2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 212016

Vsc and trac off lights go on and a horrible grinding noise pulls the car to the right. Not safe my wife and children. Please help.

- Cypress, CA, USA

May 212016

Vsc trac and vsc off lights illuminated on dash while vehicle was in motion at 70 mph. Lf wheel briefly pulsed brakes for no reason. Lights stayed on after turning car off and re-starting. There are numerous online complaints about problems in Toyota Tundra/Sequoia vsc computers causing this issue. 126K miles on vehicle.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Jun 012012

Normally happens at low speed while accelerating. The skidding car symbol flashes, a warning beeper beeps several times, there is a noticeable swerve to the right accompanied by a grinding noise. The, trac off and the vsc off, lights come on and I am able to continue merrily on my way unannoyed, there is no apparent reduction in braking ability or steering control. I just have the "idiot" lights on the dash until I turn off the ignition. When I next drive the vehicle I am very wary until it happens again, maybe immediately, or 10 to 20 miles. But it always happens. The dealer says a new yaw rate sensor and vsc ECU will fix it. About $1800 above the $105 already paid for the diagnostic fee. What really gets my "goat" is: There is a recall for the "early" 2003 models for this same problem.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Dec 152015

I have a problem with my trac and vsc light coming on while driving. The stability light would blink and beep and both the trac off and vsc light would come on. The brakes would also seem like it's grinding when the stability light is blinking and beeping. I have the exact same problem as this guy on this video

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Feb 172016

The vsc/ABS indicator lights appear intermittently without any warning. The car beeps, makes a heavy grinding noise and the ABS brakes are automatically engaged without any action by the driver regardless of the speed, or whether driving on a highway or city street. The car will fishtail. Based on my research, I have found that this is a common problem among these vehicles and that there was a 2003 recall for this problem. This defect in the same model for the 2002 vehicles seems to be widespread. Must we first have an accident to win rights to be accommodated. Does Toyota not want to make good on its product and satisfy all owners/customers. I worry every time I drive my vehicle and thank god each time I reach my destination without incident. This is the only vehicle we have to drive our severely disabled 10 year old daughter and cannot afford a new vehicle. We are really scared! see other identical consumer complaints at

- Weston, FL, USA

Jan 282016

Vsc trac/ vsc off, ABS, brake lighs come on the vsc trac and the vsc off light come on and off due to a faulty ABS sensor. Toyota dealer can not figure out why or how this faulty light comes on. Did a research online and hundreds of thousand of other Toyota Sequoia owner had the same issues.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 012015

Identical problem as described by many others. Vsc-trac and trac-off lights randomly illuminated on dry, level pavement when brakes were applied, causing a loud grinding noise (much louder than normal application of anti-lock brakes), and car pulled and would not stop no matter how hard the brake pedal was pressed. First couple times, brakes were applied to slow the vehicle in traffic, so the failure to fully stop wasn't noticed. This now happens consistently whenever I drive and does not matter how fast or slow I am going. These failures clearly put vehicles at risk of accidents, and it is difficult to understand why the 2003 Sequoias were recalled for vsc issues, but not the 2002, when the parts being replaced fit both years. I have only had the vehicle for 2 years with 140,000 miles.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Feb 022015

• 2,300,000 miles
2002 Toyota Sequoia vsc trac sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage in motion.

- Stafford, TX, USA

Aug 112015

This has happened about 10 times when the skid light will come on and the vehicle will go left to right and the brakes do not stop the vehicle. Then the vsc off & vsc trac off lights will come on. This has happened at speeds from 15 - 60 mph at times you loose control of the vehicle at the higher speeds for a few seconds. If this ever happens in heavy traffic it will cause an accident. Vehicle has been taken to a Toyota specialist mechanic and they are still replacing parts. I understand that Toyota recalled all 2003 Sequoia's for this problem. My wife now refuses to drive the vehicle until it is fixed properly.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 142015

The first time my ABS/vcs trac lights came on was after I had to brake hard on a downward hill. I accelerated to climb the other side of the hill and it was after doing that which the vcs trac and trac off lights first came on at around 168,000 miles. There was a fast beeping sound lasting for maybe 10 sec then it regained power. Now it will do it within just a few miles of our home. We have had several more occasions since this initial incident where there was a jerking/pulling of the right front tire. Also the air conditioning would come on and off like it was trying to surge. Also idles very low, below 500 RPM and then finally shuts off. This vehicle has become very dangerous to drive. We are not sure what to get fixed on it since we have read that other owners are being told that its anything from a yaw sensor, steering angle sensor, brake booster system, or a skid control computer issue. All of these are very pricey to get fixed and there are no guarantees that they will even correct the problem. Most have had the yaw sensor replaced and it did not correct the problem. Some of the mechanics we have talked to said that there could be brake dust or mud and road grime build up over the sensor making it malfunction and that it should be hosed off at an underbody carwash. We haven't tried this yet since we didn't put much faith in it until we discovered hearing again on youtube. The 2003 Toyota Sequoia vcs recall should be extended down to the 2002 models as well. We all are having the same issue that they did.

- Edgefield, SC, USA

Apr 242015

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving 70 mph, the vsc track warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that there was a loud grinding noise under the vehicle. The contact also stated that the vehicle started grinding and shook when braking. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,069. Updated 8/21/15 the consumer stated the alarm sounded, vsc and traction control lights illuminated. The vehicle veered to the right while driving in the left lane. Updated 08/27/15

- Missouri City , TX, USA

Sep 282014

While driving on fwy, vsc light comes on, the brakes are being applied by the system, causing pulling of the steering into other lanes. Was able to pull over, and it stopped at 10 mph, turned off car and it re-set system, it happened 6 times on the way home, almost causing accidents as it jerks the steering immediately as it applies the brakes to gain stability again. It has happened intermittently ever since, even at slow speeds. It is in shop now, $3500 to fix it, it is a well documented problem on the net, this should be a recall. Someone will get killed, a cyclist in a shoulder, or car hitting another or losing control and rolling over. With all the complaints regarding the vsc system, how can you ignore it?

- Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Apr 252015

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vehicle was being driven on a dry paved road. The vsc and traction warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle pulled hard to the right, nearly causing an accident. The steering wheel becomes difficult to steer, the vehicle loses power, and the brakes inadvertently engage, making a terrible grinding noise. The problem happens at least once, each time the vehicle is restarted. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V176000 (traction control system) for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia - this failure is most likely related.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 162015

Sequoia 8-cyl

After driving 45 miles then driving in a busy town then back 45 miles to home town I was going 55 mph and all the sudden I lost power, a dinging noise happened and I lost breakage, the vcs off and vcs track light came on, the vehicle start driving rough. I then went home. Then after a few hour I had to go get my son I started the vehicle and noticed the lights were off, after only going 3 miles and with my son in the vehicle it made the ding noise lost power lights vcs off vcs trak lights came back on, very scary, hope they recall it soon, my Sequoia was made August 2002.

- Beaver Dam, KY, USA

May 242012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc light came on and has not gone off..dealership says its the computer and that 2003 and later have bee recalled for this problem but not 2002 "?" vsc not able to activate at all.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Dec 142014

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vsc, ABS, trac, and brake warning lights sporadically illuminated. As a result, the vehicle pulsated and veered to the right. The contact stated that the vehicle was exhibiting the same failure as listed in NHTSA campaign number: 10V176000 (electronic stability control, traction control system). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the SAS sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,463.

- Boynton Beach , FL, USA

Oct 012014

Sequoia 8-cyl

At stop and starting to accelerate vehicle hesitates while trying to go into intersection. Stalls for a few seconds vsc light comes on and once system gains control it lets me actually accelerate and proceed. Dangerous due to oncoming traffic and the hesitation time of not knowing how long until I regain control.

- Columbia, TN, USA

Aug 012007

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the vehicle stability control and the traction control light remained illuminated. Also, the contact mentioned that while driving during inclement weather, the brakes made a loud grinding noise and did not engage in a timely manner. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the master cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Houston , TX, USA

Feb 112009

Sequoia 8-cyl

In Feb. 2009, while driving to work, the brakes on my Sequoia began to lock and the engine started making a loud grinding sound and sensor lights began to blink uncontrollably. I could not control the car steering and was lucky that I was able to pull over the side of the road. This problem continued and I took it to my Toyota dealer who charged me $2700 and blamed the problem on rats. After picking up my car from the dealership the problem continued a few weeks later and the same dealership still insisted that it was rats and charged me an additional $2300. Yet this problem persisted so I took it to a local mechanic who has no ties with Toyota and he replaced a computer sensor. The problem went away for at least two years until recently during a recent rain storm it started to act up again. Driving this car has been unpredictable and scary at best. I came into several close calls with other vehicles on the road while driving when my car would loose all ability to steer and my brakes would lock during several instances. The experience has been a mind game and has taken a toll in my confidence in driving because I believed my dealership when they told me it was not the car, but because of rats, which I now know after reading other customers complaints on line that it was the way the car was manufactured. I lost a lot of faith in my Toyota dealership here in guam. I need your help to tell these people to recall my car to fix it even though it is 12 years old. I spent a lot of money when I invested in this car and I don't have the money to buy a new vehicle at this time. I am afraid an accident will occur to customers like me unless Toyota admits they have a problem with their vehicles.

- Hagatna, GU, USA

Aug 012011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while traveling 75 mph, the brakes and steering wheel seized. The contact also mentioned that the traction control warning light illuminated. The failure was experienced multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated that the rotors and brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. Updated 09/18/14 the consumer stated the failure concerning the vehicle is identical to the failure described in the 2004-2005 model year vehicles. Updated 2/3/2015

- Perry , GA, USA