2002 Toyota Sequoia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 252016

Vse/trac light and trac off light comes on, beeping sound. Traveling at 70 mph or 65 mph vehicle veers left and steering becomes difficult. Just this happened three times within 24 hours on interstate driving. This is the same problem discussed in a recall of the 2003 through 2005 models. Many problems of the same nature are reported on internet forums for the 2000 T-model. This is very dangerous. It happens when the road conditions are dry and no hazardous conditions.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Mar 012016

Power steering fluid was leaking.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Jun 012012

Normally happens at low speed while accelerating. The skidding car symbol flashes, a warning beeper beeps several times, there is a noticeable swerve to the right accompanied by a grinding noise. The, trac off and the vsc off, lights come on and I am able to continue merrily on my way unannoyed, there is no apparent reduction in braking ability or steering control. I just have the "idiot" lights on the dash until I turn off the ignition. When I next drive the vehicle I am very wary until it happens again, maybe immediately, or 10 to 20 miles. But it always happens. The dealer says a new yaw rate sensor and vsc ECU will fix it. About $1800 above the $105 already paid for the diagnostic fee. What really gets my "goat" is: There is a recall for the "early" 2003 models for this same problem.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Jan 012016

I have a 2002 Sequoia and the dealership has been doing the repairs since I purchased it in 2003. I took in the recall for the ball joints and even before I received it I had an issue. When turning right, mostly in curves there is a loud grinding in the frontend and has been doing this since I purchased the car. They told me that here was not a problem but I am still having this problem and now the trac has to stabilize my car, this has happen while traveling no turns. The trac light is on and off constantly for whatever reason they can not explain it to me. This is getting dangerous for me I have spent money on this car lately but this is a very large repair and need to know what can be done to get this fixed I was also told that there is not an issue with my airbag as well that my car was not affected. I need help with this, this is my only transportation and this is getting dangerous.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Oct 012015

Identical problem as described by many others. Vsc-trac and trac-off lights randomly illuminated on dry, level pavement when brakes were applied, causing a loud grinding noise (much louder than normal application of anti-lock brakes), and car pulled and would not stop no matter how hard the brake pedal was pressed. First couple times, brakes were applied to slow the vehicle in traffic, so the failure to fully stop wasn't noticed. This now happens consistently whenever I drive and does not matter how fast or slow I am going. These failures clearly put vehicles at risk of accidents, and it is difficult to understand why the 2003 Sequoias were recalled for vsc issues, but not the 2002, when the parts being replaced fit both years. I have only had the vehicle for 2 years with 140,000 miles.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Aug 112015

This has happened about 10 times when the skid light will come on and the vehicle will go left to right and the brakes do not stop the vehicle. Then the vsc off & vsc trac off lights will come on. This has happened at speeds from 15 - 60 mph at times you loose control of the vehicle at the higher speeds for a few seconds. If this ever happens in heavy traffic it will cause an accident. Vehicle has been taken to a Toyota specialist mechanic and they are still replacing parts. I understand that Toyota recalled all 2003 Sequoia's for this problem. My wife now refuses to drive the vehicle until it is fixed properly.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 242015

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving 70 mph, the vsc track warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that there was a loud grinding noise under the vehicle. The contact also stated that the vehicle started grinding and shook when braking. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,069. Updated 8/21/15 the consumer stated the alarm sounded, vsc and traction control lights illuminated. The vehicle veered to the right while driving in the left lane. Updated 08/27/15

- Missouri City , TX, USA

Aug 132014

Driving on paved public road, dry road conditions in summertime at low speed,10-20 mph, the vsc and trac off warning lights on instrument panel light up with and audible bell type alarm at the same time the right front wheel makes a loud thump causing the vehicle to pull hard to the right and with very hard front end vibration. At which time there is no brake control, steering control or acceleration control for approximately 20 seconds that has caused a few near miss vehicle collisions with other vehicles or off the road towards an embankment. The Sequoia was taken to a Toyota dealership service center where the technician stated they can only clear the fault code in the vehicle's computer. Since the fault code has been cleared, 5 more episodes of the same identical senerios with both wet and dry road conditions but not standing water on the roadway, and also a couple of times during speeds between 60-70 mph. This is an intermittent anomaly, but happens 3-4 days in a row between instances.

- Prattville , AL, USA

Apr 172015

This has occurred several times: Grinding noise, car pulls to the right and vsc and trac lights come on indicating vsc and trac are disengaged. Can drive ok after this occurs. However, when car is turned off and started again the warning lights go out and it's impossible to predict when it will occur again. There was a recall issued in 2010 for the 2003 model Sequoia with this same issue, however this recall for some reason did not cover the 2002 which is having the same problem! please have Toyota expand the recall to include other years as this is a common problem in Sequoias!!!

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 252015

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vehicle was being driven on a dry paved road. The vsc and traction warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle pulled hard to the right, nearly causing an accident. The steering wheel becomes difficult to steer, the vehicle loses power, and the brakes inadvertently engage, making a terrible grinding noise. The problem happens at least once, each time the vehicle is restarted. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V176000 (traction control system) for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia - this failure is most likely related.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 152014

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the frame on the rear of the vehicle was corroded. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. However, the contact stated that two weeks later, the tie rods fractured from the rear of the vehicle and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 165,000.

- Anitioch, TN, USA

Jan 272015

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the track warning lamp illuminated upon making a turn and that the steering wheel was tight and vibrating. The contact mentioned that the suspension was unstable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was not able to replicate or diagnose the failure. In addition, the contact was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V312000 (air bags) and stated that the parts needed were not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the delay. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Sep 292014

Sequoia 8-cyl

After hearing a clunking noise while driving, I took the Sequoia to the Toyota repair center where they inspected it and told me that the entire frame underneath the car was rusted through and had actually cracked in half towards the front end of the vehicle making it dangerous to drive. They informed me that Toyota had issued an extended warranty several months prior, but which had expired 1 month before I brought the vehicle in. Upon calling Toyota customer service, they told me that the extended warranty was only issued for Sequoia's to receive an under-coating to prevent freeze rust during the colder months and that if they noticed the frame was already broken down, only then would they replace it. Since I had already gotten an under-coating done by my mechanic prior to Toyota sending us the notice, I did not bring our vehicle to Toyota's repair center. For this reason, Toyota said they could do nothing about our broken frame since we never came in for our under-coating. I cannot understand how my Sequoia, at only 10 years old, can have such extensive damage if it was supposed to be properly created and installed in the first place. To have the frame completely rusted through and actually crack in half, all while my wife was using the car to drive my children to and from school, practice, etc., is especially disconcerting after hearing how dangerous it was to be driving it by the Toyota mechanic. I believe that it is Toyota's duty to fix this issue with my vehicle since it was their negligence that created this poorly constructed vehicle/frame and I am issuing this complaint in order to pursue Toyota in this endeavor.

- Poughquag, NY, USA

Feb 112009

Sequoia 8-cyl

In Feb. 2009, while driving to work, the brakes on my Sequoia began to lock and the engine started making a loud grinding sound and sensor lights began to blink uncontrollably. I could not control the car steering and was lucky that I was able to pull over the side of the road. This problem continued and I took it to my Toyota dealer who charged me $2700 and blamed the problem on rats. After picking up my car from the dealership the problem continued a few weeks later and the same dealership still insisted that it was rats and charged me an additional $2300. Yet this problem persisted so I took it to a local mechanic who has no ties with Toyota and he replaced a computer sensor. The problem went away for at least two years until recently during a recent rain storm it started to act up again. Driving this car has been unpredictable and scary at best. I came into several close calls with other vehicles on the road while driving when my car would loose all ability to steer and my brakes would lock during several instances. The experience has been a mind game and has taken a toll in my confidence in driving because I believed my dealership when they told me it was not the car, but because of rats, which I now know after reading other customers complaints on line that it was the way the car was manufactured. I lost a lot of faith in my Toyota dealership here in guam. I need your help to tell these people to recall my car to fix it even though it is 12 years old. I spent a lot of money when I invested in this car and I don't have the money to buy a new vehicle at this time. I am afraid an accident will occur to customers like me unless Toyota admits they have a problem with their vehicles.

- Hagatna, GU, USA

Aug 012011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while traveling 75 mph, the brakes and steering wheel seized. The contact also mentioned that the traction control warning light illuminated. The failure was experienced multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated that the rotors and brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. Updated 09/18/14 the consumer stated the failure concerning the vehicle is identical to the failure described in the 2004-2005 model year vehicles. Updated 2/3/2015

- Perry , GA, USA

Aug 152014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Last month, while traveling home from summer vacation on flat ground, at approximately 60 mph, the vsc, trac lights came on in the dash. There was a terrible grinding noise from under the car and beeping inside the car. The car pulled hard to the right and decelerated abruptly in the middle of a busy highway. Thank goodness I was able to pull into the turn lane and limp into a gas station. This occurred three more times over the next 500 miles until I got home. I took it to the dealer, they replaced the yaw sensor. Only 3 days after that, it happened again. Took it to the dealer, they replaced two brake sensors and a master cylinder. Today, five days after that, it happened again. This time, thankfully at only 25 mph with no traffic. This is a very scary, dangerous problem that Toyota should not be ignoring. It has been recalled in the 2003 model, and should be in the 2002 model as well!

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Jul 022014

Sequoia 8-cyl

While traveling down the interstate at 65 mph on a flat, even surface under good weather conditions, the vehicle stability control unexpectedly engaged, the vsc trac and trac off lights illuminated. The vehicle's brakes engaged, the steering began to pull to the right, a grinding noise occurred, and the vehicle became very difficult to control. This is not the first time this has happened. The last time was approximately 3 weeks ago (also highway travel at 65+mph). Before that, it had been a while. This seems to be a completely random occurrence. However, this poses a serious problem and with two small children, it is extremely concerning. Based on what I've read, this is common in this model year vehicle. Not sure why a recall has not been made.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 082010

Sequoia 8-cyl

Makes a grinding noise, brakes on one side and pulls to one side. Skid indicator light, trac off light, and vsc light all come on and stay on. Vehicle decelerates momentarily, then resumes normal driving. Lights stay on until you turn off the vehicle.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Jun 132014

Sequoia 8-cyl

On interstate twice doing the posted speed 75mph I heard a grinding, vsc antilock brake lights come on, vehicle suddenly pulls to the right. Luckily I gained control and avoided a major accident. Have had brakes checked and now told its the sensor. Very costly repairs. Toyota should have a recall on this issue. Could cause a deadly accident.

- Denison, TX, USA

May 232014

In the fast lane I-10 East mm 110 driver tire and spindle fell off and went under car skid across 4 lanes with my 3 kids 8-4- 7 weeks and wife.recall already been done happened on pass side 10K ago also supposedly replaced could have killed all of us went to Toyota the first time and was told "we'll it has over 100K mi" does that mean after a Toyota has 100K mi the front end will fall off and possible kill everyone, keep in mind recall was already done once I don't believe it.I have owned Toyota's all my life my father has worked for them since 78' I have his 85 4runner with 360K on it and I am a mechanic myself and have turned dozens of people to Toyota's this is not acceptable I will be getting a lawyer and buying a Chevy on Tuesday.

- San Juan Capo, CA, USA