my car and safety of my family is my priority. As I stated before, I have been complaining about this issue to my Toyota dealer for years and they tell me there is no problem with my car. Now my problem is much bigger than just a light turning on. This should be a major concern and we should not wait for a loss of life to happen. Any car that loses power in the middle of a freeway without warning should be of grave concern to all. I love my car but cannot afford to trade it in.

- Downey, CA, USA

Nov 072016

Sequoia

When making left turns the vehicle skid control vsc/trac is being activated, the brake's control is being taken over by the vsc/trac computer, and the car won't slow down, until the vsc/trac turns off. The vsc/trac light is turned on, and grinding noise is being heard when it happens.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 272016

Sequoia

Complaint - electronic stability control, steering, vehicle speed control while driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia while turning on city street & highway I encountered two significant safety issues the traction control system comes on while driving at various speeds, the vsc and traction warning lights ABS & engine lights are illuminated as the vehicle pulled to the left/right. When the issue occurred, the vehicle makes a grinding sound and pulls very hard to the left/right. The vehicle loses acceleration and feels like the anti-lock braking mechanism is being engaged. The jerking pull resulted in crossing multiple lanes of the highway before control of the vehicle was regained. This is going to cause deaths known issues with other Sequoias.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jul 012016

Sequoia

While driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia, I encountered two significant safety issues that were recalled as part of a prior nhsta campaign (10V-176). While my Toyota is manufactured within the same window of a recall, my VIN was not included. Nhsta has opened an active investigation (PE16006) in response to other owners with the same issues. Issue #1: traction control system on several occasions, the vehicle would not accelerate properly from a stopped position. The code based on the vcs warning light indicated an issue with the center position of the steering angle sensor (SAS). The sensor was replaced and the ECU programming was updated to resolve the safety issue. Issue #2: electronic stability control on multiple occasions, the vehicle lost control while driving due to an issue with a faulty yaw rate sensor. While driving at various speeds, the vsc and traction warning lights illuminated as the vehicle pulled to the right. When the issue occurred, the vehicle makes a grinding sound and pulls very hard to the right. The vehicle loses acceleration and feels like the anti-lock braking mechanism is being engaged. The jerking pull resulted in crossing multiple lanes of the highway before control of the vehicle was regained. The mechanic experienced the same issue, and had to pull over to regain composure after almost getting into an accident. The faulty yaw sensor was replaced to repair the defect. After experiencing the issues with the Toyota sensors that almost caused an accident, I had the faulty sensors replaced. I have requested reimbursement from Toyota but was denied. The repair was for the safety issues which are under recall for the same model year (April 2002 April 2003), as my vehicle is manufactured in May 2002. The repairs included the defective steering sensor and the yaw stability sensor required to safely drive the vehicle.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 172016

Sequoia

When I entered the freeway, my vsc trak and vsc off lights came on, and the vehicle pulled to the right suddenly. I exited the freeway, and inspected my vehicle, to find nothing visible. I re-entered the freeway, traveled approx 100 miles, with no issue. Then, the same evening, I exited the toll road near my home, when the vsc trak and vsc off lights flashed and beeped, and brakes locked up on and off violently, as if the vehicle was possessed. I managed to get it home, as I was only about a mile from there, where I parked it, and had it towed to a shop. The mechanic was able to pull a code...the yaw sensor. But, the mechanic said that he could not guarantee that this would fix the problem. This happens while driving straight, after turning left or right, at any speed, and with no warning or visible reason for doing so. This poses a huge safety issue, especially while driving on the freeways at higher speeds. This issue could cause a deadly disaster at high speeds, and with many other vehicles on the road. This is definitely not an issue to ignore or take lightly.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Aug 232016

Sequoia

When driving 70 mph on the interstate, the vehicle periodically yanks hard to the right, it sounds like I have a flat tire, front right tire feels and sounds like it stopped turning. Car slows, vsc system idiot lights flash and beep. After I have successfully though unintentionally run another car off the road it returns to normal. The idiot lights stay on until the car is turned off. Has been taken to mechanics numerous times in last few weeks, cannot find a problem. But keeps happening. Mechanic is aware of 2003 and newer recall for the same reason, tried recalibrating yaw sensor successfully. 3 days later it happened again mechanics says the sensor may be periodically malfunctioning, over correcting for a nonexistent problem. It has happened going 30 mph once, as well as today the lights and beeping went off at a dead stop in my driveway. Went straight to mechanics, turned off car to go inside, nothing found when he pulled it

- Holt, FL, USA

Aug 042016

Sequoia

When accelerating from stationary during dry conditions, the vcs light turns on and starts beeping while the anti-lock brakes engage suddenly with power loss and significant front end vibration. There is a loss of steering control and much slower braking which is dangerous and almost caused an accident. When the vehicle finally comes to a stop, the "vsc trac" and "trac off" lights come on and stay on and the car drives fine from that point on until turned off. When the "trac off" and "vcs trac" lights stay on after starting the car, the problem does not present itself. However, if those lights are not on when putting the car into drive, the problem will happen within the first mile. The code reader does not show a specific cause so officially unknown, however, the situation sounds exactly like that of other 2002 and later sequioas that were recalled for this problem. Our 2002 was not included in the recall as it was manufactured prior to the recall date but appears that it should have been.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 232016

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While attempting to accelerate from a stop, the stability light flashed on the instrument panel and the vehicle accelerated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that the yaw-rate sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in a recall. The failure mileage was 191,000.

- Easley, SC, USA

May 062016

Sequoia

Trac off-road lights, trac vsc light, beeping, pulled right and decelerate on interstate. Fornunately, in the right lane otherwise do would have caused a major accident. Speed approximately 70 mph

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Aug 252016

Sequoia

Whether driving on residential streets or on the freeway, I have experienced unexpected pulls (jerking) on my steering wheel and would hear grinding noise where I can feel my car shaking (as if I was dragging a metal scraping the road as I am driving). This will happen for a few seconds (to as long as almost a minute, until I pulled over and turned off my engine in one case where I was driving on the freeway). Every time this occurs, the vsc light comes on and remains on for quite some time. When I first started experiencing this, a little over a year ago, I brought my car into the Toyota dealership and was told there are no recalls or known issues. It would continue to happen periodically and since it wasn't happening all the time, the dealership would always say there's nothing wrong with my car, whenever I brought it in, because they can't re-create the issue. Lately, it's been happening almost on a daily basis (sometimes 2-3 times a day). Just yesterday, while I was making a U-turn, the vsc came on and locked my steering wheel to the point where it slowed my acceleration for several seconds after the turn. Then, while driving home from work on the freeway (straight, flat surface) going 65 mph, it happened again: My steering wheel jerked to 1 side, the grinding noise was heard and the vsc light came on. And later, while driving 25 mph on residential street (also straight and flat surface) it happened again. Today, I went online and typed in my VIN# and sure enough, it says there are no recalls, however, there's multiple forums and complaints of this issue. There is definitely something wrong, especially if multiple owners are experiencing the same thing. This is definitely a hazard & safety issue because it happens unexpectedly. Friends, family and co-workers who have rode in my car all witnessed and experienced it. Please advise me on a resolution.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 182016

Sequoia

2002 Sequoia purchased used, vsc trac desengages without warning at any time, slowing down the vehicle and making grinding noice in the suspension or breaks, it will reset again after park and shutting the engine off, this problem had happen at least 3 times in about one monthsince this has happened, the warning lights no longer shut off after turning key off, vsc light; trac off dashboard lights stat on. Can the vsc/trac disengaged be due to a faulty sensor: Can't this just stay turned off since there is a vsc trac button in truck to turn it off?

- Century, FL, USA

Aug 182016

Sequoia

While driving my 2002 sequioa at any speed above 20mph, the vehicle makes a terrifying grinding noise, while the skid icon beeps and the trac & vsc lights come on. The steering & braking becomes difficult and the car veers to the right. Its happened several times over the years and I recently learned of this forum. If I start the truck and let it run while I finish getting dressed, the lights will sometimes be on before I start driving and the problem doesn't occur but that could take up to an hour to occur, so I've learned to only drive it when the lights are on on the dash. Been to dealership who only reminds me that there are no recalls on my truck. One dealerships concern was only to sell me another vehicle while reminding me how expensive the issue was to fix, quoting me a repair cost of approximately $3000. I've had the truck since 2003 and it has only 116K miles, partly because I'm scared to either crash and hurt my family or kill someone else's family. I worked hard to pay for this vehicle and would like to keep it but I'm terrified to drive it. Living in Louisiana where hurricane evacuations are common, I need my truck and I cant believe that a reputable company like Toyota wont address the problem. Im a Toyota fan & this is my 3rd Toyota but I think I wont be buying another one.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 022016

Sequoia

2002 Sequoia purchased used, vsc trac desengages without warning at any time, slowing down the vehicle and making grinding noice in the suspension or breaks, it will reset again after park and shutting the engine off, this problem had happen at least 10 times in about one year that I am driving it, due to the unexpected desengage of the vsc trac at any time slowing down the vehicle with out warning and no break light it is a safety concern, I have look in the internet and this problem is very common with this vehicles equiped with the vsc trac, I have called Toyota and there is no recalls for the issue, I believe it it is a malfunction of the system it should be take care unless they are waiting for something drastic to happen, hope I can get some where with this complaint, this is a second Toyota at home and I like to keep both cars for as long as I can. This particular problem does happen at any time in the street at 20 miles higway at 50 some times at 60 miles, during straight ride or turning left or right, please advise I should not have to incurre expences on a factory defective issue.

- Miami Lakes, FL, USA

Aug 052016

Sequoia

Just bought this used vehicle couple weeks ago...to discover that vsc and trac off lights comes go on when driving on surface roads at normal speed. This happens more frequent during a turn either left or right. When that occurs, hear loud grinding noise. This conditions are making the vehicle unsafe to drive. Please address this problem asap before someone gets hurt.

- Molena, GA, USA

Jul 212016

Sequoia

Vsc and trac off lights go on and a horrible grinding noise pulls the car to the right. Not safe my wife and children. Please help.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Jul 172014

Sequoia

When driving down the highway the traction control automatically just come on the whole steering wheel vibrate will be like you're putting on the brakes real fast until the traction control light comes on then everything will stop. This is happened several times dry roads.

- Murchison, TX, USA

Jun 242016

Sequoia

The ABS for the passenger front tire kicks in while driving. You can feel the ABS pump the brake & the vehicle pulls to the right for a few seconds. Then the vsc & traction control lights come on. Twice I've had it diagnosed as a faulty yaw control sensor. It seems to happen more often while towing a trailer. This normally happens while on the highway at a steady speed.

- Independence, KY, USA

Jun 282016

Sequoia

"takata recall", a month ago the vsc/trac light came up. After opening and closing the gas cap, it went away. Then came the grinding sound at the passenger side of the vehicle when slowing down to make a turn and also, a flapping sound (like a flat tire) when moving on the highway.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Aug 212014

Sequoia

No matter what speed, the vsc alarm goes off, the car brakes violently and pulls to the right, and makes a horrible grinding sound. Then the vsc light stays on until the car is turned off and reset. Under warranty, I went to gilroytoyota in 2014 to get this fixed. They told me it was the yaw rate sensor, however that isn't covered in the warranty. It would cost around $800-$1000 to replace. They did replace the brake booster assembly, and that worked for about 6 months until the vsc light came back on and the car pulled and braked again. Very very dangerous when driving on the freeway when this happens, and the alarm goes off and the car brakes and pulls, could result in accident. Makes a horrible grinding noise as well that I can feel in the brake pedal when this happens. The car is always in motion when this happens, always on asphalt, not on dirt or in 4 wheel drive. (I don't use the 4 wheel drive) happens at any speed, either turning or going straight.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Sequoia

Driving at 25 mph vehicle front end started vibrating violently. Thought transmission or cvs joints had disintegrated. Vsc lights lit up pulled over.found nothing wrong" has done numerous times during last year. Started in July 2015 intermittently and currently happens daily. At 65 mph' SUV front end slipped'. also pulls to right. Scary what if on road curving left. People could possibly go off road and be killed and list it as 'driver fell asleep'. read on Toyota forum website, 2003 were recalled. Why not 2002????" people have taken 2002 Sequoia to dealer and delear changed out sensor and computer chip and owners still experienced problem.

- Denair, CA, USA