2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 142016

Sequoia

I purchased my Sequoia in 2003 and the trac off/vsc trac lights started turning on a few months after purchase. I have told the dealer every time I bring the car for service and have always been told that they cannot find a problem. Once I turn off car the lights go off. Well, on July 2015 while traveling on a windy road at 35 mph, we heard an warning alarm sound for the first time and the steering locked for about two seconds and the car felt like we had a flat tire or dragging something underneath. After about 10 seconds the car resumed back to normal as if nothing had happened. About two weeks later, I was backing out of a parking stall and it did the exact thing, including steering wheel locking. I thought I had raned over something, but the car went back to normal. Now every two weeks after I get on the freeway this seems to happen, one time it sounded like my engine fell off. Sometimes is worse than others and it doesn't matter if I'm going 25 or 65 mph. A few months ago I was traveling at 65 and the alarm came on, the grinding and dragging noise and my car started slowing down and swirved to the right. I just barely missed a motorcyclist. Lucky no one was behind me or I would have been rear ended. I purchased Toyota for their safety and quality reputation. I take good care of my car and safety of my family is my priority. As I stated before, I have been complaining about this issue to my Toyota dealer for years and they tell me there is no problem with my car. Now my problem is much bigger than just a light turning on. This should be a major concern and we should not wait for a loss of life to happen. Any car that loses power in the middle of a freeway without warning should be of grave concern to all. I love my car but cannot afford to trade it in.

- Downey, CA, USA

Oct 272016

Sequoia

Complaint - electronic stability control, steering, vehicle speed control while driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia while turning on city street & highway I encountered two significant safety issues the traction control system comes on while driving at various speeds, the vsc and traction warning lights ABS & engine lights are illuminated as the vehicle pulled to the left/right. When the issue occurred, the vehicle makes a grinding sound and pulls very hard to the left/right. The vehicle loses acceleration and feels like the anti-lock braking mechanism is being engaged. The jerking pull resulted in crossing multiple lanes of the highway before control of the vehicle was regained. This is going to cause deaths known issues with other Sequoias.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Nov 062015

Sequoia

The brakes of the car, and we I drive I can't drive more than 80 miles pr hour because it checks.I fixed the brakes and the light stay on for ever now every time I have to remember to take the foot brake.

- Westn, FL, USA

Sep 172016

Sequoia

When I entered the freeway, my vsc trak and vsc off lights came on, and the vehicle pulled to the right suddenly. I exited the freeway, and inspected my vehicle, to find nothing visible. I re-entered the freeway, traveled approx 100 miles, with no issue. Then, the same evening, I exited the toll road near my home, when the vsc trak and vsc off lights flashed and beeped, and brakes locked up on and off violently, as if the vehicle was possessed. I managed to get it home, as I was only about a mile from there, where I parked it, and had it towed to a shop. The mechanic was able to pull a code...the yaw sensor. But, the mechanic said that he could not guarantee that this would fix the problem. This happens while driving straight, after turning left or right, at any speed, and with no warning or visible reason for doing so. This poses a huge safety issue, especially while driving on the freeways at higher speeds. This issue could cause a deadly disaster at high speeds, and with many other vehicles on the road. This is definitely not an issue to ignore or take lightly.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Aug 232016

Sequoia

When driving 70 mph on the interstate, the vehicle periodically yanks hard to the right, it sounds like I have a flat tire, front right tire feels and sounds like it stopped turning. Car slows, vsc system idiot lights flash and beep. After I have successfully though unintentionally run another car off the road it returns to normal. The idiot lights stay on until the car is turned off. Has been taken to mechanics numerous times in last few weeks, cannot find a problem. But keeps happening. Mechanic is aware of 2003 and newer recall for the same reason, tried recalibrating yaw sensor successfully. 3 days later it happened again mechanics says the sensor may be periodically malfunctioning, over correcting for a nonexistent problem. It has happened going 30 mph once, as well as today the lights and beeping went off at a dead stop in my driveway. Went straight to mechanics, turned off car to go inside, nothing found when he pulled it

- Holt, FL, USA

Jul 212016

Sequoia

Vsc and trac off lights go on and a horrible grinding noise pulls the car to the right. Not safe my wife and children. Please help.

- Cypress, CA, USA

May 212016

Sequoia

Vsc trac and vsc off lights illuminated on dash while vehicle was in motion at 70 mph. Lf wheel briefly pulsed brakes for no reason. Lights stayed on after turning car off and re-starting. There are numerous online complaints about problems in Toyota Tundra/Sequoia vsc computers causing this issue. 126K miles on vehicle.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Jun 012012

Sequoia

Normally happens at low speed while accelerating. The skidding car symbol flashes, a warning beeper beeps several times, there is a noticeable swerve to the right accompanied by a grinding noise. The, trac off and the vsc off, lights come on and I am able to continue merrily on my way unannoyed, there is no apparent reduction in braking ability or steering control. I just have the "idiot" lights on the dash until I turn off the ignition. When I next drive the vehicle I am very wary until it happens again, maybe immediately, or 10 to 20 miles. But it always happens. The dealer says a new yaw rate sensor and vsc ECU will fix it. About $1800 above the $105 already paid for the diagnostic fee. What really gets my "goat" is: There is a recall for the "early" 2003 models for this same problem.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Dec 152015

Sequoia

I have a problem with my trac and vsc light coming on while driving. The stability light would blink and beep and both the trac off and vsc light would come on. The brakes would also seem like it's grinding when the stability light is blinking and beeping. I have the exact same problem as this guy on this video https://youtu.be/vgearn4nito

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Feb 172016

Sequoia

The vsc/ABS indicator lights appear intermittently without any warning. The car beeps, makes a heavy grinding noise and the ABS brakes are automatically engaged without any action by the driver regardless of the speed, or whether driving on a highway or city street. The car will fishtail. Based on my research, I have found that this is a common problem among these vehicles and that there was a 2003 recall for this problem. This defect in the same model for the 2002 vehicles seems to be widespread. Must we first have an accident to win rights to be accommodated. Does Toyota not want to make good on its product and satisfy all owners/customers. I worry every time I drive my vehicle and thank god each time I reach my destination without incident. This is the only vehicle we have to drive our severely disabled 10 year old daughter and cannot afford a new vehicle. We are really scared! see other identical consumer complaints at www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Sequoia/2002/brakes/electronic_stability_control-4.shtml

- Weston, FL, USA

Jan 282016

Sequoia

Vsc trac/ vsc off, ABS, brake lighs come on the vsc trac and the vsc off light come on and off due to a faulty ABS sensor. Toyota dealer can not figure out why or how this faulty light comes on. Did a research online and hundreds of thousand of other Toyota Sequoia owner had the same issues.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 012015

Sequoia

Identical problem as described by many others. Vsc-trac and trac-off lights randomly illuminated on dry, level pavement when brakes were applied, causing a loud grinding noise (much louder than normal application of anti-lock brakes), and car pulled and would not stop no matter how hard the brake pedal was pressed. First couple times, brakes were applied to slow the vehicle in traffic, so the failure to fully stop wasn't noticed. This now happens consistently whenever I drive and does not matter how fast or slow I am going. These failures clearly put vehicles at risk of accidents, and it is difficult to understand why the 2003 Sequoias were recalled for vsc issues, but not the 2002, when the parts being replaced fit both years. I have only had the vehicle for 2 years with 140,000 miles.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Feb 022015

• 2,300,000 miles
2002 Toyota Sequoia vsc trac sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage in motion.

- Stafford, TX, USA

Aug 112015

Sequoia

This has happened about 10 times when the skid light will come on and the vehicle will go left to right and the brakes do not stop the vehicle. Then the vsc off & vsc trac off lights will come on. This has happened at speeds from 15 - 60 mph at times you loose control of the vehicle at the higher speeds for a few seconds. If this ever happens in heavy traffic it will cause an accident. Vehicle has been taken to a Toyota specialist mechanic and they are still replacing parts. I understand that Toyota recalled all 2003 Sequoia's for this problem. My wife now refuses to drive the vehicle until it is fixed properly.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 142015

Sequoia

The first time my ABS/vcs trac lights came on was after I had to brake hard on a downward hill. I accelerated to climb the other side of the hill and it was after doing that which the vcs trac and trac off lights first came on at around 168,000 miles. There was a fast beeping sound lasting for maybe 10 sec then it regained power. Now it will do it within just a few miles of our home. We have had several more occasions since this initial incident where there was a jerking/pulling of the right front tire. Also the air conditioning would come on and off like it was trying to surge. Also idles very low, below 500 RPM and then finally shuts off. This vehicle has become very dangerous to drive. We are not sure what to get fixed on it since we have read that other owners are being told that its anything from a yaw sensor, steering angle sensor, brake booster system, or a skid control computer issue. All of these are very pricey to get fixed and there are no guarantees that they will even correct the problem. Most have had the yaw sensor replaced and it did not correct the problem. Some of the mechanics we have talked to said that there could be brake dust or mud and road grime build up over the sensor making it malfunction and that it should be hosed off at an underbody carwash. We haven't tried this yet since we didn't put much faith in it until we discovered hearing again on youtube. The 2003 Toyota Sequoia vcs recall should be extended down to the 2002 models as well. We all are having the same issue that they did.

- Edgefield, SC, USA

Apr 242015

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving 70 mph, the vsc track warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that there was a loud grinding noise under the vehicle. The contact also stated that the vehicle started grinding and shook when braking. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,069. Updated 8/21/15 the consumer stated the alarm sounded, vsc and traction control lights illuminated. The vehicle veered to the right while driving in the left lane. Updated 08/27/15

- Missouri City , TX, USA

Sep 282014

Sequoia

While driving on fwy, vsc light comes on, the brakes are being applied by the system, causing pulling of the steering into other lanes. Was able to pull over, and it stopped at 10 mph, turned off car and it re-set system, it happened 6 times on the way home, almost causing accidents as it jerks the steering immediately as it applies the brakes to gain stability again. It has happened intermittently ever since, even at slow speeds. It is in shop now, $3500 to fix it, it is a well documented problem on the net, this should be a recall. Someone will get killed, a cyclist in a shoulder, or car hitting another or losing control and rolling over. With all the complaints regarding the vsc system, how can you ignore it?

- Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Apr 252015

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vehicle was being driven on a dry paved road. The vsc and traction warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle pulled hard to the right, nearly causing an accident. The steering wheel becomes difficult to steer, the vehicle loses power, and the brakes inadvertently engage, making a terrible grinding noise. The problem happens at least once, each time the vehicle is restarted. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V176000 (traction control system) for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia - this failure is most likely related.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 162015

Sequoia 8-cyl

After driving 45 miles then driving in a busy town then back 45 miles to home town I was going 55 mph and all the sudden I lost power, a dinging noise happened and I lost breakage, the vcs off and vcs track light came on, the vehicle start driving rough. I then went home. Then after a few hour I had to go get my son I started the vehicle and noticed the lights were off, after only going 3 miles and with my son in the vehicle it made the ding noise lost power lights vcs off vcs trak lights came back on, very scary, hope they recall it soon, my Sequoia was made August 2002.

- Beaver Dam, KY, USA

May 242012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc light came on and has not gone off..dealership says its the computer and that 2003 and later have bee recalled for this problem but not 2002 "?" vsc not able to activate at all.

- Hilliard, OH, USA