2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Aug 232011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc/trac activation and system warning lights came on while the system intermittently activated, locking up/letting go of the right rear tire while on dry level pavement and driving forward. I took it to a shop, which found a problem in a steering sensor, "the computer" and possibly a wheel sensor. They suggested that the system be disabled until it could be troubleshoot in more detail. I had them disable it so that it could be driven without the danger of a wheel locking up on the highway. It is still disabled, with dash system warning lights on during operation.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Aug 132013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I am having problem with my Sequoia vsc trac sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Aug 052013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle vsc and trac is auto-engaging during a drive without cause. The vehicle will jerk to a side, and a grinding noise will occur until the vehicle comes to a stop. Braking is slow and takes much longer to stop the vehicle. Electronic beeping is also heard throughout. Vsc and trac lights come on and stay on after the incident until the vehicle is turned off.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jul 092013

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vcs system warning light illuminated as the steering, brakes and acceleration failed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 151,000.

- Midlothian , VA, USA

Jun 102013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving on dry, straight highway when vsc light and trac light come on and beeping started. Vehicle starting trying to engage 4WD I think...lots of grinding in the front end and steering shaking. Went on for about 2 minutes then stopped. Vehicle not easy to control when this happened. Has happened multiple times since. Taking to mechanic this week. Not safe for wife and kids to be driving.

- Amity, OR, USA

Jun 032013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc lights and traction lights have been randomly coming on since we purchased the Sequoia in 2005 with approx. 80K on it. They typically go off on their own and do not cause any issues. Now the slip indicator light comes on, flashes and beeps while locking up the ABS and making it impossible to move until it comes to a complete stop. We have been fortunate that this has only happened at low speeds and not caused any accidents yet. It apperars that this is a wide spread issue with a combination of parts starting with the vsc computer, yaw sensor and steering angle sensor. Hopefully Toyota will take care of this due to the overall safety concern.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 152013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Loyal Toyota owner. All of a sudden beeping, grinding noise, vsc/trac light goes on, passenger front brake locks & very difficult to control the vehicle pulling to one side. The speed was estimated at 35-50 mph, dry road conditions. This problem had been noted several times randomly vehicle skid control (vsc) simply engages at normal speeds. It's the exact same problem as the 2003 which the vsc system & components was recalled. Disappointed with Toyota 2002 not included with recall! unsafe to drive and is dangerous! an accident waiting to happen!

- Sunbury, OH, USA

May 292013

Sequoia 8-cyl

During rush hour, a vehicle before me abruptly stopped. To avoid from hitting them I swerved to the left hitting a wall divider when the front left wheel caved in having me and my family swerve all the way to the right into another sound wall. What I tried to do was hit the brake before going head on into the wall but the gas pedal was stuck causing us to accelerate into the wall. Luckily there were shrubs and bushes to help the car go into a slow as we slid across the wall. I dont know why the gas pedal decide to get stuck and accelerate us into the wall but im hearing from other Sequoia owners that they have had the same problem with their pedals and that needs to be checked out as soon as possible.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

May 142013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia, I pulled into traffic and all of a sudden the truck lost power as cars swerved around me and a violent grinding noise started. A skid control light started flashing. I could feel the grinding on the brake pedal. After a few seconds, the truck beeped and 2 more lights came on. The "trac off" and "vsc" came on. After that the truck drove normal. This has happened multiple times now! I no longer feel safe on the road as this seems to happen at any moment. I have read all about this problem on the internet. Many Sequoia owners have had these same problems. Why will Toyota not fix these problems"?? what has to happen for them to feel responsible?"

- Ellenton, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Trac off, vsc trac lights came on as the rear wheel locked up for a sec. Loss of power, vehicle pulled hard to the right almost causing collision with 18 wheeler on highway.

- Belton, TX, USA

Feb 052013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While traveling home at normal speed the vsc/trac lights came on and the vehicle began vibrating and making a grinding noise. After stopping on the side of the road, I called my husband and was told to turn the vehicle off and on to possibly reset the vsc/trac. It seemed to work briefly but it started to do it again. After making it home, my husband drove the vehicle initially without any issues. However, he attempted to take the vehicle to the store and the problem started again. He noted audible alerts and the vsc/trac lights illuminating, grinding from what seemed to be the passenger side front tire. He had to pull off to the side of the road; however, found it difficult to control the vehicle. The speed was estimated at 35-40 mph, dry conditions with no obvious road conditions or issues. Smoke was observed coming from the passenger front of the vehicle. This problem had been noted several time randomly over the past two years, but has seemingly been resolved by turning the vehicle off and back on. This was the first time that the issue has persisted, and the increased difficulty in steering.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 292012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle skid control simply engages at normal speeds and normal driving conditions. Hard grinding, pulling to the right or left and almost no braking. Yes, they recalled 2003 to 05 but not 2002" why" it's the exact same problem. Someone will be injured at some point and in fact, there are some accounts of injury. In my family's case, this has happened while driving about 8 times since we purchased this from a private dealer and after we had a certified mechanic check it out. This is on Toyota. Please investigate this. This is total negligence and disregard for individual safety.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Nov 232012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Was driving about 45 to 50 mph and a terrible noise started and the brakes barely stopped the vehicle and it became difficult to control.

- Blocksburg, CA, USA

Oct 042010

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have been having the same problem with my 02' Sequoia. At first the vsc trac light/ vsc off would come on & go off after turning engine off. Then it started staying on along w/ ABS light & brake. All the lights continue to stay on. My vehicle only has 126,800 miles which I consider less to be having an issue at this time. I'm a mother of three in which this is my primary vehicle that carries my precious cargo. I really do think that Toyota should issue some kind of recall in regards to this matter, it clearly looks likes this is a problem w/ other Sequoia owners & they need to stand behind there products. Especially when it involves the safety of lives. It would be great if someone could help me w/ this matter.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Oct 262012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Again, after picking the vehicle up from the Toyota service department in which the skid control ECU and brake booster assembly was replaced, the vehicle repeated all alarms and malfunctions as before: Slippery lamp illuminated, alarm sounded, vsc trac and trac off lamp lit while ABS brakes engaged while driving on a slight decline at 45 mph. I returned the vehicle to Toyota immediately! the technicians informed me on the following Monday that the seal for the master cylinder was cracked after replacing the brake booster assy. Surprisingly, it has happened again and I am taking it back to the service department tomorrow morning. There has to be a systemic problem as this problem is a known issue with this type of vehicle. It is disappointing that Toyota would keep these vehicles on the road with know problems of the such. Fortunately for me, there hasn't been any accidents. I fear for the safety myself and my coworker as we commute in the vehicle daily. More importantly, that of my wife and children when we drive the vehicle.

Oct 252012

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving at 50 mph on a flat concrete paved road in dry conditions, the slippery wet lamp lit and the alarm sounded for approximately 10 seconds while the ABS brakes engaged on. The lamp flashed until the brakes released and the vsc trac and trac off lamps illuminated and remained on after restarting the vehicle. This occurrence happened immediately after receiving the vehicle from the Toyota service department in which the skid control ECU was replaced for $770.79. This is a repeated occurrence of the problems. I delivered the vehicle back to Toyota to have it repaired. The technician informed me that the brake booster assembly would need to be replaced to resolve the problem. The maintenance cost $1,606.24 and they kept if for 5 days.

Oct 102012

Sequoia 8-cyl

During my evening commute while driving on I-20 West at 75 mph, the steering wheel tugged and the front brake engaged. Immediately afterwards, the slippery wet lamp flashed and an alarm buzzer sounded for about 10 seconds. Afterwards, the vsc trac and traf off lights illuminated and remained on. I drove to an orientation and while on the way home at 45 mph, all of the previously stated alarms and malfunctions occurred again and the brakes engaged with a loud noise. I stop for gas at my usual 1/4 tank level and while pulling away from the fuel station, all alarms and all malfunctions recurred for the third time within a 24 hour period. The ABS engaged while driving at 10 mph. I called the Toyota service department and coordinated to leave my vehicle in the night deposit box for maintenance the next morning. Toyota kept the vehicle for two days and replaced the skid control ECU anticipating that the problem would be resolved. Previously, I had the brake fluid flushed and replaced on 08/17/2012 as routine maintenance at 262,223 miles. The problem recurred within days.

Oct 112010

Sequoia 8-cyl

This is a repeat occurrence of a problem with the vsc trac and trac off systems. Repeatedly, the lights will come on and remains on until the vehicle is restarted. Again, when I took it the Toyota service department, I was informed that they were unable to replicate the codes. No resolution.

Jun 252010

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving through parking lot and applying brakes, the vsc trac and trac off lights came on and remained on while the vehicle was on. After restarting the vehicle, the lights would not replicate. When taken to the dealer, the technician informed me to bring it in when the lights were on because they were unable to pull the codes.

Oct 112012

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was a stop light with the brakes firmly pressed down when the vehicle lurched forward. It felt as if someone had rear-ended me, however, there was no one behind me. Now the vsc lights are lit up on the dashboard display and it is lurching and power surging at random.

- Ashland City, TN, USA