2002 Toyota Sequoia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Sep 162012

Sequoia 8-cyl

When I was about to leave the church parking lot, I started to feel the steering wheel was a little bit hard to turn. As I made 2 more turns, it seemed the steering wheel became harder to maneuver and it even got me to a near accident when I almost hit a car while my Sequoia was trying to make a wide turn to the right. Luckily I reached home from a mile and a half drive without having any accident. When I checked the truck underneath, I found out, there was a steering oil leak coming from the gear assembly near the boot. What made me more disappointed was that I found out there was an excessive rusting on the gear assembly and with most parts of the chassis assy as well. I think the rust has eaten the metal so much that it made a hole through the oil line in the gear assy. The rusting, I believe, was too much for a ten year old SUV.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Jul 172012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Frame of vehicle is rusted and very thin in areas. The suspension and rear axle housing is rusting also. Frame is very close to developing holes and is de-laminating I believe it is unsafe to drive and Toyota will not do anything about it.

- Dunmore, PA, USA

May 132012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Was driving on the interstate in the left hand lane. Tried to merge into the right hand lane and noticed a car in my blind spot so I went back into the left lane. However, my vsc/ABS lights went on, the car beeped, made a heavy grinding noise, and then, with much force, veered hard to the right. I tried to steer it back to the left hand lane, the other drivers saw me wrestling with my steering wheel and the car started to fishtail so fortunately they stayed well behind me. The car became impossible to control and steer and braking did not help. Despite my best efforts to control the car, apply the brakes, steer out of the skidding and fishtailing, my car then went over into the right lane, over to the shoulder, and then the wheel sunk into the grass next to the shoulder where the vehicle rolled over several times. My son and I were airlifted to the trauma unit. I suffered 2 broken vertebrae in the C area of my neck and a compressed disc in the T region of my spine, concussion, cuts, bruises, glass embedded near my eye, as well as a splenic aneurysm. My son had a concussion, wound on the head that required stitches, cuts, bruises and a sprained ankle. My son and I were both unconscious at the accident two daughters had minor cuts, sprains, and bruises. We were fortunate to have come out of this alive and not to have hit anyone else. I am still in a neck brace and undergoing medical treatment. Toyota needs to recall this model as soon as possible. We could have all been killed. Unfortunately, my car was totaled and there was no black box in this model. I will never buy a car from Toyota again. However, for the safety of others, I do hope they recall this model as I would hate for others to suffer what we had to suffer, or worse. Updated 10/19/12 updated 10/23/2012

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Nov 072010

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and recently my vsc has been was feels like a lock up, I hear something grinding and the car begins to shake and swerve, it happened as I was entering the interstate. I have had issues with the vsc light going on and off and did mention to the service dept. At the dealership when it was under warranty, they said they could not find anything wrong. It has been a few years since the problem has occurred and now it is worse and a very scary and dangerous situation. I had my daughter and a her friend in the car and we were nowhere near a town. I am very scared to drive my car. It now happens almost everytime I go somewhere, and the dealership wants to charge me just to evaluate the problem when I had previously mentioned it before. I hope there is a recall very soon.

- Cypress, TX, USA

May 282004

2002 Toyota Sequoia has been operating since @ 62,000 miles with a non-functioning vsc/ABS system. See that this has not yet been officially recalled, but can find all kinds of info and complaints on the web about this issue. Dashboard lit up with all relative warning lights & vehicle has no ABS nor vsc functionality. How could this important safety features well documented, chronic failure not be recalled? it is not exclusive to the 2002 model year either. This is very inappropriate. How many people have to die or get injured before this well documented safety equipment failure is responsibly addressed with a recall. I hope my complaint helps the tally towards this recall. Consumers of this vehicle have bought it with a critical safety system that fails. Toyota must be made to rectify this product safety and quality issue!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 162007

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving from atlanta to charlotte on Friday, 2/16/07 on interstate 85 when my 2002 Toyota Sequoia suddenly pulled to the right even though I did not turn the steering wheel, nor was it windy. This happened a total of four times on my 250 mile trip. This condition has also occurred before in the past with no warning of when it will happen. I purchased new tires and had it aligned in July 2006 and there was no apparent damage in the steering area of the vehicle.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 152006

Sequoia 8-cyl

I am a police officer and purchased a new 2002 Sequoia with high expectations. Shortly after my purchase I noticed that something felt loose in the steering column whenever I shifted the gear handle. The dealer said that there was nothing wrong with it and don't worry about it. The dealer also failed to document my concerns into my vehicle's service record history. Since that time, the vehicle has never received any mechanical damage or had any type of work other than routine maintenance done to it. Now, here I am with a Toyota vehicle with only 40,000 miles and a piece of metal has snapped inside of the steering column. The defective parts failure has caused the vehicle to be completely unsafe to operate and the slightest bump to shift the transmission to and from different gears while operating. I took it to the dealer to be repaired under the 5 year warranty and they said that they had never seen this problem before and it shouldn't have happened, but that they would do absolutely nothing to help me out with the problem. I informed the dealer to save the defective part, because it needed to be examined for manufacturers defect. At no time did the dealer ever mentioned, much less offer to have Toyota engineers examine the defective part. I should be receiving the defective part within the next few days. This problem was strictly due to a manufacturers defective part, yet Toyota refuses to do the right thing and stand behind their product. I am very disappointed in Toyota's lack of quality and especially in it's lack of service commitment. Needless to say, I will never buy another Toyota product and will definitely spread the word about Toyota's refusal to warranty an obviously defective part. Updated 6/01/06

- Coppell, TX, USA